The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we had a massive amount of ants that were all over the kitchen sink area. I don't ever remember having trouble in my kitchen with ants. It is spring and the bugs are here as well. Does any one have anything that they do to get rid of these pests? :spider:

G

·
hi Breeze... I had that problem in my kitchen once. I found they were coming through the window. I basically used outdoor surface spray on them and then just killed them all inside by using hot water. We get a lot of bugs and such in Aust too... I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Lots of time this time of year with all the rain, they come from outside. We used to get lots of ants. We now have quarterly service where they spray on all the perimeters and base boards. For the immediate time get some of those ant traps and place them in the places you think they are coming in from. Ants burrow way down below ground and the first warm days of spring they come hunting for food.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
They are hatching!

My mom used to go over the edge trying to eradicate them, each year.

I tried and tried to convince her, they were not fire ants, they did not bite, they hatched ran around for 3 weeks, and then LEFT. She would spray terrible stuff -- and pay "professionals" to squirt more around -- and sure enough 3 weeks later, they'd be gone. We had cats ... very worrisome!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I get them in the bathroom and found the quickest, surest way to get rid of them is the traps. I use the Terro ones Amazon.com: Terro 300 Pre-Filled Liquid Ant Killer II Baits, 6-Pack: Patio, Lawn & Garden and have found them the most effective. They're at all hardware stores.

Put them in line with where they're coming in and at a place or two along their path. At first there will be a huge increase in ants, maybe for a day or two. Resist the urge to kill them. What you want is them taking the poison back to the queen. It works every time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here's a second vote for Terro. Our previous house had continuing problems with the tiny ants that stink when you squish them. Exterminators came out several times but a week later the ants would be back. We never did get rid of them on a permanent basis but the Terro treatment would work for a few months before needing to do it again.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes, the ant bait traps work. I live in the country and have problems with ants all during the spring and summer. I get ants in my car all the time too. If you have this problem as well, throw a couple of ant traps up under your seats and it will take care of them in the car as well.

·
Registered
930 Posts
i found out years ago that if i had apple cinnamon cereal in the house then thousands of ants would invade my apartment so no more apple cinnamon cereal

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our exterminator drilled some small holes in several areas along the molding, inside the house. He shot some powder in the holes, then sealed them up. That was 6 years ago; we have not had any ants since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts