The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we found out 4 weeks ago hubby was Type 2 I jumped online and started researching. One of my first finds was this forum and YouTube cooking and education videos. The biggest thing I get from everywhere is Low Carb. The first thing I do is get almost every carb out of the house and go shopping online for things I have never heard of ( flax seed,almond flour,coconut oil,xanthan gum,erythritol,stevia,ect.) I call my aunt who is a school nurse now and has to go to classes for D every year plus her hubby in an insulin dependent Type2 and tell her what my plan is to help my hubby. The first thing she says is " diabetics need carbs or they can go into a coma state" (what? so I am doing more harm than good) I told her some of the meals I made for him and she asked where are his carbs. I am so confused and trying so hard to get this under control :( What there is fat that is Healthy? What there are vegetables that have carbs? OMG more research...

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think that it is a balancing act especially for someone using insulin. Moderation. My feeling is that everyone in North America could cut way back on their carbs to no ill effects. Notice, I said cut back; not remove.

Also, in the era of the internet, there is much "false" info as well as results from poorly done research which is seldom peer reviewed.

Stick with this bunch here, actual users. Follow their guidance.

Best wishes.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
916 Posts
do yourself a favor & get a carb list of foods you are to be eating.

I have the Atkins A New You. Loads of great info there. I follow this to a tee.
The Calorie King , fat & carb counter.

portion control. Is a must.
I only have 15cb for breakfast or less. the same with lunch. sometimes dinner too. never do I go over 60.

I have learned to NOT listen to others . Even my Dr & her team of reg. dietitians.

my eyes where opened when I found this forum.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Caroline I will check out that book right now. I jumped in this right away changing his diet from the very first day but not seeing the results I thought I would. His sugar reading is a lil better but I want normal range ASAP. He still is not doing the exercise thing and it would probably help if he would. I jumped on the exercise bike right before bed in hopes he would follow suit...didn't work that way though :( I will keep buggin him til he gets tired of me and starts the exercise lol We have been married 22 years he should know by now I always win :)~

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Many of us have discovered a Low Carb Way of Eating and it is fantastic. I had dieted on and off for years but always tended to gain the weight back. I also ate a higher carb, low fat, vegetarian diet for years before diabetes. When I was dx'd my dietician told me we need carbs and prescribed 60 carbs per meal plust 2 snacks of 30-45 carbs. That was way too many carbs for me and never brought my bgs much under 160-180. I discovered a book by Dr Bernstein, a long time Type 1 Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site In the book he really gives you a medical history lesson about Diabetes and what it does to your body. He reversed a lot of his complication by using a very low carb diet. He even has menus and recipes in his book. That was my first introduction to Low carb. I think where the misinformation about low carb comes from is if you are on insulin and you don't lower the amount of insulin you are taking at meals to the amount of carbs you are eating. If you take too much insulin and eat too few carbs then there is a possiblility of going low. Most Type 2's have a safe guard system that puts out the hormone Glucagon if we are falling too low. It then signals liver to convert stored glycogen into glucose raising our bgs. The dangers with diabetics is going too low or going too high. If you eat low carb and keep your bgs in a relatively normal range, you should be OK. In my 5 years of Diabetes I have found the foods that spike me and given them up. They are grains, especially wheat flour, oatmeal, fruit, sugar, pasta, rice and potatoes. Pretty much every else I can eat. I have a fantastic diet of bacon and eggs or sausage, tons of salads and veggies, all sorts of meats and cheeses. I have discovered a new way of baking which is gluten and sugar free. I incorperate almond flour, coconut flour, flaxseed, pecan meal and real butter or coconut oil and make cookies, muffins, cakes even pizza. It is a little strange at first but you get used to it. When you start seeing bgs in the 80's after eating several Gluten Free Christmas cookies you will want to eat this way forever.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Diabetes is a personal goal oriented disease. Its a balancing act between what your BG goals are, what you want your diet to be and what your are willing to do to maintain your BG goals.

You have to wonder why in the world your aunt would suggest you could into a coma with out carbs. If you are giving some one to much insulin yes you need carbs to keep from going hypo, remove the carbs, lower the insulin requirement.

My first thought after reading your OP is does your aunt's husband need insulin if he would have cut back on the carbs.

All of my wifes side of the family is of the same opinion including my daughter until her husband's D got out of control. Now she calls me for recipe advise on how to lower the carb count to keep him off of insulin.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
One of the saddest things you will encounter is that in addition to extremely bad advice, health care professionals are telling us outright lies. Whether ignorance or "conspiracy" could be discussed without end but one thing is clear: the advice they are giving is doing wonders for the multi-billion dollar diabetic medication industry.

If you husband is not taking insulin or certain medications actually capable of producing lows (Metformin which he was most likely given is NOT one of those), then there is absolutely no danger in reducing carbs, even all the way down to zero.

You can die from lack of protein. You can die from lack of fat. You cannot die from lack of carbs. There is no such thing as a "carbohydrate deficiency". Period.

Every person who finished medical school knows this or if not, should not have passed. It is not in dispute. The list of "essential" nutrients has been completed and there is not a single carbohydrate on it. Additionally, the entire list can be fulfilled even without eating a single carbohydrate-containing food.

Any fats found in nature and consumed in their natural state are "good" fats. All "fats" not found in nature or highly modified and/or processed are suspect and most likely "bad" fats. Good fats include coconut oil, butter, ghee, olive oil, avocados and all animal fats.

Blood sugar only comes from carbohydrates and protein, mostly the former. Reducing carbs a LOT and keeping protein moderate should be the first step and should be taken seriously. If done in earnest, the majority of T2s will find that they need no other treatment or medication of any kind.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
What there are vegetables that have carbs?
Yes, not only some, but all veggies have carbs. I don't know if you have heard of the glycemic index, but that is what helped me a lot when we first started eating low carb. We eat the ones that are low on the glycemic index, we stay away from the ones that are high, and for the ones that are medium, we eat them, look at how high they raise our bg, and if they raise it too much, we don't eat them again. For example, onions are medium on the index. My husband and I can eat them because they don't spike our bg, but some can't. Here is a link to a list of veggies and their glycemic index rating.

I call my aunt who is a school nurse now and has to go to classes for D every year
I don't know whether or not your doctor has sent your husband to a dietitian yet, but if not, you are in for more of the same that you got from your aunt. Doctors and dietitians only know what they are taught, and unfortunately, they are taught what the American Diabetic Association (ADA) determines should be taught. Many of us started out trying to follow our dietitian's advice and found out there was no way to control our bg when eating that many carbs.

What there is fat that is Healthy?
When you eat a normal (high carb) diet, your body burns carbs for energy, but when you eat low carb, it forces your body to burn fat for energy. That is why we eat high fat when eating low carb. Our bodies then burn not only the fat we eat, but also some of the fat that our body has stored. The result is not only can we get good control of our bg, but because we are burning stored fat, over time our cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL and LDL fall into line, and as an added bonus, because our body is burning stored fat, we can often lose weight without even trying.

Your best course of action is to continue to do what you are doing, then you can show your aunt in your husband's future blood work that not only is his A1c going down, but his lipids are also falling in line. My husband had been on high blood pressure medicine for quite a while, but LCHF has lowered his blood pressure into the normal range, and he was able to get off of his BP meds. LCHF is a very healthy way to eat.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Donella said:
Thanks Caroline I will check out that book right now. I jumped in this right away changing his diet from the very first day but not seeing the results I thought I would. His sugar reading is a lil better but I want normal range ASAP. He still is not doing the exercise thing and it would probably help if he would. I jumped on the exercise bike right before bed in hopes he would follow suit...didn't work that way though :( I will keep buggin him til he gets tired of me and starts the exercise lol We have been married 22 years he should know by now I always win :)~

You should just get the Calorie King app on your iPad. It is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
99 Posts
You should just get the Calorie King app on your iPad. It is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes
Yes, I have it too! It is great.

-Lloyd

·
Registered
221 Posts
When we found out 4 weeks ago hubby was Type 2 I jumped online and started researching. One of my first finds was this forum and YouTube cooking and education videos. The biggest thing I get from everywhere is Low Carb. The first thing I do is get almost every carb out of the house and go shopping online for things I have never heard of ( flax seed,almond flour,coconut oil,xanthan gum,erythritol,stevia,ect.) I call my aunt who is a school nurse now and has to go to classes for D every year plus her hubby in an insulin dependent Type2 and tell her what my plan is to help my hubby. The first thing she says is " diabetics need carbs or they can go into a coma state" (what? so I am doing more harm than good) I told her some of the meals I made for him and she asked where are his carbs. I am so confused and trying so hard to get this under control :( What there is fat that is Healthy? What there are vegetables that have carbs? OMG more research...

First of all welcome to Diabetes Forum. I wanted to add to what the others have already said albeit with some changes. One thing I was taught in the beginning was to eat to my meter. In other words, let your husband eat his regular foods with testing before and after he eats that food to see how high he goes. If he say goes up to 180 then you know that next time he needs to eat less of that food or even eliminate that food altogether or find another way to prepare that food so he will not spike so high. It is all a matter of trial and error. Yes this takes time but it is the way to find out what you husband can and cannot eat so he can keep his blood sugars within normal range.
The second thing is that if your husband's numbers are not coming down then it is possible your husband is not type 2 but possibly LADA (type 1.5) which is more like type 1 but slower in development.
The app for calorie king you downloaded is a good app. Also one extra thing I can recommend is to use a digital food scale so you can weigh his food in grams so you know the weight and grams of he food he is eating. A set of measuring cups and measuring spoons helps as well. After a while you will be come expert and eyeing a portion and knowing how many grams are in that portion of food.
The final thing is to remember that each person with diabetes is different. What one person can eat the next may have problems with the same food. For example some have trouble with wheat while another will have problems with rice. I have trouble with corn. We are all different. Diabetes is a disease that is challenging to handle. I do wish your husband the best and you as well. Let your husband know that when he is ready and even before the he is welcome to join us here... We do get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts