The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone ! do any of you just gets fed up and do throw caution to the wind. I am going crazy with eat this not that. Do not drink diet soda because of aspertain or somnething like that. Do boost but not offen because the product is expensive. Trying to cut out regular soda and the ghost that haunts me which is chocolate, why do I stay hunger all the time and my thristy throat now has me drinking almost a gallon of water in 24 hour period.

I live with my family and share groceries bill so it's hard to cook two separate meals. I am type 2 but I still take insulin twice a day along with methfor.n I will start walking for a couple of hours next week or when it cools off some.
:violin:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Most of us get fed up on occasion and Yes, some do throw caution to the wind. But in the end, we are the ones who pay for it with higher blood sugar and/or complication. There is an old saying that goes something like: "you are the one in control". Either you control the diabetes or it controls you.

Personally I don't care for regular soda because it is too sweet. It has something like 10 teaspoons of sugar in every can, and for me that is too much. It depends on what your family is fond of eating - but there isn't any reason to cook two meals. Even if your family is eating pasta, rice, potatoes or other higher carb items - you can still have those foods. Just eat 'less' of them.

I guess it depends on you. Do you want to make the effort to be more healthy by controlling your diet and exercise? You can do it and Yes, it does get very boring at times. Give it a try because in the end you are the winner.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Some at this forum stay away from artificial sweeteners, some will only use certain ones, some aren't particular about which ones they use. There are studies that show some sweeteners are bad for us, while other studies say the same sweeteners are fine.

Dr. Bernstein, who is recognized as one of the foremost experts on diabetes and prediabetes has written a book which you can read online.
Read It Online!
He gives advice on which artificial sweeteners he considers to be safe to use and one is aspartame. So in the end, it is a decision that each of us has to make on our own.

Low carb is a healthy way of eating. Research shows it can reverse kidney failure, and is effective for seizure control in children with epilepsy. Some at the forum have reversed diabetic neuropothy and other diabetic-related complications with a low carb diet, so I believe it is a healty way for everyone to eat, not just diabetics. If my kids were still living at home, I wouldn't hesitate to cook low carb for them. Many of us have taken our old recipes and revised them to make them low carb. There are some good recipes in the recipe section of this forum.

There are people like me who couldn't stay on a low carb diet if it wasn't for recipes for things like low carb pizza, bread, gravy, ice cream, etc. And if you decide to use artificial sweeteners, Netrition.com sells no-carb, no-calorie syrups and fruit spreads, and several other low carb goodies. Shipping is only $4.95 no matter how much you order, and they have chocolate syrup. (I'm a chocoholic, too.) So even though there are some things I can't eat, I don't feel deprived and am not tempted to go off my diet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello, I feel your soda pain :) I drank Dr. Pepper for 25 years straight 2- 2liters a day (at least) I went cold turkey 4 months ago NO I didn't go totally cold turkey, I have a 7.5oz Sprite with my meals and it totally fits into my carbs(24gs) and gives me my soda fix all in one. Try it sometime. As someone said above, you don't have to give up everything just smaller potions. Good Luck with the soda demon :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with Mrs Rucker. I LOVE cherry coke as much as many people like alcohol.i tried to give it up completely but I simply can't, at least not at this time. So what I do is treat myself to it every now and then on a day when I can fit it in my carb count

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.