The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not know that a reading of 103 FBS was in red zone somehow. I have been getting my annual health checkups every year in January and these are my readings in 2010 ( 93 FBS , 108 2 hrs after meals), 2011( 103 FBS , 126 2 hrs after meals), 2012 (103 FBS , 110 2 hrs after meals).
My other parameters are Age 42, height 180 cm, weight 90 kg , bp 130/80 , cholesterol 205. ECG , echo of heart , Ultra sonography of liver , kidney , pancreas are normal. Urine test is normal.

Any interpretations? Where do I stand ? If i am prediabetic , why The hospital that did my comprehensive health check up did not advise me anything. It's just that someone toldme today that over 100 fbs is not ok.
Thnx

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
According to many studies, a non-diabetic person will register fasting blood sugar of 83 (4.6) or LESS. Greater detail on this subject and more links to studies can be read here.

I can't speak to the whys or wherefores of your hospital policy . . . but it's good policy for us as diabetics to educate ourselves, because in a great many cases, our medical teams do a poor job of filling in the blanks.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
None of us are doctors we can just share our experiences with you. As Shanny said normal fasting bg is 83 or thereabouts. Once you get much above high 90's you are probably approaching pre diabetes. But your after meal bgs seem to be OK. If you want to lower those fasting bgs try watching the amount of carbs in your diet. If you take action in the early stage of diabetes you can achieve normal bgs.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I wouldn't use the Diabetic sticky on you - not yet.

As jwags advised try and avoid the carbs, those from sugars & grains and especially the ones from processed/packaged foods.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If i am prediabetic, why the hospital that did my comprehensive health check up did not advise me anything.
Hi, Mpandey. I don't know how things work in India, but here in the U.S. many doctors don't give much, if any, advice to diabetics, they usually send full-blown diabetics (and sometimes, but not always, prediabetics) to a dietitian for advice. So your checkup sounds like a routine one to me.

You are one of the lucky ones, being diagnosed early in the game. You have a chance to control it with diet and exercise if that is the path you decide to take. I am also prediabetic, I bought the most reasonably priced meter and strips I could find, then did some reading at blood sugar 101 (the link Shanny gave you) and found out when to test and what the numbers mean. I learned what to eat and not to eat by reading posts here and asking questions. I was advised to eat to my meter, and that is the same advice I will pass along to you.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Unless a 103 was a one off reading, you are a pre-diabetic. The problem with doctors and pre-diabetics is that people dont realize how serious this is.

Let me tell you one thing - YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY TO BECOMING A DIABETIC - unless you make changes.

I am not trying to scare you but telling you the truth. I am so passionate about this because my doctor in 2007 never told me this (i had a fasting of 120 then). If there is one person I want to kill in this world, it's him.

But as I said, you can avoid this by making changes.

1. Loose the weight. Your BMI is 27.7. It should not be more than 23. Thats the target for an "Indian body type". These are the recommendations of the Indian Medical Association. That translates into a weight of 74.5 for your hieght

2. Bring down the carbs in your meal. Eliminate all breads, reduce rotis, increase veggies, drop the colas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replying. Another thing I fail to understand is this : in jan 2011 , my fbs was 103 and post meal was 126. In jan 2012 fbs was same (103) but post meal was 110.
Between 2011 and 2012 I never knew I had any issue. My weight and lifestyle remained same. Still why this 'improvement', from 126 to 110 ?

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Mr. Pandey,

Blood Glucose fluctuates on a moment to moment basis like temperature, BP, cholesterol etc. Secondly, meters (even lab equipment) have an acceptable error factor. So 110 and 126 are essentially the same number.

·
Super Moderator
9,626 Posts
Mpandey said:
Thanks for replying. Another thing I fail to understand is this : in jan 2011 , my fbs was 103 and post meal was 126. In jan 2012 fbs was same (103) but post meal was 110.
Between 2011 and 2012 I never knew I had any issue. My weight and lifestyle remained same. Still why this 'improvement', from 126 to 110 ?
As SKB said there are deviations in meter readings that can cause what appears to be an improvement. The things you ate, the physical activity, even the stress from the day(s) before the test can affect the results of the FBS. Were the post meal tests after the same meal (breakfast for example) with the same food and quantity and at the same time after waking? Many factors can affect the outcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks tony. Allow my curiosity to get better of me and ask a probably stupid question : your readings are better than many healthy males (FBG 84, avg 93). Why are you still terming yourself type 2 ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mpandey said:
Thanks tony. Allow my curiosity to get better of me and ask a probably stupid question : your readings are better than many healthy males (FBG 84, avg 93). Why are you still terming yourself type 2 ?
I am not Tony but my husband has about the same readings as Tony and has been off his Metformin for a month now. My husband was DX T2 on Nov.30,2011 with an A1C of 12.3 and sugars running over 300. Within 3 months on meds and LCHF WOE his A1C dropped to a 5.7 and his numbers are in the very normal range and he is no longer on any meds. I think he is a very lucky man and it was probably caught fairly early. If today my husband ate a Mexican Dinner with some delicious Spanish rice and a wonderful flour tortilla his blood sugar would shoot through the roof. This shows that he is a "controlled" diabetic. He will ALWAYS be a diabetic but right now since his pancreas still functions he can control it with his LCHF WOE some are not as fortunate and no one really knows if his pancreas is going to continue to function until his very old age or not. This LCHF WOE is a way of Life for him or he would be back on the meds. Hope this answers your question

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Give me a couple of chocolate chip cookies, some banana split muffins and a big glass of mango milk shake and then check my blood sugar. You will need a rocket to go into space and measure it.... :D:D:D

My blood sugars are at those values because I dont let them go any higher. And thats because of several things, most importantly my diet - extreme low carbohydrate, high fat

I will always be a Type 2. It's a marriage with no end :mad:

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
129 Posts
tony0611 said:
Give me a couple of chocolate chip cookies, some banana split muffins and a big glass of mango milk shake and then check my blood sugar. You will need a rocket to go into space and measure it.... :D:D:D

My blood sugars are at those values because I dont let them go any higher. And thats because of several things, most importantly my diet - extreme low carbohydrate, high fat

I will always be a Type 2. It's a marriage with no end :mad:
Type 2 or Type 1 or Pre you are married and will stay like this forever even being a pre diabetic the moment you look the other way u will get screwed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts