The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, not new to diabetes but new to insulin (about a year now). This is a 2 part question.

1) During my "time of month" my sugars go absolutely crazy ranging from very low to very high. Do any of the other ladies have this problem?

2) Last night my levels were extremely low for several hours (30's 40's and 50's range) nothing was bringing it up for a while. In that situation when should you go to the ER if at all?

Thanks everyone
Amy

·
Registered
213 Posts
Amy, those scores are extremely low and if accurate, dangerous. I'd go SOMEWHERE and get checked, as well as check the accuracy of your meter readings.

G

·
hi Amy - I'm new to insulin too...was put on it a year ago.
I'm having ups & downs with my BGLs because of undiagnosed GI problem. In answer to you questions: 1) yes they do... diabetes affects your hormone balance in general... so many things controlled by hormones. 2) too low and get yourself to ER. Can you think of any reason why you're so low? Eg. do you not eat enough for insulin intake? BGLs go crazy when we're sick too... well they certainly do with me. I notice that I get unpredictable levels when I'm in pain or too tired... generally unwell. It's probably a good idea for you to speak to your endo about what's happening as soon as possible so they can assess your situation. Welcome to the forum too btw :) keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
710 Posts
2) Last night my levels were extremely low for several hours (30's 40's and 50's range) nothing was bringing it up for a while. In that situation when should you go to the ER if at all?

Thanks everyone
Amy
Hi Amy. Lows are never fun, are they. Let us know what your insulin regimen is. It sounds like you might have done a little too much basal. What did you do to try to bring your blood sugar up?

I'd not go to the ER for those numbers, but that's just me.

Let me also recommend that you get either Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner or Using Insulin by John Walsh. These books really demystify the whole insulin thing.

Best,
Jen

·
Registered
253 Posts
Last night my levels were extremely low for several hours (30's 40's and 50's range) nothing was bringing it up for a while. In that situation when should you go to the ER if at all?
I find that hard to understand. Do you mean eating fast carbs wouldn't bring them back up? If you do, then yes, there must be something drastically wrong.

The only thing health workers ever have done for me when mine were low was give me a (super expensive) tube of glucose. If mine ever are low, I know how much to eat to bring it up 10 points, so it's easy to figure out just how much I need. So basically going to emergency is just going to pay a huge amount for something to eat.

I've had a lot of experience with super low bgs, including in the low 20s, and I don't see it as an emergency at all. I just eat something. Fortunately that was all in the past in my early days on insulin. Nothing like that has happened in years.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I go to the Endo in a couple of weeks. It will be my first time seeing one.
I was drinking juice trying to get it up that night but it didn't want to budge for several hours and that's what scared me.

As for the "ladies issue". I've gotten mixed replies from the Dr.'s when I asked that question. Some say it definately can affect your levels and others say they've never heard that before. For me, it's a problem and since it's a time in life that I can't predict those times anymore it's hard to plan for it.

I was also diagnosed with Gastroparesis (sp?) recently. It flaired up on me badly in December and I finally got help for the symptoms. It had gotten so bad that Maloxx was my beverage of choice with my meals just to be able to get any food down. I suspect that's playing a part in my crazy numbers. My numbers were really good for months and besides the occasional crashes at night I was holding them. Then suddenly they starting going high. I know it was the holiday season when everyone is eating more of what we shouldn't but I was hardly eating at all because of my stomach problems.
Crazy.
What I have learned is there is nothing set in stone for me. I have to adjust accordingly when taking my insulin, try to plan ahead as best I can. That's hard because a lot of the time I'll start to eat then just can't put another bite in my mouth. I still have stomach issues, though not that sickening painful indesgestion type stuff thank God, but it's still hard for me to eat.
I've started swelling lately too mostly in feet and ankles but it moves through the upper body as well.

And am I'm so cold most of the time, what's that all about????
I'm the one sitting around with a blanket over me all the time. My friends laugh they think I'm .....quirky. I'm frickin' feezing!

G

·
glad to hear you're getting on top of things Amy :D Are you on meds for your gastroparesis? If so, do you find they work well?
I've got a GI problem too (still undiagnosed at this point) and I have fluctuating BGLs also that aren't easy to explain. I have to report to my doc every week as he reckons I'm not very well. I just saw my doc after work today and he is still unhappy with me and says I have severe dysmotility symptoms. I got a lecture about not taking on more things to increase stress levels... and he isn't happy that I'm still not sleeping properly. He's thinking I either have gastroparesis, or dysmotility syndrome which he says is rare and sort of the same as IBS but it's the best term used if all of GI tract not moving properly. My upper GI is worse than lower. I'm burping day and night... it's rather embarrassing. But I've been burping for over a year now, I only had bad heartburn/reflux for 3 years prior to that. I'm currently on 3 types of meds for my stomach. I see my gastroenterologist next week, so hopefully I'll get an answer soon and I can get a resolution to symptoms.... the flow on effect should be better controlled BGLs for me. All the stuff we have to put up with hey! Keeping my happy hat on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I'm on meds for the gastro thing and they do help though I can feel my stomach is still slow to empty, I don't have much of an appetite and feel bloated most all the time but like I said at least that sickening indigestion is gone.
Can I borrow your happy hat for just a day or 2??

glad to hear you're getting on top of things Amy :D Are you on meds for your gastroparesis? If so, do you find they work well?
I've got a GI problem too (still undiagnosed at this point) and I have fluctuating BGLs also that aren't easy to explain. I have to report to my doc every week as he reckons I'm not very well. I just saw my doc after work today and he is still unhappy with me and says I have severe dysmotility symptoms. I got a lecture about not taking on more things to increase stress levels... and he isn't happy that I'm still not sleeping properly. He's thinking I either have gastroparesis, or dysmotility syndrome which he says is rare and sort of the same as IBS but it's the best term used if all of GI tract not moving properly. My upper GI is worse than lower. I'm burping day and night... it's rather embarrassing. But I've been burping for over a year now, I only had bad heartburn/reflux for 3 years prior to that. I'm currently on 3 types of meds for my stomach. I see my gastroenterologist next week, so hopefully I'll get an answer soon and I can get a resolution to symptoms.... the flow on effect should be better controlled BGLs for me. All the stuff we have to put up with hey! Keeping my happy hat on.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Happy hats?! :yo: We have hats . . . party hats :party: tinfoil hats :tinfoil3: a nice befeathered fedora :hat: and even a tiara :drama:! Come take your choice, Amy!
:D :D :D

And hang in there, gal . . . you hit the nail on the head that nothing is set in stone - every time we think we have a handle on this blankety-blank disorder, it makes a U-turn & we're barreling into another unexpected curve. :(

G

·
have to keep my happy hat on or else would be just plain miserable. We refer the De Bono Hats a lot at work.... that's where you can juggle hats basically. But I'm determined to stay positive here despite this stupid health predicament I'm in. I never have liked having diabetes... but I live with it... still not liking it. lol. But I think added stuff just gives you more things to juggle and it makes diabetes control harder. Well I'd get myself off to work here.
Enjoy your day :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
And am I'm so cold most of the time, what's that all about????
I'm the one sitting around with a blanket over me all the time. My friends laugh they think I'm .....quirky. I'm frickin' feezing!
Hypothyroid. Happened to me too also for about 2 years before I read a book about it and it seemed like that was what I had. Went to the doc and told him. To make a tedious story short, sure enough, that's what it was.

I think it's over 90% of the time that when someone is cold at normal temperatures, they are hypothyroid. I didn't have swelling, but that's listed as one of the many possible things that can happen with it.

As far as health problems go, this is an easy one. The medication for it was first developed by the Brits in the 1890s. It is one of the cheapest and safest there is. And it makes a serious difference in the way you feel.

Of course I'm not qualified to diagnose but do mention that to the doc. It is a simple test to find out. I was within the normal range but at the bottom of it. The doc said it wouldn't hurt to try out the medication. (I was being just a bit pushy.) He said it would take a month to notice a difference. I had one small but dramatic improvement in 24 hours, more after.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They checked my thyroid several months ago at the clinic I go to and said it was ok. I don't know if it was on the high end, low end or in the middle, I'll ask next time I go. Perhaps the Endo can see more. The clinic is kind of basic in what they do.

Thanks for the hats Shanny! I needed that! :cheer2:

Hypothyroid. Happened to me too also for about 2 years before I read a book about it and it seemed like that was what I had. Went to the doc and told him. To make a tedious story short, sure enough, that's what it was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts