The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What?s So Funny About Diabetes?

By Kerri Morrone

When you think ?chronic disease,? you don?t exactly think slap-stick humor. More like ketone-stick horrors. There is nothing funny about kidney disease or diabetic retinopathy. Testing blood glucose levels, counting carbohydrates, and keeping track of medications ? all the daily tasks of diabetes care can become overwhelming, making it tough to find the humor in diabetes.

Which is exactly why we need to find the humor in diabetes.

This disease takes up so much of our time. There are very few moments in the day when I?m not at least considering my diabetes. And while I am not ruled by my condition, in order to survive and live a wonderful life, I need to focus on the details of diabetes to maintain good health. I need to maintain good mental health, too.

My grandmother used to tell me that laughter is food for the soul. My endocrinologist used to tell me that laughter is the way to achieve balance. Even Readers? Digest told me that ?Laughter was the Best Medicine.? This is true for people with diabetes, as well as people with other chronic illnesses.

I often find amusement in the places I find discarded test strips. Multiple daily finger sticks are a part of my daily duties, and the strips are expensive, so that?s not particularly funny. But finding a test strip in my shoe or seeing my little kitten trot by with one in mouth does make me smile. Priming my insulin pump is sometimes an arduous task, but my boyfriend walking by and saying I look like a mad scientist as I tap out the air bubbles from the cartridge makes me smile. It may not be funny to some, but it?s funny to me and it makes my diabetes burden far less heavy.

There are also phrases that other people aren?t able to toss around so lightly. The phrase, ?I feel so high,? has a definitive meaning to a person with diabetes, but may raise the eyebrows of those who aren?t ?in the know.? Or ?Excuse me, I have to go shoot up.? Out of the context of diabetes, those words aren?t normally thrown around at dinner parties.

There are also the moments that you laugh because, if you don?t, you may burst into tears. I have experienced severe low blood sugar reactions where I?ve come to my senses and noticed juice staining my shirt, my hair stuck to my forehead with sweat, and my meter in a thousand pieces on the floor after having thrown it at the wall. Moments like these are enough to break you in two. But sometimes a laugh bubbles up from deep inside you, where you are the most scared and the most vulnerable, and it escapes. It gives you strength. It helps chase the fear away for a few minutes.

There are certain benefits to laughter There are people who make it their mission to bring mirth to the masses. And there is that special, silly jargon that people create to show their diabetes who?s boss. When diabetes gets a little tough, it?s hard to find that silver lining.

Laughter has a way of illuminating it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I truly agree. I just told another Lad yesterday that I live off of laughter.

Kerri is a Beautiful Gal, through and through. I mistakenly(OOPPS)
wished her a Happy 30th Birthday a short while ago. She was quick
with the Thank you AND correcting me that she was only 29. :D AH!
What's an extra year? LOL

I was actually going to mention about what a difference humour
makes in the Life of a Person with a chronic disease. Then have
a sticky with some jokes, humourous incidents, etc., that anyone
could add to. I watch two comedies a day and Friends usually
send me a chuckle every few days.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terrie, I have always faced my trials and difficult times with a sense of humor. It is my way of relieving nervous tension and preventing stress. I don't think I have ever had highs from stress. I have, however. had lows from excitement. Lol!

Richard

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Terrie, I have always faced my trials and difficult times with a sense of humor. It is my way of relieving nervous tension and preventing stress. I don't think I have ever had highs from stress. I have, however. had lows from excitement. Lol!
Richard

Hey Richard: :)

Wow, Good for you. Yes, humour certainly does make problems seem
smaller or less of a hurdle.

I must say though when I was in my 20 something's to 30 something,
I was too overwhelmed with so much going on in Life and not enough
time to find much humour. It wasn't until my Kids turned about 10 and
14 that I found that they could look after quite a bit of their responsibilities,
that I felt more relaxed and saw much more humour back into Life.

Hey, you too? Why didn't you say so? My sugars drop like a rock when
I'm stressed. Little stress or big doesn't matter. I've been on the sites
since 2002 and everyone I heard from said their sugars went high. I
couldn't believe it. I ended up later finding 1 Guy(aside from my 2 Brothers)
on a site who experienced the same lows like me, he said. Then a few Ladies,
now I know of 12 oh plus you is 13. So we're not alone on this planet. :D
Richard, I'm not even gonna ask what you mean with that last sentence. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
663 Posts
*Sigh*

Yes to have a laugh is indeed a great stress buster and our disease that we have to manage it's a nice break from the normal test, Jab and then eat. ;)
Richard, As you well know that the benefits of managing this disease is much better these days. I had to laugh one day when I was so pissed off on the said control that I had to endure and sneaked out to buy fish & chips and that was back in the days when you would have to watch what you eat like honey was on the forbidden list and sweets of course and the test tube showed orange that night but it's the fact that I had a relief with the fish & chips and that made me happy. :D So today people still remember the 70's where we are not allowed such things. WOHA how things have changed. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts