The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I have been experiencing hair loss for the last 2-3 months, since my diagnosis.

I am trying to understand the cause for this so I can take some actions. Can you guys please help me on this ?

Here are the candidates

1. Blood Sugar : BG control has been good for the last three months, with fasting in the 80s and 90's and post meals below 120 (94% of my readings)

2. Metformin: I've heard about the link, is it true ? If yes will they grow back ?

3. LCHF diet: I am pretty much eating everything I ate earlier except the bread, pastas, grains of all kinds, starchy vegetables and fruits

I've also been popping in a vitamin B12 pill, even though no one asked me.

I know I've been posting a lot of thread lately hopefully with passing time I can behave more

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I've had major hair loss since my dx - and sorry to say it's not abating. I've lost over half my hair, and every month I think "this is the worst it will get" and it continues.

I've been to docs (2 GPs, endo, dermatologist) and hairdressers (2) and they all have different opinions. I've had blood work, with the only one left I need to take care of this week: early morning testosterone bloodwork to eliminate a tumor throwing of testosterone (talk about a long shot, but that's what she said). My bloodwork is great, my B12 high, hormones fine - no explanation.

I have fine hair, but always had =a lot= of it. The thing everyone throws out is stress - yes, I have a lot of that too. Still - there are plenty of people with great stress who aren't majorly moulting. This is nuts.

Here's what I've concluded: nobody knows. There are no answers, just being the healthiest we can be, reducing stress wherever possible, and not looking in the mirror.

The only thing besides stress I can question now is diet. But this forum is filled with people who eat like I do and aren't shedding endlessly.

Dunno Tony. Wish I did. I didn't mean to hijack your thread as much as tell you - you have my deepest, heartfelt empathy. The only thing worse than being you and losing hair, is being a woman and losing hair. That's small comfort but it's true. Men are sexy bald. Women are just - bald.

I think most people get it back without a problem. It's just that I'm 61 already and don't have as long to wait!

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sexy enough :D

My hair covers my scalp psoriasis. Guess what will happen to that

·
Registered
7 Posts
tony0611 said:
Hi I have been experiencing hair loss for the last 2-3 months, since my diagnosis.

I am trying to understand the cause for this so I can take some actions. Can you guys please help me on this ?

Here are the candidates

1. Blood Sugar : BG control has been good for the last three months, with fasting in the 80s and 90's and post meals below 120 (94% of my readings)

2. Metformin: I've heard about the link, is it true ? If yes will they grow back ?

3. LCHF diet: I am pretty much eating everything I ate earlier except the bread, pastas, grains of all kinds, starchy vegetables and fruits

I've also been popping in a vitamin B12 pill, even though no one asked me.

I know I've been posting a lot of thread lately hopefully with passing time I can behave more

Hey, since I started metfor min << can't type word in auto correct won't let me on my iPad << I've had an increase in hair lose, but while I was pregnant with first baby my hair started to grow back, I was not on it then, now off it again because pregnant again and my hair is thickening, but... It could be more to do with growth hormones, I'd like to think it because I'm off metfor min.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Franci said:
Hey, since I started metfor min << can't type word in auto correct won't let me on my iPad << I've had an increase in hair lose, but while I was pregnant with first baby my hair started to grow back, I was not on it then, now off it again because pregnant again and my hair is thickening, but... It could be more to do with growth hormones, I'd like to think it because I'm off metfor min.
Oh and my husband had a scalp condition, we started eating of silver knives and forks, it's gone, only when he's under great stress does it visit again.

·
Registered
916 Posts
ok I can join this rodeo. I have always had lots of hair.
Till 3yrs ago. it started in small patchs the size of quarters. it grew back. then it went to big areas of loss. Nothing I couldn't hide with other hair. then worst & worse.
to the point now I am going wig shopping. almost no hair whatsoever. Other hair is still there, eyebrows, eyelashes, hair that 'must' be removed. Now why is that :confused:

I am done with creams & lotions & head scarves .

I was dx 3 yrs ago & this is when my hairs went missing.
endo says no its not from D. Derm/skin doc says no its not from D.
No its not from my meds. No its not from stress,hey losing hair IS stressfull.! Its from a virus that attacked your hair folicle & killed the root. ok why?
will my hair grow back . No one seems to know.
Me I am going to have to live with it, & buy a wig or 2. In gray .:hippie:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Any change in diet or medication can cause hair loss. Last year I had terrible hair loss and would wake up and my pillow would be full of it. I thought about the metformin, too but couldn't find any connections. I was on a statin at the time and discontinued it and started taking Biotin, B vitamins and CoQ10. I also bought a Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner . I try not to wash my hair every day and try not to use hair dryers or straighteners on it. After a year now it has regrown very thick. The only other change I made to my diet is that I added Coconut Oil every day. Also hair loss can be due to changing thyroid hormones, so get your levels checked.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I lost a bit of hair immediately before being diagnosed, most noticeably in a clump right at the peak of my forehead, no hiding that! I don't take any medications and even after getting my BG perfect it still hasn't grown back...

Now I just part my hair to one side and hope that I don't lose anymore! I already had very thin blonde hair so now I'm just showing off my scalp even more. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am convinced that my wife pulls mine out when I'm sleeping!!
If not me pulling it out when she's awake!! :D

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Me too, hair as thin as a new born baby, had a thick mass of blonde brown curls at one time.

I think if I cut up my wifes credit cards mine might grow back.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Me too, hair as thin as a new born baby, had a thick mass of blonde brown curls at one time.

I think if I cut up my wifes credit cards mine might grow back.
If you cut up the credit cards, I suspect something more vital may get snipped :D

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys I was thinking that maybe the culprit for my hair loss is my interpretation of the LCHF diet.

One of the biggest reasons of hair loss is loss of essential nutrients. I have not had any grain, fruit and milk for nearly 100 days now.

Do you think this maybe an issue ?

What are the essential nutrients that the body needs and how do i get them without the carbs

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Guys I was thinking that maybe the culprit for my hair loss is my interpretation of the LCHF diet.

One of the biggest reasons of hair loss is loss of essential nutrients. I have not had any grain, fruit and milk for nearly 100 days now.

Do you think this maybe an issue ?

What are the essential nutrients that the body needs and how do i get them without the carbs
Meat is full of essential vitamins and nutrients. So are green leafy vegetables though not as much. One of the best sources (both in quantity, bio-availability and diversity) is organ meat. Eating liver, kidneys and heart along with bone broth pretty much eliminates the need for daily vitamins.

In addition many carb sources (wheat, grains, legumes, etc) have a large amount of anti-nutrients, and cause you to need even more vitamins (like B12). When you remove these foods, you actually need less and what you do need can usually be met by eating real (unprocessed) food.

One resource for tackling hair loss through nutrition is Danny Roddy's website www.dannyroddy.com. He has spent ton of time and thought on this subject and is coming out with a book soon too, Hair Like a Fox. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Thanks for that link, Daytona - !

·
Registered
249 Posts
I started losing my hair after my hysterectomy two years ago. I always had full, thick hair. I have notice that since being on the medication for my diabetes, it seems to be coming out more. One day I think I will wake up totally bald. These are the times when women wish we were men I am sure. It's ok to be a bald man in society, but not so much to be a bald woman.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts