The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this so I was wondering when I should test after meals. My doc said to test twice a day but I have enough strips to test after each meal. So do I test at one hour or two hours after my meals? Also, can anyone give me some meal ideas for a quick breakfast? I do not care for eggs so I feel I am at a loss as to what I can eat for breakfast. I was eating cheerios but that was before I found out about the diabetes. That shoots me up over 200 if I eat that. Also lunch ideas that are quick. I have to plan out my grocery trip and I have no clue as what to get for breakfast and lunch. I can figure out dinner since I can eat around what I fix for my family. I was eating cheerios but that was before I found out about the diabetes. Thanks for any advice you can give!!!!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
In the beginning, I tested at both 1 hour after and 2 hours after each meal. I also tested upon waking up (fasting BG) and just before bed. Keep in mind that the reason to test so often is to see what the foods that make up each meal you eat do to affect your BG levels.

My breakfast typically consists of a handful of almonds (10), 5 strawberries, 3 slices of chorizo and 5 slices of cucumber along with a cuppa coffee and a tall glass of cold water. That usually takes a couple of minutes to put together and can be varied according to personal preference. Lunches tend to be leftovers from the previous dinner or a salad. There is a recipe section on this site and there are tons of low carb blogs on the net that can be used to give you menu ideas.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My breakfast typically consists of a handful of almonds (10), 5 strawberries, 3 slices of chorizo and 5 slices of cucumber along with a cuppa coffee and a tall glass of cold water.
Okay, this is one of the most interesting and precise breakfast routines ever.

You're the bomb!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Ya, I'm just weird that way. :) I just like that it's low carb, has a lot of variety and is fairly cheap to maintain plus that I can vary it easily. All in all, the carb total comes out between 7 to 10g.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The time for after meal testing depends on what information you want. If you want to know how high the meal spiked you - test at 45 minutes to one hour. If you want to know if you are getting back close to your pre-meal level - test at two hours. Since I am trying to avoid the spike I test at the earlier time.

I'm not a morning person.. I wake up about 10 minutes before I have to leave for work so my breakfast and lunch need to be something I can just grab on my way out the door. I've been eating either low carb yoghurt or a few Almondoodles (almond flour cookies - the recipe is here somewhere) for breakfast or sometimes crustless, sugar-free pumpkin pie. Lunch is usually a Johnsonville Smoked Braut (wrapped in paper towels and microwaved for 30 seconds), a couple ounces of cheese, and some raw veggies. Snacks are almonds and suger-free jello.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the info. I am kind of nervous about changing my eating habits. Will I be hungry cutting out carbs? I am scared I will be starving all the time. I know it is something I am going to have to get use to. I was just told earlier this week about being diabetic so this week I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and still trying to learn. :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thank you all for the info. I am kind of nervous about changing my eating habits. Will I be hungry cutting out carbs? I am scared I will be starving all the time. I know it is something I am going to have to get use to. I was just told earlier this week about being diabetic so this week I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and still trying to learn. :)
Don't worry about being hungry. One of the great things about eating low-carb is that when you substitute healthy fats and protein for your previous carbohydrate, you actually feel MORE FULL.

Protein and fat (especially fat) are the key components that actually help you feel satiated / full when you eat.

Carbohydrate on the other hand, because it becomes glucose and stimulates insulin production (if you have it) actually CAUSES hunger, especially if you're insulin-resistant like I am ... because you end up with too much insulin in your system, and your body reacts to that by giving you cravings, usually for carbs, to try to offset that.

low-carb is great. I wish I adopted it years ago...

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
It's the exact opposite - when you cut out carbs your appetite plummets.

Because I've been losing weight on low-carb, two of my non-diabetic friends decided to cut back drastically on carbs. One is overweight and needs to lose, the other is a trim athletic type but thinks she needs to lose 10 lbs. Both have commented on the reduction in appetite/hunger.

I love carbs, honestly I do. But I am so grateful not to have to live in that place of cravings and inappropriate hunger - it makes getting diabetes worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts