The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you think that we don't have fast insulin reaction as I find that the novorapid has been also called Novoslow and I haven't tried Apidra yet. :eek:
Also the food that we eat is faster?? Bread is just as fast as jelly beans!!! :eek::confused:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Good morning Peter. I have a friend whose insurance company stopped funding Apidra and he had to start using Novolog. Apidra completed its cycle in 3 hrs for him but Novolog takes 4 hrs. I use Humalog and it takes 4-5 hrs before it gives out. Thes insulins also seem to last different amounts of time for different people.
The amount of time food takes to raise your blood sugar depends largely on the glycemic index. White bread certainly works fast but glucose tablets starts raising blood sugar in about 15 minutes so I always use them when I have a very low number.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree that it seems to take a very long time for my fast acting insulin to "kick in" lol I get these awful headaches when I eat-- I give myself my injection before my meals like I was told but it seems that it takes forever for my sugar to come down.. and I am being very careful with what I am eating-- it is almost as if I want to say "skip it" and just eat the "bad"stuff anyways... I have also been experiencing some serious highs and then of course the wonderful lows. Been kinda a roller coaster this last week. I am not sick.. I have been eating well.. so I assume it is either my work schedule catching up with me OR my sliding scale needs to be changed!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I have just decided to have a simple lunch and counted 100 carbs. sorry Terrie & all other low carbers and taken 30U so the sum is.

I:C Ratio 3:1 So 10 Grammes = 1CP (Carb Portion) So 3X10 = 30U. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts