Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

whooping cough due to diabetes

22K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Jen 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and desperate for a remedy. My mother is suffering from diabetes from a long time now. We have changed many doctors but the diabetes the diabetes does not becomes normal, moreover after diabetes she got infected with whooping cough and she keep on coughing for long time. I have tried many medicines but no good. Please help what should be done. Any home remedy, excise or special diet that I need to follow so that diabetes is reduced and cough is cured. Hoping for reply. Thanks.
Regards
Amit

#2 ·
Welcome to DF, Amit . . . nice to meet you.

Without more information, it's hard to say what are the best options for your mother. Has she seen a doctor for either of these ailments? Is she on any medicine or insulin for her diabetes? What kind of diet does she eat now? Is she able to exercise?

#3 ·
Hi Shanny. Thanks for your reply. She is seeing already seeing a doctor for diabetes and cough. She does yoga at home and she follows normal diet..no sugar, rice, or vegetables which grow under soil as recommended by doctor. She coughs throughout the day and coughs for almost 2-3 min when she starts coughing. she currently is going through following treatment
Injection Lipisulin M50 50 units
Tab Zoryl 4 mg
Tab Roxid 150
Tab L-Montus
Tab Montek LC
and other are ayurvedic and unnani medicines.
Her sugar level is 326 mg/dl

#4 ·
If her sugar level is running over 300 very often, her Lupisulin and Zoryl dosages need to be adjusted - they are not keeping her within a safe range (which should be about 90-140 mg/dl). Does her diet contain other carbs - possibly wheat products like breads? That is a big offender for many diabetics.

Is her cough diagnosed as actual Pertussis? Does she have asthma or other respiratory illnesses?

The high blood sugar can hinder the healing process of the other ailments, just the same as it can hinder the healing of wounds. Whatever it takes to get her blood sugar down is going to help all the other things too.

Keep us posted . . .

#5 ·
Welcome Admit, you are in the right place for answers.

You love your mother very much to want to help her.

What is your mother's diet? That is important to getting her blood sugar down. You have to be careful with a diet that involves someone who is sick. Sometimes the diet can raise the blood sugar. Check all labels and be sure to give her the serving size that is on the label.

Have you tried Vick's vapo rub for your mother? It comes in a jar. I have some handy. When I have a cold on cough, I rub it on underneath my neck when I go to bed. Also, a humidifor (sp?) might help.

Ruth

#8 ·
Welcome to Diabetes Forum! I am sorry to hear that your Mother is not feeling well. I think that the whooping cough will have to run its course. There are strong cough medications available that contain codeine, but you need a prescription for it in the USA. Maybe this would help to calm the cough down. Has any doctor suggested a breathing treatment with a nebulizer? A persistent cough can really be a nuisance and make you very weak. Come and visit us often!

#15 ·
Here's hope, Amit?

Amit, hullo. My house-partner has diabetes 2, is very much a 'male', refused to eat healthily... and is paying the price now.
But we women are smarter. I have successfully 'managed' my ms for 18 years now, and despite many lesions am relatively healthy!
I ascribe my wellness to what I do, and much of what I do is documented under The Wellness Secret.
This may seem like a bid for a buy, or a scam. I assure you that it isn't - I am a real person with a real 'condition', and I Really practise The Wellness Secret.
It's worth a try, hmmm?

Love & Light & Laughter
Em

#17 ·
Amit, hullo. My house-partner has diabetes 2, is very much a 'male', refused to eat healthily... and is paying the price now.
But we women are smarter. I have successfully 'managed' my ms for 18 years now, and despite many lesions am relatively healthy!
I ascribe my wellness to what I do, and much of what I do is documented under The Wellness Secret.
This may seem like a bid for a buy, or a scam. I assure you that it isn't - I am a real person with a real 'condition', and I Really practise The Wellness Secret.
It's worth a try, hmmm?

Love & Light & Laughter
Em
Hi Em. With your personal experience of success with The Wellness Secret, I'm sure you want to share it right here and now with all of us! How wonderful. I'm really looking forward to the post in which you share the mysterious good news.

To the original poster Amit: If your Mother's blood sugar is running high, it will be more difficult for her to heal from any infection. Whatever can be done to help her get her blood sugar as close to a non-diabetic range as possible will help.

Best,
Jen

#16 · (Edited)
Hi Amit, when whooping cough gets that bad, go to the ER, STAT, do not delay. A person can die from it, if it is not treated.

I do not believe whooping cough has anything to do with diabetes. Anymore than the flu or any other winter illness.

I live in an area where whooping cough has become prevalent. Most everyone, including me, has had the vaccine for whooping cough. I have also had the flu shot.

I know a lot of people do not believe in getting the shots. I am not trying to tell others what to do. It is up to each individual.

Em, please do not say that women are smarter than men. I know some men who are keeping their diabetes under strict control. You are discriminating.

Ruth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.