The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
do u test after first bite or 2 hours after meal finishs no mater how long meal takes
I start counting from the time the meal ends. Not sure what the "correct" answer is though.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Parky, I test and then take my bolus insulin just before eating. I count the carbs I am going to eat so I will know how much insulin to use. I test again two hours after eating.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
do u test after first bite or 2 hours after meal finishs no mater how long meal takes

Hi parky! It is good to see you post again! A certified diabetes educator told me that the clock starts ticking with your first bite of food. So, if you start to eat at 5PM then you would want to test at 7PM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am confused about the 1 hr and 2 hr testing. I was told to test at 2 hrs but my numbers are usually higher at 1 hr - so I test at both with new foods. I was told that the 1 hr doesn't count. However, if it is high at either I'm inclined to avoid the food in the future. Does this make sense? It gets confusing as I hear different things from people I know. This is my second ever post - so I apologize if I'm not clear or if I'm in the wrong spot for this question. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Nothing to be confused about, The medical community has had the 2 hour standard for a long time.
However, there is growing agreement among Md's that ANY time your BGL is over 140 you are doing damage to your body.

I test at 1 hour, that is usually the highest reading.
So test when you want.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You're posting is fine, kenoxla . . . and your questions are valid. When to test depends on what information you're looking for. The 1-hour test lets us know about how high we spike from certain foods, and that's good to know, as you say, it tells us which foods to avoid. The 2-hour test hopefully tells us that we're dropping back down to pre-meal levels, and if we aren't, then it's another food to limit or avoid.

I don't test much at 2 hours anymore, when I'm eating foods I already know I can tolerate. It's only when I introduce something new or something I've prepared in a different way.

Hope this helps, and hope you'll be visiting often to keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi kenoxla - I have found the 1 hour test invaluable! It does count - if you are having excessive spiking at 1 hour, you know you need to reduce the quantity of the carb you just ate, or eliminate it. The two hour test informs you how close to baseline you are.

As an insulin user, the 1 hour test lets me know how successful I've been with my bolus. If BG is higher than expected at that point, I can calculate insulin on board and determine if it's sufficient to handle the carbs - if not, a little extra bolus is in order.

Jen

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're posting is fine, kenoxla . . . and your questions are valid. When to test depends on what information you're looking for. The 1-hour test lets us know about how high we spike from certain foods, and that's good to know, as you say, it tells us which foods to avoid. The 2-hour test hopefully tells us that we're dropping back down to pre-meal levels, and if we aren't, then it's another food to limit or avoid.

I don't test much at 2 hours anymore, when I'm eating foods I already know I can tolerate. It's only when I introduce something new or something I've prepared in a different way.

Hope this helps, and hope you'll be visiting often to keep us posted on how you're doing.

diabetes 86 and Shanny, Thank you so much for your responses. I have been so concerned about what the highs are and had not given much thought about the length of time to get back down! Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
test fasting, 60' after start & 2 hours

test fasting bg right when you get up, keep log. this is how your liver is doing -- putting out too much sugar?

test @ 60' post start of meal, then at 120' post. should be <140 @ 60', then <110 @ 120'.

Adjust carbs lower, increase post meal muscle contraction to meet goals.:eek:

·
Registered
158 Posts
before i started using the pump i tested 6 times a day.Now I test 10 times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts