The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(well, "perfect" if you scrap that carby English muffin & use half a low-carb thin bun or a slice of eggplant (this is incredible - bread with low-carb breading & fry before using as a base for your benedict) or summer squash! :D I also scrapped the Canadian bacon, since we like regular bacon better & always have it on hand)

one thin bun, toasted (a half for each of us) or the aforementioned eggplant or squash
two jumbo eggs (gently poached)
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked crisp
1 cup hollandaise sauce (homemade - recipe below)

Place 3 or 4 strips of bacon (or a nice slice of Canadian bacon) on the base and one poached egg on top of the bacon. Drizzle hollandaise over, and sprinkle a few grains of ground red pepper if you like.

Hollandaise:
1 jumbo egg
2 capfuls lemon juice
dash of salt
dash of white pepper
1 stick of dairy butter, melted and HOT

Whisk the egg, lemon juice & seasonings together until frothy. While continuing to whisk, pour in a thin stream of the hot butter & continue pouring until all butter is incorporated into the egg mixture. If it hasn't thickened a little, give it a nudge in the microwave by 10-second zaps and stir well after each zap until it begins to thicken. As soon as it BEGINS to thicken, that's enough - it's done. Serve hot.

(it's meals like this that almost make me glad I'm diabetic! heehee! :D)

Recipe makes two servings.

Nutritional value for one serving:
calories: 368
calories from fat: 309
total fat: 33g
saturated fat: 15g
trans fat: 0g
cholesterol: 360mg
sodium: 688mg
total carbs: 12g (using eggplant or squash lowers this dramatically!)
dietary fiber: 3g
sugars: 2g
protein: 20g
vitamin A: 14%
vitamin C: 1%
calcium: 6%
Iron: 10%

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We had this for supper tonight, and as I live & breathe, I could go back & eat three more platefuls without even batting an EYE! OMG it was good!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
That sounds like my kind of breakfast, but I would have to make more than two eggs I am a three egg man, wifes a one egg lady.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts