The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first joined here, it was a great place, very helpful and friendly. Then the moderation became overbearing from some of the new moderators, and it was no longer fun to participate here.

Now it just seems to be filled with "one and done" posters, and a hell of a lot of posters from other countries, or someone trying to sell something.

I know this isn't the place to ask, but I would like to know if there are any boards that are available (private boards perhaps) where a diabetic can type at will without fear of reprocusion?

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yeah right, this place was great until we came here :D . The only person I ever put on "ignore" on this forum was you! The only other person nearly as obnoxious as you (besides me :p ) that I can think of is Gene.

ColaJim

When I first joined here, it was a great place, very helpful and friendly. Then the moderation became overbearing from some of the new moderators, and it was no longer fun to participate here.

Now it just seems to be filled with "one and done" posters, and a hell of a lot of posters from other countries, or someone trying to sell something.

I know this isn't the place to ask, but I would like to know if there are any boards that are available (private boards perhaps) where a diabetic can type at will without fear of reprocusion?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't see a problem with posters from other countries, what is wrong with that? Doesn't matter where you live, if you need help or advice and have diabetes, it makes sense to come here. What does WWW stand for anyway?

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
90 Posts

I haven't seen anything to indicate to me that the mods here are draconian... then again, I'm not trying to sell anything...

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I don't see a problem with posters from other countries, what is wrong with that?
Besides which, an 'other country' is one where one isn't - and since this forum is based in the UK I think, I hope being from an 'other country' I'm still welcome here.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The reason why I choose to come to this forum was because this forum was truly global and multicultural.... which I feel is a great thing. Sorry to see that some of us feel that this as a problem.

I had a lot to learn from the information on the forum and experience of the members so I'm not going away anywhere :D

The problem of some people trying to sell something on forums like these will be always there, and I am sure that the moderators will be taking action against such posts/members. Anyways I haven't been around long enough to comment more on this.

Reactions: Dura and foxl

·
Registered
554 Posts
I started here last year but left shortly after I started and I came back recently so I really can't comment on what has happened as I wasn't here to see it. But just want to say, some of the most outspoken or those who would tend to get in trouble from the moderators are also some of the most fun posts to read :D

Reactions: Bugg

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I belong to a lot of different forums. This one is actually better than most. I think each forum has to have their own rules to keep from posters trying to sell us stuff. On one forum I was on, I was actually chided because I post too much. Now, that was a first. Some of the forums I am on, the activity is so slow it takes weeks to get a response, sometimes. Quite frankly, I like the international flair.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am a moderator at another forum. Anyone comes around trying to sell something the links or the complete post is pulled. It got to a point where we just ban them as it was too much work. We figured it is in the rules and if they didn't read the rules tough. We also had a rule that after 30 or so posts if they had something to sell then they could get permission from the Administrator.

Erik I think as for the solicitors just ignore them.

·
Registered
916 Posts
as a newbie here on this forum,I can say the folks here are much nicer then on other forums.
I googled Diabetes forums a while ago & it took me a week or longer to weed them out .
Then I just lurked for a good while to get the feel of it & see the members posting's. I did join one & left asap.

I found this forum to be friendly as well as informative. I will stay till it isn't..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well maybe I missed something but I Still find this forum helpful and friendly. Love it!
They have diabetes in other countries?? Who would've thunk it.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Yeah right, this place was great until we came here :D . The only person I ever put on "ignore" on this forum was you! The only other person nearly as obnoxious as you (besides me :p ) that I can think of is Gene.

ColaJim
I just love the "self-awareness", Jim! Your posts are my favorite, even if they lose me a little sometimes.

Bumper sticker from the 70's:

"No matter how cynical I get, I just can't catch up to reality!"

No matter how much paranoia and conspiracy theorizing I engage in, it just can't reach the reality of the pharmaceutical/medical complex and what they're willing to do to us for a buck (or a few trillion of them, more accurately).

Reactions: ColaJim

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Bumper sticker from the 70's:

"No matter how cynical I get, I just can't catch up to reality!"

No matter how much paranoia and conspiracy theorizing I engage in, it just can't reach the reality of the pharmaceutical/medical complex and what they're willing to do to us for a buck (or a few trillion of them, more accurately).
I believe Big Agro (think wheat and corn, especially) and Big Junk Food also play huge roles. Indeed, the ADA receives much funding from these sources. Just think what would happen to all of those industries if millions of people turned their backs on baked goods and starches. Or cut down sharply, even.

Which does not necessarily mean that an army of mustache-twirling villains cackles over our plight. But I suspect it leads to a certain level of semi-willful blindness, vigorously reinforced by groupthink. At the very least. (OK, I also believe some of them know exactly what they're doing.)

As for this Forum, I appreciate any opportunity for a glimpse outside my American/Western box.

For one, it seems that Type 2 diabetes, in particular, may work differently in diabetics who were not raised on the Standard American/Western Diet (whether they grew up in the West or not).

I've seen posters who were mystified that many of us avoid whole grains and fruits. They can eat them, and maintain good numbers. I, for one, simply cannot -- and not for lack of trying. "Everybody is different" is, perhaps, a cliche. But it's also solid truth.

But that begs the question -- why the differences? Sounds like a great direction for some honest, in-depth research.

Reactions: Bugg

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I just recently joined so I can't comment on how things used to be. I came over from another forum because I was unhappy with interesting discussions being deleted and people being banned for being passionate.

... not sure where I'm going with this other than I enjoy the controversial threads and hope to see more! :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
I like the global participation.. I mean diabetes is not a one nation disease.. I think it's helpful to get different perspectives..

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Not to mention, RECIPES! ;-)

Seriously, though, after the Great Forum Schism, I have ended up on THREE forums, because I did not want to miss anyone. Each has its own followers, its own culture. I like this one because it is kind, slow, and less argumentative. I admit to liking some of the argument, though. Anyhow this mellower smaller environment is friendlier to a lot of people who might otherwise be too intimidated to post, and I love that! It is an important place, for that very reason!

I know I feel safest posting here, if I have strong feelings or have a problem I might feel embarrassed posting, elsewhere ...

·
Registered
344 Posts
One other comment! Being a moderator takes a lot of time. On the other forum where I am a moderator it is tough to catch all of the junk sometimes and stuff gets by.

Also everything posted here may or may not be of sound advice. Your circumstances may be different. It is up to you to search for the right advice.

Last but not least this forum is free. What makes it so good is the participation that each give.

·
Registered
461 Posts
This forum saved my life. I had just about given up until I luck up and found it. I don't post as much as I did but I still read it most everyday. BTW..I just about got kicked out on my 4 or 5 post...lol... Thank goodness I'm still here...

bugg:)still scared to tell a joke...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
On rare occasions it seems that someone joins the forum for the sole purpose of insulting and arguing with others, even though those very people are trying their best to help that person out. Some might find those threads entertaining, but those who are on the receiving end of the insults don't find humor in it. It is the banning of those people that has kept this a helpful and friendly place. I'm with Bugg, this forum definitely saved Mr. Gizmo's and my life. I have no complaints.

http://www.theforumsite.com/forum/topic/The-Rude-Forum/145746

1 - 19 of 19 Posts