The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I received the sobering news at the doctor's office this morning that I am pre - type 2. They told me I need to start by finding out what my daily food intake is by writing down everything I eat so I can see where I'm at and make the proper adjustments. Can anyone provide me with the name of a good iPhone app that I can use to make this process much easier to begin with?

Thank you so much in advance

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can't answer your question, but I am curious. What was your blood sugar score that fell in the prediabetes range? Mine frequently hovers in that category also, with occasional excursions into the diabetes range. Did your doc also recommend that you get a meter and test your blood glucose on a regular basis?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't answer your question, but I am curious. What was your blood sugar score that fell in the prediabetes range? Mine frequently hovers in that category also, with occasional excursions into the diabetes range. Did your doc also recommend that you get a meter and test your blood glucose on a regular basis?
I wasn't really that high - 105 - the problem is they did a hemoglobin test and my A1C count came back at 6.0. Anything in the range of 5.7 to 6.0 is an increased risk for diabetes. When you couple that with the fact that I have high blood pressure (under control) I fall into the higher risk category. They caught this early so if I make the proper lifestyle changes I can probably stave off the onset of type 2. Believe me, I will make the changes because I don't want to develop the disease!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome Mark . . . I can't help you with an iPhone app either, but I can tell you the first appliance you need is a meter & strips. The next thing you need is to begin reducing the starchy carbs in your diet - all the bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, etc. How very lucky you are to have caught it this early, and I wish you great success in fending off any further development of your diabetes.

Take care and visit us often!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Pre Diabetes is a wierd term. Many feel it is early stage diabetes and needs to be aggressively controlled at those early stages. In many places 6.0 is full blown Type 2. As a full blown type 2 I try to keep my HbA1c below 6 and morning fasting below 90 to avoid complications. Be aware that what causes your bgs to be higher is carbs. The food intake you need to be aware of is your carb intake, especially processed carbs that are ground or pulverised like wheat flour. Carbs from non starchy veggies are the best carbs to consume. Also a bg meter is very important even in the early stages. My testing 2 hours after a meal you can see the impact of the carbs on bgs. Diabetics need to keep bgs between 120-140 or lower. A normal non diabetic is usually close to 100 after meals because his pancreas works normally. A good resource I found that explains all of this is Blood Sugar 101

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've used mynetbuddy and calorie counter by fatsecret... I like the fatsecret one because it has restaurant listings

O

·
0 Posts
welcome papawmark :) I'm sorry to hear you had bad news today. But I guess for you it's a wake up call. My first news was "you're diabetic" I didn't even know there was two types until a few minutes later after being told. It was all so confusing as my association with it was a family member had been unconsious a few times with it and had to have injections. I hated that idea! As others have advised you will get yourself off to a good start by watching what carbs you eat and how much. You should stay away from refined carbs if you can and eat wholegrain and fresh foods which basically help keep your blood sugar more stable rather than spiking on you and then crashing. When this happens your body produces more than necessary insulin to combat the excess sugar in your blood and so that leads to progression of diabetes, etc. So many things for you to learn I'd imagine... this forum has lots of useful info to refer to based on experiences. There's plenty of other good websites too that can help you get your head around it all. I personally used an old fashioned notebook as my food diary when I was first diagnosed and I wrote down all my food intake and portions daily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts