The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found for me that a snack at bedtime always seems to help my fasting BG readings by preventing (at least somewhat) of the issues of dawn phenomenon / liver dump.

I used to have a granny smith apple with peanut butter every night, which did help my readings a bit, but I've now lowered my carb intake and found I'm having better fasting readings now with a nightly protein shake and a small handful of nuts (almonds/peanuts/cashews).

I'm wondering who all else has a bedtime snack, what you typically have, and what's your reasoning for it? Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello beefy, I have a pear & muskmelon smoothy or Fiji with Coffee(!!) before bedtime. I also walk for half an hour or so after my night meal. My BG r around 112 since three days, its my evening highs I am worried sometimes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Beefy, I always have a late evening snack, mostly to increase my calories for the day, in order to halt my weight loss. I find that if I overdo the sugar, or high glycemic starch, my morning score will be higher. One thing I love that doesn't do that is Kashi waffles. They are high in fiber, low in fat. I toast them and top them with frozen sliced strawberries, no sugar added. I sweeten them with Stevia. Delicious! That wouldn't do for people following a low carbohydrate diet.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i always have my last meal of the day around 1am

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have about 30g carbs and 7g protein around 11pm...and I wake up at 7-7:30 to test for fasting and get a number anywhere from the 60s to 80s.

Last night I only had 15g carbs, and woke up at 3am crashing....I had 1/2 banana and my number was 87 this morning when I woke. Not a true fasting, but I'm glad it wasn't higher.

So, looks like I need 30g carbs to make it through the night without a crash - and it doesn't matter if the carbs are crackers, fruit, yogurt, ice cream, or whathaveyou.

Reactions: dae63
1 - 5 of 5 Posts