The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Vitamin D3 - because I'm chronically low without.
Calcium - I only take when I cut back on dairy. Too much calcium risks kidney stones, did you know that?
Vitamin C - small skin injuries on lower legs seem to heal better; I only take when I am not eating citrus.
Too Much Vitamin C Not Good for Diabetics' Hearts
Multi-vitamin - just cuz doc says to.
Fish oil - I just take this in winter. I stopped getting the terribly dry skin. Worked for the dog, then worked for me!

I personally look at supplements as drugs and only take what I really feel I need to.

Reactions: Cricket

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have gone back and forth on supplements for years now, never quite making up my mind what I should or shouldn't do.

A few months back, I started taking Magnesium Malate, NAC, and VitaminD3 because I was feeling exhausted all of the time. I feel 100 times better now, but like a fool I started them all at the same time, so I have no clue which one (if any) is responsible for the improvement.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
I take some supplements because I tested low (D3, but then I added K2 because it works with D3), some because the soil does not provide as much to food as it used to (magnesium, potassium, multivitamin), some for other health conditions (garlic, krill oil, vitamin c, COQ10, turmeric), some for just in case they do work ( don't think I have any in this category at the moment)

Reactions: Bunjee

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Vitamin K2 mk7 is the only one. My labs say I'm not deficient in any area. I prefer to get everything I need from what I eat. My wife is always low on vitamin D even though she supplements high doses daily and takes a multi vitamin with it in too. Reading a lot, I have little faith in supplementation. No guarantee that what you think you are getting will find it's way to where it needs to go to help a deficiency.

Reactions: Bunjee and Cricket

·
Registered
136 Posts
I take D3 B complex, a multivitamin, magnesium and a supplement called Agilease. I also use essential oils which have enabled me to get off my daily dose of ibuprophen, (had been on 800mg 4x per day for years) :) in addition to the diabetes, I have fibromyalgia and Hashimotos disease

·
Registered
801 Posts
My sister's doc actually told her to take the COQ10 because it alleviates some side effect of Lipitor (which she chooses to take). I think that is what that was about anyway.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Wednesday, March 29:

5:01 AM (FBG, before breakfast): 103
Breakfast: avocado, TJ’s spicy Italian chicken sausage, 1/8 wheel brie, coffee
7:51 AM: 106

9:30 AM (snack): QuestBar Beyond Cereal Protein Bar (waffle flavor)

11:20 AM (before lunch): 108
Lunch: salad (steak, Colby/Jack, onion, green onion, mini bell peppers), 1 oz. Baker’s unsweetened baking chocolate
1:45 PM: 83

3:10 PM-ish (snack): 3/4 oz. pork rinds

7:10 PM-ish (dinner, forgot to test): ground turkey sautéed with onions, mini bell peppers, asparagus spears; low-carb blueberry ice cream
9:41 PM: 105

Then snack: 2 squares Ghirardelli 72% Twilight Delight dark chocolate

Average for the day: 101

Macronutrients: 101 grams carbs (42 grams fiber), 164 grams fat, 137 grams protein
Calories: 2,374

1 - 8 of 8 Posts