The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to this forum but not to diabetes forums or diabetes itself. As I read around I am learning a lot. I already eating very lo carb and have had pretty good success with that but have a desire to explore more about supplements and their effects on blood glucose management. When I started my journey 18 months ago or so I was severely insulin resistant and way overweight as I know many are upon diagnosis. I was put on Lantus to help and encouraged to eat differently. It's working - I've lost a lot but not enough. And I'm interested in controlling even more of my diabetes with natural supplements. I would be grateful for any input on what's worked for you. Knowing doses and brand names of the supplements would also be great.

Please forgive if this has been covered a lot. I did some searching and didn't see a whole thread on it.

Hope to learn a lot from this community,
--Pianoman

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to our support group, Pianoman. Several of us use supplements to gain extra advantage over our diabetes, and you'll prob'ly find some of that information in our signatures. I'm not sure there's any one thread devoted to this discussion - it just pops up during other conversations.

I personally use fish oil for my lipids & alpha lipoic acid to help regulate my BG.

Thank you for joining us - I hope you'll be visiting often! :welcome:

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to our support group, Pianoman. Several of us use supplements to gain extra advantage over our diabetes, and you'll prob'ly find some of that information in our signatures. I'm not sure there's any one thread devoted to this discussion - it just pops up during other conversations.

I personally use fish oil for my lipids & alpha lipoic acid to help regulate my BG.

Thank you for joining us - I hope you'll be visiting often! :welcome:
Hello and thanks for the welcome, Shanny. Yes, I've heard a lot about the Alpha Lipoic Acid. The 'r' kind is supposed to be different and better than the 's'? Fish oil always repeated on me so I tended to back away. And my lipid profile is pretty good.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Fish oil can be a mixed blessing fer shure fer shure. ;) One of our members uses a plant-based version to avoid the fishy backlash.

Yes, R-ALA is the better choice, and I now use the Insulow brand, which also includes biotin.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I use fish oil also. I started taking milk thistle awhile back for my elevated liver enzymes (which are normal now) and kept taking it because of the articles I have read about how benficial it is to diabetecs to help manage BG.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts