The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey my fellow diabetes, let's have a little fun with this question. As I'm sure you are aware, one of the ways that you and I can control our diabetes is with exercise. So, why not have the members share what they do in the arena of exercise, and of all the exercises that some of you do, which is your favorite exercise(s), and what exercise do you detest more than diabetes itself? :eek:

I'll start this ball rolling by telling you that no less than four days a week I take my recumbent bike out for a nice ride around my creative imagination! Most weeks see me peddling five for days.

Two days a week I add a regimen of stretching, balance and isometric exercises with the lifting of five pound weights making up the remainder of a fast paced 30 minute routine that includes 28 different sets! On the days, I do the weights, stretching and isometrics, I only peddle the bike for 30 minutes for about 6.5 miles.

On the days that I don't lift weights, etc., I ride the bike for 50 to 60 minutes, usually reaching ten to eleven miles.

My exercise is rounded out with my wife, and I walk our kids (dogs) at the park, usually for a mile each day. This, BTW, is my favorite exercise because it gives me time with my wife, and our two kids.

I don't have any exercise that I don't like, and I've been following this regimen since September 1991. I started out exercising following my low back surgery (1991) and continued to keep it going. Even when I'm out-of-town [business or fun] I go to the hotel gym, or a local gym and continue to keep the routine alive and moving forward.

Over the years, I've had to adapt and adjust my exercising to the pain I suffer from, so I've gone from swimming, to walking 4 miles a day [five days a week in less than an hour], to pool walking, to the recumbent bike. Life throws me stumbling blocks, but because I know I need to exercise to keep the diabetes at arm length. I find new, fun forms of exercising!

So, tell us about your exercise. Maybe someone else will discover something that moves them to get moving!

:couch2: :playball: :juggle: :boxing: :hungry: :fish2:

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

G

·
well I reckon I'm a walker... that's what I automatically do and I walk fast anywhere, anytime... I get pedestrian rage (can't stand people blocking my way with their strolls). I have to get back into regular exercise though. I'm not a swimmer, never have been.... although don't mind walking in the water.... see I do mean 'anywhere'. I tried running... can't do that anymore due to out of whack back. I did weights for a bit, didn't mind that. I'm not that flexible... could consider yoga or something.... or maybe zumba. lol. But I'd rather keep walking. I'd usually walk approx 7kms (4.3 miles) in an hour when exercising. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
I hate anything labeled exercise. The only kind I like is what I do without even thinking about it, such as gardening. Spring is finally springing in central New York State, with crocuses in bloom everywhere in my front yard and gardens. I just cleaned and filled all the bird baths there (five of them) and now I am enjoying the view.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have back problems so can't use my beloved treadmill anymore. A friend introduced me to her stationery recumbent bike and I liked it so much, I bought one! I have it in my family room (yeah, eyesore) and watch tv or read while pedaling away. It's easy (considering it's *still* exercise), comfortable, and really does help lower BG.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ditto!

I have back problems so can't use my beloved treadmill anymore. A friend introduced me to her stationery recumbent bike and I liked it so much, I bought one! I have it in my family room (yeah, eyesore) and watch tv or read while pedaling away. It's easy (considering it's *still* exercise), comfortable, and really does help lower BG.
For the same reasons you mentioned, I am no longer able to use a treadmill, and while water walking was easy on the back and legs, the cost to use a gym became more than I could afford. You know the rising cost with utility bills and gasoline in the car [to go to doctor appointments, and shop] took precedence over the yearly gym fees..

My wife and I love our recumbent bike, too!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have a treadmill, but use it only on days the weather is lousy. I love walking outdoors on roads with lots of hills, the steeper the better. My current favorite though, is working out at the local gym. I work with many machines with weights attached, to strengthen various muscles. I cannot do the "bench" press weight lifting, I am not strong enough. I started at the gym in Dec, 2010, but should have started many years ago. My upper body muscles are weak, but definitely getting stronger. 90 minutes per day, three days per week is seems just right. The gym charges only $19.95 per month. I have a trainer who gives me pointers, so I don't move ahead too fast and hurt myself. She is a little Texas gal from Austin.

G

·
I have a treadmill, but use it only on days the weather is lousy. I love walking outdoors on roads with lots of hells, the steeper the better. My current favorite though, is working out at the local gym. I work with many machimes with weights attached, to strengthen various muscles. I cannot do the "bench" press weight lifting, I am not strong enough. I started at the gym in Dec, 2010, but should have started many years ago. My upper body muscles are weak, but definitely getting stronger. 90 minutes per day, three days per week is seems just right. The gym charges only $19.95 per month. I have a trainer who gives me pointers, so I don't move ahead too fast and hurt myself. She is a little Texas gal from Austin.
Sorry Richard, I had a giggle at "I love walking outdoors on roads with lots of hells" (I'm thinking you don't like your neighbourhood perhaps?) But that's gotta be a typo I'd say. lol.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Yes ma'm, 'twas a typo. All fixed now.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Riding my spin bike is my favorite, simply because it's all I can do without hurting my back.

I'd like to swim but it's too freaking expensive where I live. $10 for a single drop in, $85 for a 10-drop-in pass, and nearly $500 for a yearly pass, none of which I can afford.

I hope I can ride outside when the weather breaks here, but I'm pretty sure the bumps in the road won't be easy on my spinal issues... we'll see what happens though once the snow is gone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts