The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, if this is in the wrong thread. I posted about this on Monday, and still no one had answered my question.

A little update to this post...my eyesight is back normal!! I've lost more weight, down to 94 and I cried my eyeballs out at the doctors office. We both thinking alike believe that the Metformin was causing a havic on my stomach. I was having watery diarrhea 4-5 times a morn before I could finish my one and only mug of coffee. I was reduced from the 5 Metformins a day to 2 (1 morn/1 night) and put on Glipizide 5mg (1/2 morn/1/2 night). Well, I'm back to normal routines on the commode. But, I still need to gain some weight back...I hear eat more protein. Everything dealing with diabetes is to lose weight why not the other way around for some people. My bgl has been averaging 120 for 30 day reading, and the last 14 day average was 115. I've had only 2 readings in the 80's and they scared me...I can feel the "feeling" coming on so I stop everything and eat right then and there. Normally it's the wait of 2 hours to test before supper when this happened.

The doctor told me to carry a jar of peanut butter with me and to eat 2 tsps at least every 2 hours. I'm on a 45-47 carb grams for BLS and 15-17 for snacks.

Appt for A1C Thurs, so wish me luck. If you know of any "fattening" foods that will help me gain some weight, let me know please.

I've always been "petite" more or less a "skinny mini". I've over the years had eaten or drank products to gain weight. After averaging 108-110 for almost 2 years, I was kinda happy, drinking Boost every morn for breakfast or even the Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Now, I'm down to 94 (I weigh 95-100 30+ years ago) and like my husband said "you're too skinny, you look like a Holocaust survivor". :eek: Well, I'm embarrassed to be seen like this.

I will take any suggestions you have to offer that will help me gain my lost weight back.

Thanks!

MimiMc

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Not sure re: gaining weight (never a problem here!), but ... have you had testing for GAD-65 antibodies and C-peptide, to rule out Type 1?

There are slender Type 2's, I do not want to add to the mythology -- but you should probably rule out beta cell failure.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Intially with a diabetic the weight loss is from higer bgs. How are your bgs now? When the bgs are high and you don't produce enough insulin , it is very hard to push the nutrients into the cells for energy. I am surprised they didn't put you on insulin right away. That would probably be the best way to start adding weight. There is contraversy with metformin is you weigh under a cetain amount because it does promote weight loss. For someone who is already underweight it is probably not the best medication. Also because you have such severe side effects I would consider switching to another drug.

As far as gaing weight, how much fat do you eat a day. I was on the maximum amount of metformin and lost too much weight for me. I got down to 112 and looked like a skeleton. I added significant fat at every meal and increased my carbs a little. I gained about 6 pounds and look much better at 118. Also drinking whey protein shakes and eating fattier meats like beef will help you add weight. I also make tons of low carb/ high fat baked goods.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We've mentioned this before, Mimi . . . your diagnosis needs to be confirmed by a coupla more tests, as mentioned by jwags & me both, in your introductory thread. For many type 2 diabetics, it IS all about losing weight, but you don't fit the profile, which is why we think perhaps you AREN'T type 2.

Start rattling cages with your medical team & get these tests done. And all I can suggest to arrest the weight loss is to increase the fats in your diet. Fats are a diabetic's best friend - they provide calories, but don't raise blood sugar!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've mentioned this before, Mimi . . . your diagnosis needs to be confirmed by a coupla more tests, as mentioned by jwags & me both, in your introductory thread. For many type 2 diabetics, it IS all about losing weight, but you don't fit the profile, which is why we think perhaps you AREN'T type 2.

Start rattling cages with your medical team & get these tests done. And all I can suggest to arrest the weight loss is to increase the fats in your diet. Fats are a diabetic's best friend - they provide calories, but don't raise blood sugar!
My monthly average for March was 120; average so far for April is 115. My PCP says I'm doing excellent considering the 347 in Jan. I asked him about what y'all posted, in fact I printed out the posts and he read them. He never heard of Gad-65 antibodies test nor the C-peptide and he never has anyone started out on insulin unless they were in worst shape than what I was (petite & A1C of 347). But, he said I rattled his cage and he suggested for me to get a 2nd opinion with an Endo, that is if I wanted to. I told him that I was so upset about what I had read here, before heading to his office I had to take a Xanax. He had already warned me before to quit reading all the medical stuff on the computer and believing that I have the symptoms of this and the symptoms of that, insisting I get tested for it. My husband was with me at the visit today, and he said the same thing.

I had my A1C done today, but like he said it's not been 3 months yet. But, he knows by the looks of my readings I will be at least in the 9's or lower. BTW, I weighed in at 96.8.

He also told me that the Endo is normally booked up so it may take 2 wks to a month before I could get an appointment.

I'm going to stay here and kinda follow some of the good advice, but I'm not going to let some things upset me...it's not worth it.

MimiMc

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Congratulations on your numbers coming down.

I'm sorry you were so upset going to your physician. Perhaps if you had posted about your upset someone would have been able to clarify to ease your mind.

I was dx'ed just recently and referred to an endocrinologist. He did blood tests on the first visit and a c-peptide was one of them. It's a very common test, and he gave it to me because my blood sugar had been high and he wanted to see how much insulin my pancreas was producing, or that it was producing. It was sound medicine. Otherwise he couldn't have been certain I was indeed a Type 2 diabetic.

There was nothing dire regardless the outcome, simply a matter of needing to know which I was and get an accurate diagnosis so I could have proper treatment.

But yes, I agree with you that it's never a good idea to get upset by suggestions or input from others. There will be some that's useful and valid for you and some that isn't - and all that means is that you have a wealth of first-hand experience to draw on and do further research on.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My monthly average for March was 120; average so far for April is 115. My PCP says I'm doing excellent considering the 347 in Jan. I asked him about what y'all posted, in fact I printed out the posts and he read them. He never heard of Gad-65 antibodies test nor the C-peptide and he never has anyone started out on insulin unless they were in worst shape than what I was (petite & A1C of 347). But, he said I rattled his cage and he suggested for me to get a 2nd opinion with an Endo, that is if I wanted to. I told him that I was so upset about what I had read here, before heading to his office I had to take a Xanax. He had already warned me before to quit reading all the medical stuff on the computer and believing that I have the symptoms of this and the symptoms of that, insisting I get tested for it. My husband was with me at the visit today, and he said the same thing.

I had my A1C done today, but like he said it's not been 3 months yet. But, he knows by the looks of my readings I will be at least in the 9's or lower. BTW, I weighed in at 96.8.

He also told me that the Endo is normally booked up so it may take 2 wks to a month before I could get an appointment.

I'm going to stay here and kinda follow some of the good advice, but I'm not going to let some things upset me...it's not worth it.

MimiMc
MimiMc, that is good that you don't let what you read on here upset you. You kinda have to read what will be beneficial to you. Well, it might be a good idea for you to see an endo. Just to get your type, this will not change your eating habits. I am glad that you plan on sticking around, there is so much information on here.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Glad to hear your doc will make the referral to an endo! Take it! ;) And congrats on gaining a coupla pounds! :D

As good as our primary doctors can be, they can't keep up with everything, and it's good that yours could admit not even knowing about the c-peptide & GAD tests. I truly hope you will see the endo and have these tests done. It will put everyone's mind at ease. Stress alone can raise our BGL, so good if you can keep calm about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts