The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
So OK.. here's the deal. Went to my local nation wide big box savings store (who's initials are "WM") pharmacy to replenish my just about empty box of lancets. I still had a couple of refills left on the prescription label.

Up to this time the lancets I had been using were all "Gray" in color. Waiting for my prescription to be filled I wandered throughout the store.. and then returned to the pharmacy about 45 minutes later. Imagine my surprise :eek: when I found out my prescription wouldn't be filled.

WHY..!!?

They didn't have any "GRAY" color Bayer Microlet Lancets (Box #6586).. but they had lots of Bayer Microlet Lancets (Box #6586C) that came in a assortment of COLORS.. and because my insurance company didn't authorize the "multi-colored" lancets, I needed a new prescription from my family Doctor. :mad2:

I go to my Doctor's office and spoke to my Doctor's Nurse Practitioner who gave me a Doctor signed prescription dated that day. I took it back to the SAME "WM" pharmacy who (at that point, after calling my insurance company and received the OK), filled it with (guess what..!!..?), the........

Bayer Multi-Colored Lancets (Box #6586C)!!!!!!!! :confused2:

There was NOTHING on the new prescription that indicated which lancets to use.. or the color. Now is that stupid.. or what? So the question is:

"Why Can't Insurence Companies Use Common Sense..!!.. (or is it just me)?"

Breeze 2 User

P.S. By the way.. the "Multi-Color" lancets are the same price as the "Gray" ones. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Whoa baby . . . don't get me started on insurance companies . . .

(and NO! It isn't just you!
)
I remember when I first got diagnosed. I went to a big concert that night and was going to take my first home insulin (I had been in the hospital) when I got home. But my BS was pretty high and my endocrinologist wanted me to give a bolus. My mom and dad went to the pharmacy (which starts with the same letters as the place you went Breeze), and the insurance company wouldn't approve the lantus without DR authorization.
We had to pay full price, even though we had a script from the hospital. Went to me endo the next day and his nurse called and talked to my insurance company. They finally approved the lantus, which I could have gotten for free from my endo if we knew there would be a problem. But since I used a different script than the one that got approved, they would not refund the out of pocket expense.
And don't get me started on the struggle we are currently having about getting a pump...
:yell::frusty:

·
Registered
633 Posts
I cant beleive that you have a script for lacets. I personally have been usint the same box that I got at the same place you mentioned like 10 years ago. A small box of 50 will last me well at least 50 months or more.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I cant beleive that you have a script for lacets. I personally have been usint the same box that I got at the same place you mentioned like 10 years ago. A small box of 50 will last me well at least 50 months or more.
Well I honestly don't know how thats even possible. I test 4 times a day so I go through them pretty quickly. But whatever works for you, best of luck.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Some of us almost never change the lancet . . . I know I go for months using the same one - only change it if I test someone else.

Last week at the family reunion I changed it about six times, testing the kids. (My son's first reading - after a big buffet dinner - was 61. None of us believed he could be that low after all the mashed potatoes he ate, but he retested & was only 67. :D)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So OK.. here's the deal. Went to my local nation wide big box savings store (who's initials are "WM") pharmacy to replenish my just about empty box of lancets. I still had a couple of refills left on the prescription label.

Up to this time the lancets I had been using were all "Gray" in color. Waiting for my prescription to be filled I wandered throughout the store.. and then returned to the pharmacy about 45 minutes later. Imagine my surprise :eek: when I found out my prescription wouldn't be filled.

WHY..!!?

They didn't have any "GRAY" color Bayer Microlet Lancets (Box #6586).. but they had lots of Bayer Microlet Lancets (Box #6586C) that came in a assortment of COLORS.. and because my insurance company didn't authorize the "multi-colored" lancets, I needed a new prescription from my family Doctor. :mad2:

I go to my Doctor's office and spoke to my Doctor's Nurse Practitioner who gave me a Doctor signed prescription dated that day. I took it back to the SAME "WM" pharmacy who (at that point, after calling my insurance company and received the OK), filled it with (guess what..!!..?), the........

Bayer Multi-Colored Lancets (Box #6586C)!!!!!!!! :confused2:

There was NOTHING on the new prescription that indicated which lancets to use.. or the color. Now is that stupid.. or what? So the question is:

"Why Can't Insurence Companies Use Common Sense..!!.. (or is it just me)?"

Breeze 2 User

P.S. By the way.. the "Multi-Color" lancets are the same price as the "Gray" ones. :rolleyes:
This is ridiculous! I stopped going to WM pharmacy because the people working there just seemed to be plain stupid. A good pharmacist could have pushed that lancet RX through. We are just talking about a "lancet" here-not like it is a controlled substance.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Only If I Wanted To Pay Myself..!

I could have purchased the kit, test strips and lancets myself.. but by having it done through my Doctor I could get it paid for by my insurance company. As a example.. if I were to buy Bayer Breeze 2 test strips (100 count) myself it would be over $100.. but through my insurance (which I have to pay for anyways), its just a few bucks in comparison.

It's the same with the Lancets. I could buy them myself.. but why do it when I'm already paying for them through insurance. By getting a new dated prescription it then automatically became "authorized" under the rules and regulations of my insurance company.. which doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense considering the Gray and multi-colored are physically both one and the same..

"GRAY's" OK.. but Multi-Color needs our prior Authorization! :censored: Yeah.. try wrapping your mind around THAT one.

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Some of us almost never change the lancet . . . I know I go for months using the same one - only change it if I test someone else.

Last week at the family reunion I changed it about six times, testing the kids. (My son's first reading - after a big buffet dinner - was 61. None of us believed he could be that low after all the mashed potatoes he ate, but he retested & was only 67. :D)
I am terrible...I change it when it starts to hurt LOL. I try at least to change it every time I open a new vial of strips....if I remember...sometimes *heh*

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
With the Renew Lancing Device, you can only use a lancet once. I still have 10 cartridges left (200 lancets) and then I am back to Multiclix. The Renew system has been discontinued. :Cry:

·
Registered
158 Posts
insurance companies can be a pain

1 - 11 of 11 Posts