The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a question...when I was diagnosed 28 years ago I was told to inject into my stomach and I guess I never questioned that.

Lately I have been paying a lot more attention to what I do and how I do it. I found a couple of things that bother me;

1. I use novorapid and it can take up to an hour for it to work.

2. It doesn't seem to matter if I take 25mmls or 55mmls of Levemir at night...my blood sugar levels are always going up at dawn...I have tried everything protein/fats etc and nothing works...

What I was wondering was...does where I inject make a difference? I have a LARGE stomach lol...whereas my thighs are not fat...will it make a difference if I inject into my thighs?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think you might be getting some 'slower' absorption by using the tummy. In my case Novolog (NovoRapid for you) tends to work in 10 minutes. Here is a link showing the different injection sites that might be used
Insulin injection sites
Can't say about Levemir, that didn't seem to work for me, however Lantus certainly does.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx Larry...but I can't find where it says what the absorption rate is for different parts of the body

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When I was DX'ed I was told the stomach absorbs insulin the fastest, than the thighs followed by the arms and lastly the butt. I usually take my fast-acting insulin (Humalog) in my stomach and my long-lasting (Lantus) in my thigh to take advantage of the delayed effect. You might check out this page for more info.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx joshua...I guess I'll have to play around to see if another site works faster....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts