The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every case is different so I'd like to hear from a variety of people.

We all know how cautious and conscious we have to be in approaching food. But we know that every so often we have to cut loose from restrictions and treat ourselves. It's good for us emotionally, and allows us to not eliminate yummier foods permanently while staying in control.

By treat, I don't mean a conscious effort to substitute a lower-carb/GI/fat version of something, or an artificially sweetened food that may not affect BS. I mean something that you know will make your levels spike very quickly beyond safe levels (and often drop as quickly) and contain ingredients not recommended or avoided completely in your diet. Often these are white foods, regular soft drinks, sugared foods, etc., foods that are otherwise "indulgences" for a diabetic. Or even greater portions of "safe" foods that stack up to unsafe levels faster than normal.

What do you like, and how big do you allow portions? Is it a dessert serving, a snack, a drink, an entire meal?

I'd also like to know how often you treat yourself. Once a week? A month? Every day?

Do you have a set time of day when you treat? Is it dinner's dessert only, etc.?

Naturally these answers are based on personal choices but also on individual lifestyle like your personal glucose flux, whether you exercise, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On days I feel like treating myself. I usually go for ice cream. Yum. I love coldstone bananna Carmel crunch. I use to just eat it when I wanted it, but of course later I would be so sick. Now I test my bg right before. If it's below 90 (which is like never for me) I go for it. If it's around 110 (again a lil rare) I take a small serving the tons of water. Anything above that, which is pretty much always right now I skip it all together (or of course go the sugar free route)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Most of my "treats" are the substitute kind like s/f popcicles or my addiction - Breyers low-carb fudge bars. Because my REAL idea of a treat is more along the lines of unlimited bacon in my BLT sandwich (which is a wrap these days anyhow, because I use my low carb Olé tortillas), you can see where I might have less of a problem that some people. :D

So I don't schedule any treats, because I don't subscribe to "rewarding" myself this way; my reward is the long life I expect to lead by eating the things that don't elevate my blood sugar.

But since you asked, and since this very day, I extended the parameters just slightly, I'll confess: We were in town today and we ate supper at Sirloin Stockade. Their food bar is big enough I can find plenty of low-carb choices and they have "all-you-can-eat steak" on weekends. They also offer baked sweet potatoes as well as regular baked potatoes, and that's a great choice!

But today after having a killer tossed salad with their killer bleu cheese dressing, a baked sweet potato & a coupla nice rare-to-med. rare pieces of sirloin steak, I ate my s/f chocolate pudding, s/f jello, and s/f orange mousse without batting an eye. However . . . .!!!

Then DH showed up with a brownie sundae of his own making!!! Huge thing, that sundae (I found out later there were three brownies under all that ice cream!)! I sat there like a lump on a stump for about 30 seconds before I decided, okay - today's the day! :D

I found the smallest brownie on the pan - about four bites worth - and dispensed about two tablespoons of soft-serve ice cream on it, and enjoyed myself thoroughly! heheh! Two hours later I tested 134, so I think I dodged a bullet!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I really should add that sad experience has taught me that it better be a totally awesome glorious "cheat" to be worth screwing up my BG for several days, because that's what happens if I do go off the wagon. At my age, I just don't have time to monkey around for a week trying to yank my levels back into alignment after rewarding myself for a whole meal or a whole day with "forbidden" foods.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I try and eat some regular food everyday. But I only eat one portion. I have alot of sugar free food, but there is usually some kind of hidden source of carbs mixed in, so I have to be careful in that area. I don't plan sugar rewards and don't eat pasta on a regular basis since it has a poor track record with blood glucose. When eating out, which is not often, I will get a small order of french fries. Yesterday, I rewarded myself to an 8" pepperoni pizza from my favorite local pizza joint. I had a really difficult week and had to restrict my diet for lab tests and a medical procedure and I felt that I had cut out enough calories and carbs to enjoy the pizza. I do remember looking at the empty pizza box and noticed the grease stains from the cheese and pepperoni and I just reminded myself that the pizza treat is a limited time offer!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If and when I "treat myself" depends on how my blood sugar is that day. If I am low, like 90 or below sometimes I will have ice cream. I buy it in those little half cup servings of Blue bell ice cream and savor every single bite of it! Mostly though, my treats are low carb fudge bars and S/F jello. I actually prefer it to the sugared ones. Although, night before last we went to dinner at one of my favorite places. it is right on the river and the view is awesome! I had a pretty good dinner of grilled chicken with fresh pico de gallo and sour cream, green beans, and I ate about 1/2 cup of the mashed potatoes that came with it. I also had a salad to start off. After dinner my hubby ordered the most fabulous looking cheesecake. I couldnt resist taking a bite...or two...well actually three :p I figured it would be ok since I also had a pretty large glass of wine, and alcohol almost always lowers my blood sugar. By the time we got home I was only at 95. So it was a good time to sneak a treat!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I wish I'd weathered my "treat" as well as you did, Pam . . . and what are we going to do with these husbands of ours with their cheesecake & brownie sundaes?!! lol! :D :D :D

Oh btw, I think the Blue Bell treats are Texas "homegrown", right? I was introduced when my sis lived in Houston years ago. Best ice cream in the world!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I wish I'd weathered my "treat" as well as you did, Pam . . . and what are we going to do with these husbands of ours with their cheesecake & brownie sundaes?!! lol! :D :D :D

Oh btw, I think the Blue Bell treats are Texas "homegrown", right? I was introduced when my sis lived in Houston years ago. Best ice cream in the world!
Yes I think its a Texas thing...but I just assumed they sell it outside of Texas. If not, y'all are missing out. Its the best tasting ice cream ever made! They sell it in little snack cups of 1/2 cup....15 grams of carbs each. Perfect amount for snack and I don't eat too much of it that way :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On days I feel like treating myself. I usually go for ice cream. Yum. I love coldstone bananna Carmel crunch. I use to just eat it when I wanted it, but of course later I would be so sick. Now I test my bg right before. If it's below 90 (which is like never for me) I go for it. If it's around 110 (again a lil rare) I take a small serving the tons of water. Anything above that, which is pretty much always right now I skip it all together (or of course go the sugar free route)
I'm in biiiig trouble then, the Tim Horton's near me just opened a Coldstone inside it! I've been soooo tempted to try some but they have no sugar-free varieties, whereas Baskin Robbins always has at least one sugar-free flavour that I treat myself to from that. I might do the high water route for a small scoop of something I saw called Birthday Cake Remix that looks and sounds so wrong and yet so good.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

So it seems that most of you treat depending on individual daily levels and don't schedule a treat day to work your levels safely down in anticipation of it. I've been doing the latter, mostly because I'm relatively new to the lifestyle and I'd rather gauge a window of guaranteed unsafeness while discovering a variety of healthy safer foods.

Since discovering my unsafe spiker foods, my treats haven't extended to more than a chocolate chunk cookie or a few extra tostadas. More often I've found that eating a treat in the middle of the day, like a cookie for dessert with lunch, is easier to manage since I work out in the afternoon/evening and my BG has shown to drop faster with exercise because I drink tons of water with it.

My endo only told me to measure twice a day, before breakfast and 2 hrs after dinner, so most of my leeway with food is putting lots of food into breakfast and lunch for a high-energy/calorie day and lower-energy evening. I had a drastic overnight spike once with a small scoop of sugar-free ice cream eaten after dinner and about 2 hours before bed.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i would have to say putin fries is my chose of treat. i liked ice cream by the bowl full at one time. in the last year i have had a spoonful

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would have to say putin fries is my chose of treat. i liked ice cream by the bowl full at one time. in the last year i have had a spoonful
Oh dude I used to live in Ottawa, I know how it is. Poutine was every second step. It's so bad, like taking the worst of three food groups and putting them together, yet the most delicious mess in the free world.

Have you noticed that most of the uniquely Canadian foods are a diabetic's nightmare? Poutine, nanaimo bars, butter tarts, oreilles de crisse...yet sooooo GOOD.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Oh dude I used to live in Ottawa, I know how it is. Poutine was every second step. It's so bad, like taking the worst of three food groups and putting them together, yet the most delicious mess in the free world.

Have you noticed that most of the uniquely Canadian foods are a diabetic's nightmare? Poutine, nanaimo bars, butter tarts, oreilles de crisse...yet sooooo GOOD.
OK, help me out. What is poutine?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, help me out. What is poutine?
It's a French term that roughly translates to "Food of the gods". And by "food of the gods" I mean "delicious heart attack in a box." And by delicious heart attack in a box I mean a river of gravy and half-melted cheese curds generously slathered on french fries.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's a French term that roughly translates to "Food of the gods". And by "food of the gods" I mean "delicious heart attack in a box." And by delicious heart attack in a box I mean a river of gravy and half-melted cheese curds generously slathered on french fries.
Well, you've made a believer outta me! Geez, Alex, send some over here . . . I'm ready!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i am not sure if it is right when people are talking to just jump in.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i am not sure if it is right when people are talking to just jump in.
Sure it is :) Its a public forum...thats what the whole purpose is, feel free to participate in any conversation! If it was a private conversation, it would be done privately :)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
thank you for the info.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
James? Since you brought it up, would you PLEASE send over a bowl of those putine fries?!! I'm dyin' over here! :D :D :D

I've only had cheese curds one time, and I was hooked . . . now you guys tell me they're served with fries & gravy! Let's eat awreddy!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have a Canadian friend that told me about them once. I have been greatful every since then that you cant find them here. I am sure I would be in a coma by now ;)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i guest putine is something one should eat. there is the beaver tails are just as bad.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts