The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
doctor.jpg

Do you ever doubt that your doctor knows what is best for your personal health or do you believe that as an 'expert' the doctor always knows best?

How do you handle it when you disagree with your doctor? Do you ever lie to your doctor to avoid drama? Why? Why not?

·
Registered
188 Posts
View attachment 11905

Do you ever doubt that your doctor knows what is best for your personal health or do you believe that as an 'expert' the doctor always knows best?

How do you handle it when you disagree with your doctor? Do you ever lie to your doctor to avoid drama? Why? Why not?
Cricket, I'm laughing about avoiding drama with the doctor. I've done it. I find that many endocrinologists don't want their patients to control the diabetes so tightly that it results in too many lows. That's been my doc's main complaint to me when he looks at my read-out. My last A1C was 5.5, and he said that was too low and wanted me to get it up into the 6s. I just smiled and said, 'ok sure.' I read once that doctors want the numbers to be a little higher because they don't want to be liable for patients winding up in the hospital or dead. I don't know. I do what I know is good for me.

·
Registered
632 Posts
View attachment 11905

I just started with a new young doctor - I used to argue with my previous doctor and I feel that really strained the relationship. So this time I won't argue with the doctor but I may not do what he asks either - My doctor has not been living with Type 1 diabetes for over 52 years - I have

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
I do not feel I can be too contentious with my primary care provider.

I know my PCP is being held to a number of job-performance metrics that have little to do with patient-centered care and much to do with making money for the clinic and medical insurers. So I'm mindful of that when she tells me the clinic's protocol for diabetics over the age of mumble-teen is to have them start taking statins. I view that the same way I do the upsell at a store ("Do you want the maintenance agreement on that?"). I thank her for her concern and then I do what I believe is best for me.

I need my PCP. She writes my prescriptions (for non-diabetic issues) and fends off management ("Why isn't he on statins?"). She referred me for my pattern test and, as far as I can tell, wrote the referral so that it was covered by my health insurance (I never got a bill for it but the entire experience was a fiasco for other reasons). She lets me go a year between A1cs because I'm a "trusty" even though she could schedule me every 3-6 months to get some revenue.

So I've never lied to her. I respect her for what she does and for her willingness to let me be my own advocate and I believe she respects me for showing that I understand the biology and all behind what I'm experiencing medically and how I've managed my own health. No sense ruining that, IMHO.

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a love/hate relationship with my doctor.

I admit to allowing him to believe I am eating more carbs than I am, simply because I don't want to hear it again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe its my age. I have always looked to any medical practitioner as someone who gives me advice and information. I choose my treatment.

I do not ignore my doctors advice nor take it lightly, but I insist on knowing the options and the risks and making the final choice.

Because of that when I need to change doctors I often see quite a few before I find one who is prepared to be honest and straight forward and accept that i will make decisions, not take orders.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I avoided arguing with my doctor. He says that I only need to measure fasting glucose (because I have type 2, not 1). But, I think it helps me stay on my diet if I measure a few times randomly.

I can't make it 2 hours without a small snack so I can see that it doesn't really matter but I ate less when I was more diligent about measuring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In Australia our Government has decided that Type 2 Diabetics should not monitor unless they get a signed form from the doctor. Even then it lasts for 6 months and then expires. This means you get test strips for $15 a box of 100 instead of $50 a box.

They are of course right. There is no medical reason for all this measurement as it does not change medical treatment, HBa1C is used for that. They are also wrong as all the studies show far higher success rates for treatment with those Type 2 who actively monitor their BGL and are actively engaged in managing their health.

My experience has been knowing how I respond to exercise and foods has been important in managing my own health. Sometimes engaging a patient in the treatment of a medical condition can ,make that treatment very much more effective.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
I don't see my doctor much anymore, usually one of his three PAs. We usually differ in opinion and I do state my opinion when they offer me the standard teleprompter advice and recommendations. Tomorrows visit may provide me an opportunity to post in this thread again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts