The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be testing 3 brands of whey protein over the week.

After making a batch of MCS's breakfast brownies (which are DELICIOUS!) I decided to figure out which component spiked me ... and it turns out, it was the whey. My husband bought an "economy brand" -- half the price. He was so excited. It tasted sickly sweet, but claimed only ONE g carb per scoop!

So first one is: "Healthy Whey" brand: before: 95. 2 hr: 181 :eek:
Into the trash!!! :censored: (husband also tested, 217!).

I have trouble believing my other 2 more usual brands do that, because it is not like me to go that high and get back down again (to near-hypo levels), in the four hours between breakfast and lunch! But ... we shall test and see!

·
Registered
741 Posts
are you using whey protein isolate or whey protein concentrate?

I was just reading this article...I use WPC and the one I use is great for cooking....Im not sure if I was told the Isolate isn't as good...lol sorry brain is dead

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is isolate, but no idea WHY it would be worse than concentrate -- concentrate should be less pure, if anything!

Heading off to read, though!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think it is isolate, but no idea WHY it would be worse than concentrate -- concentrate should be less pure, if anything!

Heading off to read, though!
Now I'm really confused. I have two brands in the house. They are Bob's Red Mill Whey Protein (which is the concentrate) and Jay Robb (which is the isolate). I tried using the JR brand in a glass of coconut milk and I spiked something awful an hour later. What could be causing these spikes I wonder? Will be interested in what you decide after reading.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I was going to try Marty's brownies but was unsure about the whey protein. I'm always curious when I see unusual (to me) ingredients and wonder what it adds to the recipe and if it's "integral" or optional.

I think the more refined whey protein isolate has fewer carbohydrates?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Wouldn't ya know it? Mine's a blend (whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, hydrolyzed whey protein concentrate, L-glutamine, taurine, L-Leucine, L-Phenylalanine, Lactoperoxidase). :rolleyes: Other ingredients are lecithin, oligofructose, cellulose gum, dried cream extract, vitamin E (as mixed tocopherols). Mebbe it's a good thing I use only about two tablespoons at a time? :confused:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This one was NNW Healthy 100% Whey, "A perfect blend of isolate and concentrate whey protein."

Spiked my husband over 200, as well. So it is not "just me."

We will see tomorrow what a competiong brand (at twice the price) will do.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday's NNW spiked me 86 points.

Today: Designer Whey. Starting reading was higher, but the increase at 2 hr = 16 points.

All 3 brands I am testing are a blend of concentrate and isolate -- you cannot go by that, apparently.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This morning's shake was Gold Standard brand, prepared otherwise exactly like the other two ... a spike of 30 points, so not too bad, considering variation in peak time, etc.

But, I think I will keep to the Designer whey once I use up the Gold Standard.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
If I were to put a link in my sig it'd be to your post: "Testing is important - lookie here for why!"

See - my testing has slowed to a crawl since I know pretty much what to stay away from. But this snaps me back to reality as to how vigilant we need to be.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Using insulin, I burn through strips -- but never so fast as this week, as I tried to cope with a mysterious source of spikes!

Yes, any "products," let alone foods, must be tested -- the more so if labeled. Cause let's face it, one white powder looks pretty much like another!

It does go to show you though, how many foods that we eat might just be contaminated, with things other than we can test for, so we never know it ... scary, huh?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Whey protein isolate (WPI) does not contain lactose or fat, so it's zero carb, whey protein concentrate (WPC) does contain lactose and milk fat. I found WPC had an unpleasant side effect, foul smelling ripper farts. The DW forbid me from eating it ever again!
If you don't mind the lactose and fat, WPC is cheaper and somewhat less processed.
I'm fine with WPI, I add it to my muffins, it's probably good in pancake batter, too. Get the cold micro-filtered type.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I use the WPC as it's 1/2 the price...I think all brands are somewhat different in content...so I make sure to check the ingredients

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whey protein is most commonly used in the men that are interested to gain the weight in a very rapid way but they have to be conscious and use the specific quantity of the whey protein that will be useful for the human body.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aedan, yes ... MUSCLE mass, not weight from body fat.

Many diabetics also use whey -- as a drink, and as a substitute (in part) for flour in baking.

·
Registered
741 Posts
But, you see, Deena, I DID check them! There was absolutely no way to tell ...
oh it's difficult enough without companies making it more confusing...(insert rant on consistent labelling) *blows raspberry*

Reactions: foxl
1 - 20 of 20 Posts