The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes in late July. My doctor was aggressive and started me on Metformin and I'm now taking 1000mg twice a day. I have been taking it religiously except for a week while I was recovering from a tonsillectomy. I have been back on my medicine religiously for a little over a month now. I had not been checking my levels since around almost two months ago since everything had been going great and I had been feeling great(except for being sick). Well lately I have been feeling like crap so I have started testing again. My fasting levels this morning were 115, pre-meal levels were in the 120's-130's. I am currently 2 hrs out from eating and my level is at 177, at one hour after eating I checked an it was at 168 so I guess I'm still climbing. I have been watching my diet and doing everything the doctor has said so I am trying to figure out why my levels are like this again.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I'm thinking of buying on of those home A1C tests since my doctor didn't do one with my initial blood work..would this be a good idea or not?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Bri, there are no "quick" answers

Yes, A1C is an absolute MUST.

What has your diet consisted of? Be mindful of how bad carbs are, especially man made carbs, they are horrible for ones BS levels.

have you been getting exersize?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! I try to stay away from sweets and carbs but i am still learning what I can't eat, such as half a mini blizzard with only bananas in it as a rare treat- gave me a blood glucose level of 247 2 hrs later. I do have an appointment with a dietician on Monday though so hopefully that will help me to learn these things.

As far as exercise, I do exercise but it has gotten harder now that I can't take my walks in below zero weather. I'm actually looking for new things to try at home though.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! I try to stay away from sweets and carbs but i am still learning what I can't eat, such as half a mini blizzard with only bananas in it as a rare treat- gave me a blood glucose level of 247 2 hrs later. I do have an appointment with a dietician on Monday though so hopefully that will help me to learn these things.

As far as exercise, I do exercise but it has gotten harder now that I can't take my walks in below zero weather. I'm actually looking for new things to try at home though.
Ice cream will surely raise your blood sugar. Ice cream with a banana in it will sky rocket it. Bananas are very high in carbs.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome back, Bri. It's hard to stay focused when we are feeling well, but the biggest thing to remember is that we're feeling well BECAUSE we're watching out for our blood sugar and eating the right foods. If you clocked 247 two hours after that half-mini-Blizzard with bananas, you prob'ly hit 400 in the first hour. Numbers like this indicate you've moved way past "pre-diabetic", and are doubtless a full-blown type 2.

A good friend of mine says it best: "You have a dangerous disease. The complications can be very devastating. Simply taking your meds to keep your sugars down is not good enough. A healthy diet and regular exercise are vital." And I'm going to add to this: Test, test, TEST! Keep your bg under 140 at all times if at all possible.

Begin right away to regain control by eliminating fast-acting carbs from your meals, and that means not just sugar and sweets (even the rare treat for now - sorry!), but bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, and just about anything made with grain (wheat, corn, oats, etc.). Eat all you want of protein & fats - these are a diabetic's best friends.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Bri, I am new to this forum and new to diabetes. I have found that frequent testing is what keeps me motivated as well as informed as to what's going on in my body. Also, knowing I will be testing destroys the impulse to "cheat." At the beginning, I disposed of all the problematic foods in my pantry, refrigerator, and freezer. I could still order a delivery pizza, but that money has to go for test strips. :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As everyone else has said, it is much more than sweets. It is any and all carbs that raise our BG. That is potatoes, breads, fruits, rice, sweets, etc. It is important to limit these foods in your diet. If you are committed you CAN get this disease under control. You need to control it and not let it control you! Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thank you everyone. A lot of this stuff I have been clueless too and it is great to know I have a place to come to when I have concerns. I will take all the advice given to me and I'm going to work hard to change my diet, it is just EXTREMELY hard first of all to change a big habit like this and then take into account that I live with 5 other people and I usually don't have control of what food gets bought. It also doesn't help that my husband is the only one in the house working right now because we can't afford day care and his job keeps laying him off which leads to unemployment screwing him over...things are VERY tight right now, especially with Christmas coming up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.