The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started monitoring my glucose (a1c 6.6)

Over the last few weeks my morning fasting glucose is 109.

Twice I cheated on the diet and ate what I shouldn't have.
(large seafood dinner and a pasta & meatballs)
2 hours later the glucose was very high.

But the next morning, bith times, my fasting glucose was under 100.

Does this make sense ?

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
It can.

First, though some people will contest the designation "pre-diabetic", it indicates your insulin response is impaired and somewhat insufficient, but not gone. It's taking longer for your body to "right the boat", if you will, but it still can do it. Fasting blood glucose also is one of the last numbers to go up and go down, so it's a useful long-term indicator of health, but of limited usefulness in determining the effect of certain foods on your body.

Other factors may be involved, too, from your activity level after those meals (more effort burns up more carbs), to the precision of your meter (meters can be off by 10-15% and still be considered accurate legally; that percentage alone more than covers the 9-point difference you've seen).

Bottom line is that those meals didn't seem to hurt you too badly now. Going low-carb most of the time is helpful because your body isn't constantly under fire to produce what insulin it can. But you may find that your body is increasingly unable to respond to high-carb meals without leaving your blood glucose at higher and higher levels, even hours after eating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts