The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wanting to do more of the LCHF way of eating.......and I was hoping someone could share the best ways to track all this stuff?
How do i know how much C/Pr/Fat is in all things i eat?

What is the most challenging part?

Seems the easiest part about eating LCHF is that you eat when your hungry...but what is the best way to ensure what i am eating meets the parameters? :confused:

·
Registered
970 Posts
nutritiondata.self.com works for me

Reactions: skb

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I use MyFitnessPal where I can plug in the percentages I want in their Daily Nutritional Goals screen - you have to override their recommendation to do it for you - just click to do it manually.

Enter the ratio of nutrients you choose, as well as the number of calories per day. I choose 75% fat, 15% protein and 10% carbs, incorporated in a 2000 calorie limit. Their software then converts it to 167g of fat, 75g of protein and 50g of carbs. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I have used MyFitnessPal for a couple of years. I have mine set at 80% fat/5% carbs/15% protein for 1650 calories. Carbs seldom vary but occasionally fat/protein may go up or down 5%each.

I use nutritiondata and fatsecret to look up nutritional info for new items. I have found that often the member info input into MFP is wrong.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
My fitness pal works fine as does the web app for Fitbit fitness tracking devices. I used the fitbit website when I had my tracker (which I subsequently lost) then I switched to My fitness pal. Both are centered on American food product nutritional information so I have to enter much of my food information manually using the labels on the foods themselves.
I also see that quite a lot of the nutrition counts on My fitness Pal and the Fitbit website (as well as other sites) are just plain wrong. It may take longer in the beginning but I would personally only ever count foods that I have manually entered in the nutrition info.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Pen and paper, weighing scales and a good carb counter book...

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Judy is absolutely right about having a scale! I bought an inexpensive one from Amazon.com, paid about $25 (EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale). It works like a charm and I still use it. I got frustrated by measurements like a "medium" apple or a "small" onion, how much is that?? So I weigh and look up/enter everything either in ounces or grams. Then I know what the nutritional data is exactly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive heard a few people say that recipes on some of these nutritional tracking sites are not accurate? is this a real problem?

I also went on nutritiondata.self.com.. and my fitness pal.com .and I had some trouble with navigation. Maybe its just because im not used to it yet?

Id love to hear what you guys like best about those sites..and what you like least. As well as any ideas you have for features that would make it better..I want to do a little more research to see what else is out there and then make a decision about which site I will use..and just stick with it. Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I like nutritiondata because it allows you to look up carbs per 100 gram serving, which is an automatic percentage.

This allows you to calculate carb grams for any sized serving directly.

Obviously, this works better if you have a scale.

·
Registered
53 Posts
MyFitnessPal

I have used MyFitnessPal for a couple of years. I have mine set at 80% fat/5% carbs/15% protein for 1650 calories. Carbs seldom vary but occasionally fat/protein may go up or down 5%each.

I use nutritiondata and fatsecret to look up nutritional info for new items. I have found that often the member info input into MFP is wrong.
How do you change the fat/carbs/protein on MyFitnessPal?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got the MyFitnessPal app but have not been using completely. I set the goals to be 5% carbs 15% protein 80% fat. But the daily score just reflects a single number. You have to look at each item to get the list breakdown. It would be better if it told you exactly what was left in your score but broken down into the three categories.
There's a premium version but it's quite expensive. Is the premium worth it? Does the premium provide a complete breakdown of your daily goals?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been using MyFitnessPal this week and find it very good in tracking my diet. I did find on the Bloodsugar 101 site a program that calculates what your targets should be. It has me starting at 5% carbs, 60% protein and 35% fat until I become ketosis. I'm in my second week of this diet so I need to redo this next week.
I do find it hard to eat enough protein to match this percentage. My daily percentages look more like 5/70/25. Will this delay my being able to go ketosis?

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
You won't get into ketosis at those ratios. I think you have proteins and fats exchanged. Too much carbs or too much proteins will not let you in or will kick you out. It will probably take 70% fats

Reactions: grammaB and Shanny
1 - 17 of 17 Posts