The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where if whey protein powder is a supermarket item or do I have to go to a specialty store, like a Whole Foods?

Thanks!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Walmart has it but but you also need a source of active polyunsaturated oil ( Omega-3 )

Does anybody know where if whey protein powder is a supermarket item or do I have to go to a specialty store, like a Whole Foods?

Thanks!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walmart has it but but you also need a source of active polyunsaturated oil ( Omega-3 )

Do you mean, in order to use it? I have a recipe that mentions whey powder but nothing about polyunsaturated oil :confused:

·
Registered
930 Posts
no, the powder is good by itself but your cells need Omega-3 to do much with it and if you cook your food thus destroying the Omega-3 then you need an extra raw (uncooked) source of Omega-3 and distilled (heated) fish oil isn't it.

Do you mean, in order to use it? I have a recipe that mentions whey powder but nothing about polyunsaturated oil :confused:

·
Registered
344 Posts
I get mine at Target but many of the health nutrition stores have it also. Target seemed to have the best price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I buy vanilla-flavored whey powder from Trader Joe’s. It comes in a green and blue canister. I’ve had other whey powders and find TJ’s the best. I often mix it with plain yogurt, nuts, and berries.

I haven’t heard about any need to take omega-3 with whey. I do take fish oil pills myself and encourage everyone to get the omega-3 they need, but I haven’t heard about any need to have omega-3 to get the benefits of whey. I have heard of studies that fish is a better way to get omega-3 than fish oil pills. I’m not sure how true that is, but I have read it in multiple places. In any case, I think it’s sort of impractical to eat fish every day, not to mention mercury concerns. As I understand it, gentle cooking shouldn’t destroy the omega-3 in fish but omega-3 does degrade with heat and the more it is cooked the more omega-3 is lost.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I buy vanilla-flavored whey powder from Trader Joe’s. It comes in a green and blue canister. I’ve had other whey powders and find TJ’s the best. I often mix it with plain yogurt, nuts, and berries.

I haven’t heard about any need to take omega-3 with whey. I do take fish oil pills myself and encourage everyone to get the omega-3 they need, but I haven’t heard about any need to have omega-3 to get the benefits of whey. I have heard of studies that fish is a better way to get omega-3 than fish oil pills. I’m not sure how true that is, but I have read it in multiple places. In any case, I think it’s sort of impractical to eat fish every day, not to mention mercury concerns. As I understand it, gentle cooking shouldn’t destroy the omega-3 in fish but omega-3 does degrade with heat and the more it is cooked the more omega-3 is lost.

I've given up on the whey for now - way too expensive. If I bought a can, I'd have to move into it.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Thanks, Murf, I actually have a Target run on my list of things to do today!

I've given up on the whey for now - way too expensive. If I bought a can, I'd have to move into it.
I make my shakes as part of or my meal. If you are watching calories then the shake is maybe cheaper than your normal meal. A shake with a banana or other fruit is a complete meal.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I make my shakes as part of or my meal. If you are watching calories then the shake is maybe cheaper than your normal meal. A shake with a banana or other fruit is a complete meal.

I was actually going to buy it to make pancakes with, but it's cheaper just to buy the Maple Grove instead.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I buy mine in the 6 lb bag at Costco. It is the Muscle Milk variety and has 2 carbs per scoop. When I make my pancakes and waffles with it they are virtually carb free. Then I use the Walden Farms 0 carb strawberry syrup and have a meal. I also use it when making some cookies. The bag lasts forever. It comes in chocolate or vanilla. The chocolate is good to make lots of desserts or brownies.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I think you mean "whey too expensive."

Yes, whey is sort of expensive as a single purchase, but a can of whey is good for many servings. At least that's true of the whey I buy. I would guess eggs are probably a cheaper source of protein, but I think on a per serving basis, whey is probably not really any more expensive than a lot of foods most budget-conscious people wouldn't hesitate to buy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stay away from the muscle builders protein. Some have steroids or metals in them.
The big box store protein is cheap enough. I wonder about all this omega 3 stuff. Most of the world is not near a large enough fish population to say it is necessary. I think greens in your diet give you enough as well as fiber, minerals and protein. I do eat fish once a week, but for different reasons

·
Registered
344 Posts
There is many reasons why people would take Whey Protein. I use it for rebuilding from my workouts and to keep my Blood Sugar down during workouts even though it is high in carbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts