The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello was wondering how long being a diabetic till complication start all information greatly received . i am on insulin 6 and metfotin as 6 weeks feeling a lot better

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
hello was wondering how long being a diabetic till complication start all information greatly received . i am on insulin 6 and metfotin as 6 weeks feeling a lot better

Depends... if your in cotrole... we have one member after 65 years has no Complications. :D

If your NOT in control 7 years (according to New England Journal of Medicine) :eek:

So TRY to stay in control:amen:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome back, Parky. You are the one in charge of what happens to you. If you get control and maintain low blood sugars, you could go your whole life without complications. If you ignore your diabetes, neglect to make the dietary changes and allow your levels to remain high, you can count on complications in a fairly short time. It could be your vision going blurry, or your feet getting numb, it could be your kidneys failing to function properly. There can be cardiac problems, and many other health issues. What it takes to avoid them is getting your sugars in control and KEEP them in control.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Complications

Parky: I had some minor complications after 5 years and my blood sugar readings were pretty good. I was only testing 3 times a week at the direction of my doctor and I was missing some of the higher readings. At year 9, I started having some more minor complications. The key in my opinion is to test every day and keep your blood sugar readings under control. I think every human being is different and it is really hard to nail down a particular year to say when you may have complications. There is much research that says that some complications can be reversed, but in my case, my complications have continued despite bringing my blood sugar back under control. I went several years without treating and testing and this could have very well been enough to keep the complications in place and ongoing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parky: I had some minor complications after 5 years and my blood sugar readings were pretty good. I was only testing 3 times a week at the direction of my doctor and I was missing some of the higher readings. At year 9, I started having some more minor complications. The key in my opinion is to test every day and keep your blood sugar readings under control. I think every human being is different and it is really hard to nail down a particular year to say when you may have complications. There is much research that says that some complications can be reversed, but in my case, my complications have continued despite bringing my blood sugar back under control. I went several years without treating and testing and this could have very well been enough to keep the complications in place and ongoing.
thank yuo all for the information and good advice will try my best

·
Registered
203 Posts
It Depends On YOU...

I have found that complications, for me, have come even though my numbers were once very tight and under control. Up until 5 years ago [10 years past my diagnosis] I had no problems, other than rapid progression neuropathy. Some of the neuropathy is caused from my low back injury in 1986, subsequent surgery [fusion of L-2 through S-1] and Spinal Stenosis.

Now, my numbers go just about everywhere, anytime they want... and I'm having lots of trouble with creatinine in the kidneys.

Last May, my BP went crazy, and I was admitted to ICU with a Hypertensive Crisis. Come to find out, it was a swollen prostrate that had totally blocked off the urinary tract, and caused a back up into the kidneys, and I went into acute renal failure.

However, through prayer, the renal failure reversed itself, the prostrate was reduced through Lazar surgery, and things are getting better with each passing day.

So, I don't know what to tell you, other than to keep those numbers as tight as you can, for as long as you can. And when complications set in, be thankful for the good times, and know that you have entered an era where you need to do things differently. Each complication is like starting over, and at times, that can be very depressing.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I think this is why testing at the 1 hour mark is important. There is evidence that having BGL spike after eating, even if the 2 hour BGL is OK, is leading to complications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts