The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
why does my doc

Why the heck does my doctor say I can eat whatever I want? When I see you guys on here saying stick to low carb... im confused, I am type one..
Hi,

I was diagnosed type 2 last week and a novice at this but everything Ive read so far and been told by my doc and the forum members clearly all say, you have to cut back almost drastically, and change your whole lifestyle into what you eat and excercise daily. so it is strange coming from your doctor. lots of info too on web and diet.

with type 1, i would imagine you need to do so immediately.

good luck
tish

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
A subtle difference in philosophy.

Can you match your insulin to your carbs, easily? Without gaining weight over time? Fine, then you may eat anything.

Some of us have found that the more carbs, the harder it is to match. Or we match well, but gain weight.

Dr. Richard Bernstein suggests that fewer carbs are easier to manage.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why the heck does my doctor say I can eat whatever I want?
Mine said (and will most likely continue to say) the same thing. Technically, it's true. As long as you have the meds/insulin necessary to offset the carbs and maintain a good blood sugar level and a good A1c, you theoretically *can* eat whatever you want. If you want a bowl of pasta with garlic bread and a Pepsi, with a hot fudge sundae for dessert :eek: :eek: :eek: , you *can*, as long as you take sufficient insulin to enable your body to metabolize all the sugar. And managing the whole process is seriously difficult.

Just because we *can*, though, doesn't mean we *should*. It opens the door to all sorts of bad things, and to most of us, it's really not worth the trouble that inevitably follows.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
minnesotadiabetic

Mine said (and will most likely continue to say) the same thing. Technically, it's true. As long as you have the meds/insulin necessary to offset the carbs and maintain a good blood sugar level and a good A1c, you theoretically *can* eat whatever you want. If you want a bowl of pasta with garlic bread and a Pepsi, with a hot fudge sundae for dessert :eek: :eek: :eek: , you *can*, as long as you take sufficient insulin to enable your body to metabolize all the sugar. And managing the whole process is seriously difficult.

Just because we *can*, though, doesn't mean we *should*. It opens the door to all sorts of bad things, and to most of us, it's really not worth the trouble that inevitably follows.
Well I certainly have learnt something here too. I thought I should just cut drastically. but Im glad now and again we can indulge without going overboard or at least as long as we manage it. thankyou for all that. much appreciated. t

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Minne,

Dr. Bernstein recommends 6g at breakfast, 12 at lunch, and 12 at dinner.

I think it varies a little from person to person; however, I am a vegetarian and still come fairly close -- more like 6 - 15 -15, or so.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Diabetics manage their carbs to get good bgs. I think we all have different bg goals. I want to keep my fasting 100 or below and after meal under 110-115. Since I am only on Metformin if I go high after meals , I stay high way too long and then store extra glycogen in my liver. It is this extra glycogen that can be converted to glucose while I am sleeping. If you can manage your bgs and keep your bg stable while eating anything you want , that is great. Many of us can't though.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Many type ones can and do eat whatever they want. I certainly do. The thing that is different is that type 1's don't have the metabolic issues that type 2's have. We just don't have any insulin being produced on board so we need to import it. Although it is not the same you can get pretty close if it the timing and the mount is correct. Practice makes perfect truly does apply here.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
137 Posts
Many type ones can and do eat whatever they want. I certainly do. The thing that is different is that type 1's don't have the metabolic issues that type 2's have. We just don't have any insulin being produced on board so we need to import it. Although it is not the same you can get pretty close if it the timing and the mount is correct. Practice makes perfect truly does apply here.
Some Type 1 diabetics have the additional consideration of insulin resistance, much like T2s:

Type 1 Diabetics Can Get 'Double Diabetes' From Insulin Resistance, Says University Of Pittsburgh

Note I said some. :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Why the heck does my doctor say I can eat whatever I want? When I see you guys on here saying stick to low carb... im confused, I am type one..
Because your doctor, like most doctors, is misinformed and under-educated in diabetes management.

I can assure you that in medical school doctors receive roughly 2 weeks of training in nutrition. Also as a sad note, diabetes management, especially Type 2, is not a very important part of the average medical school's curriculum.

If you can read a research paper, this will scare you about how little your doctor may know...
“When I graduated from residency here, I knew much more about how to ventilate a patient on a machine than how to control somebody’s blood sugar and that’s a problem,” said Dr. Stephen Sisson, who led the study. “The average resident doesn’t know what the goal for normal fasting blood sugar should be. If you don’t know what it has to be, how are you going to guide your diabetes management with patients?”
The literature they get in their offices regarding diabetes treatment is from pharmaceutical companies, so you can't expect much from a regular family physician.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can eat pretty much what I want and keep my numbers in check with *more* insulin the problem though is the weight gain. I've found my body is very unforgiving in that regard.
It says "suuuure, you can have those sweets and starches but we're going to tack 5 lbs. onto your butt".
The 5 becomes 10 and so on.
Unfortunately there's more to the equation than just keeping your blood glucose numbers low.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can eat pretty much what I want and keep my numbers in check with *more* insulin the problem though is the weight gain. I've found my body is very unforgiving in that regard.
It says "suuuure, you can have those sweets and starches but we're going to tack 5 lbs. onto your butt".
The 5 becomes 10 and so on.
Unfortunately there's more to the equation than just keeping your blood glucose numbers low.
I just wanted to add here.....by watching what I eat I don't have to take as much insulin. The extra insulin also adds to the weight problem for me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
What you have said here is true for every living human being.
All Dodd that we eat that is not used to fuel or bodies is stored as fat to be used as a reserve. So in that respect you are no different than anyone else. You need to eat less to keep from gaining weight. The less you eat the less insulin you need.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I am Type 2 on insulin, and my greatest fear with going back to using insulin was the weight gain. I had been on a basal insulin only few years ago and gained over 50 lbs. with it, and was not eating enough "bad" food to account for that kind of gain. I quit the insulin because honestly my numbers just were not that great even with it, so why take it? I lost the weight and blah, blah, yada, yada, here I am, back on insulin, but the difference is I am on a basal and bolus that is helping IMMENSELY and eating LC/HF (which I knew nothing about prior to August of this year) and initially gained about 8 lbs from starting back on insulin, but have already lost 4-5 lbs. of that gain by controlling my insulin/carb amounts. I still have some highs, but I know this doesn't happen overnight either. Every week I seem to get better at how much insulin to how much carb, and I'm still learning what foods spike me and what foods are safe for me. Being a Type 1, just because you can eat whatever you want because you need to use insulin doesn't mean you should live by that philosophy. You will gain weight if you choose to follow this lifestyle. Like others have said, the less carbs you eat, the less insulin you will need. This is, IMHO, the ultimate goal (actually ultimate goal would be to be able to get off insulin, but I know Type 1's will never have that option). Good Luck with figuring it all out, but I guarantee you will not regret livin la vida low carb!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too find the less carbs I eat the less insulin I have to use obviously, and the better my blood sugars are. My nurse educator told me to be careful about all the protein that usually gets added with a low carb diet, because of the protein going through the kidneys.
Everything has to be balanced. Although finding the balance that works for any ones particular body is the tricky part :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What the nurse educator can't tell you is that you can increase the fat in your diet to maintain good BG, and skirt the protein issue.There is much evidence that the low-carb/high-fat approach heads off many many of the problems encountered with the standard ADA diet, which most medical professionals seem obligated to prescribe.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Also what the Nurse educator perhaps doesn't know is that some people on insulin find their control is better if they bolus for a portion of the protein and the fat they eat in addition to the carbohydrates.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was also told I could eat anything, but it could only be so many carbs. If I had to totally give up the idea of never again having a taste of low fat chocolate ice cream, it would have been too hard. I know I can have 1/2 cup and that is enough for me to eat. I also have it for a treat every now and then.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts