The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometime spike with whey powder, so I imagine if you are a type 1 you would need to bolus for it. Also look on the ingredients, different whey powders have different added ingredients. I try to avoid soy, so I look carefully on labels. I don't have an exact recipe for my brownies/fudge, but here it goes.

1/2 cup of almond butter or peanut butter
2 scoops of chocolate whey powder
a few tablespoons of heavy cream or enough to make dough wet
chopped nuts and or unsweet coconut

Mix ingredients into a dough. Then flatten out with hands or a small rolling pin. I like them around 1/2 inch thick. Then cut with knife or pizza cutter into squares. I then put them into a glad or ziplock plastic container and put in freezer to harden. Once hard you can store in fridge. I usually put wax paper in between layers so they don't stick. If you want you could probably add a few spashes of the Torani syrup to add a little flavor. I buy my Torani and Davinci syrups at netrition.com

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
No sweetener, jwags? Or is that the reason for the syrup? I wonder if I can make these with the egg white powder I have to use? I can't seem to find anyone who uses it who can tell me if it can be a substitute...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I sometime spike with whey powder, so I imagine if you are a type 1 you would need to bolus for it. Also look on the ingredients, different whey powders have different added ingredients. I try to avoid soy, so I look carefully on labels. I don't have an exact recipe for my brownies/fudge, but here it goes.

1/2 cup of almond butter or peanut butter
2 scoops of chocolate whey powder
a few tablespoons of heavy cream or enough to make dough wet
chopped nuts and or unsweet coconut

Mix ingredients into a dough. Then flatten out with hands or a small rolling pin. I like them around 1/2 inch thick. Then cut with knife or pizza cutter into squares. I then put them into a glad or ziplock plastic container and put in freezer to harden. Once hard you can store in fridge. I usually put wax paper in between layers so they don't stick. If you want you could probably add a few spashes of the Torani syrup to add a little flavor. I buy my Torani and Davinci syrups at netrition.com
Your brownies/fudge sound delicious. Would you believe it, I actually have all the ingredients in the house to make these. Might just get busy this evening :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Davinci syrup is a sweetner and I usually use a splash or two but then I don't like things sweet. I don't know anything about egg white powder but you could try it. Lots of my recipes are trial and error. Sometimes I come up with recipes when I don't have an ingredient and sub in something else.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Though not the cook that jwags is, I do the same. The problem is, I forget what I've done and then can't replicate. I know, take notes - as if. There's a batch of peanut butter cookies/bars I made back in April that I would pay big money to know how they came about. They were low-carb but not crumbly like the ones I make now, and better flavor. It's gone.

Reminds me of my mom once years ago. She made a killer dinner that I flopped my face into, saying I wanted the recipe so I could eat it every day for the rest of my life. She said something like: "Make a beef burgundy, to the leftovers the next day add XY - to those leftovers add the leftovers of AB - then spice those leftovers with blah blah .... in other words enjoy - you'll never eat it again!"

Reactions: Patdart and jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes when I try to re create a recipe, I can't remember all the ingredients. I made the fudge/brownies yesterday and they tasted OK but different. I think the original ones I also added in some Dark Cocoa Powder to make them a little more chocolaty. Also feel free to add any type of sweetner like splenda, erythitol. MCS also has some great fudge recipes made with Coconut Oil, Cocoa, Peanut Butter, Nuts , cream and sweetner.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Well, I've tried the egg protein powder brownie/fudge recipe. I used 1 c. chunky peanut butter, added the remains of my walnuts, 1 c. powder, some chocolate powder, some stevia to taste, a dash of cream and another dash of Toriani chocolate syrup. To make it mix since the peanut butter was so difficult to mix I heated the whole mess for about 30 seconds in the microwave. Now, it's in the freezer to harden. I'll report later on as to how it tastes. I have a friend and her two sons coming this afternoon, so I should have a taste panel for it. I wished I had put just a hint of vanilla in it, but didn't think about it until I had it all spread out in the container. Maybe next time, if there is one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts