The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a diabetic for 16 years now, but still find myself asking: "Why me?" :eek:

Has anybody else been dealing with this nagging question more than once in a while?

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I've been a diabetic for 16 years now, but still find myself asking: "Why me?" :eek:

Has anybody else been dealing with this nagging question more than once in a while?

Pastor Paul
Sure...but i think that about more than being diabetic. I probably think it more about other stuff really. I guess its a natural thing to wonder about such hardships. Maybe since I have been diabetic for much of my life I don't really think of a time that I wasn't.

O

·
0 Posts
yeah I do ask myself that question too from time to time. I friend just told me it's called "character building"... she's living with crohns. I think I'm asking it more lately after being diagnosed with another chronic disease... :eek:
It's such a balancing act really. The thing I'm finding annoying is that I feel like my life is revolving around my health issues right now... and that shouldn't be the case. I'm on some insane rollercoaster ride or something. I need to get off it.
I tell others who say they're in good health... "great, you're blessed". Well I'm blessed too... just have to overlook the body malfunctioning bit. lol.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I feel for your friend. My husband had Chrohn's so bad that 15 years ago they were forced to surgically remove his entire large intestine. It was completely ulcerated. Now he deals daily with the issues that having an ilieostomy brings to his life. Funny thing...when I first went on the insulin pump, I loved the control it gave me but I did feel sort of unattractive I guess having this thing connected to me all the time (total vanity I know). When I told my hubby that I felt less attractive to him because of it he just pointed to his ilieostomy and looked at me and said...Seriously??? I could see his point and realized then that no matter how bad I thought my situation was...there are people living with situations that are just as bad if not worse than mine.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Why NOT me?

Maybe I'm missing some vital psychological "cog", but this is a question that doesn't occur to me - at least not in this way. Of course there are a few things I might change in my life, but if you gave me the option of living closer to my kids or being non-diabetic, I'd have to choose closer to my kids. (Actually, I'd choose to have all 15 kids move in with us! Then I could do all the cookin' & they could do the cleanin'! ;))

But remembering back as far as my teen years anyhow, I know I always considered obstacles/hardships as something I could overcome - knowing that there's nothing new under the sun, there's nothing special about me, that somebody somewhere has struggled & prevailed in whatever battle I'm confronted with at the moment.

I agree with Mep: I'm blessed too ... just have to overlook the body malfunctioning bit. :D :D :D

O

·
0 Posts
Maybe I'm missing some vital psychological "cog", but this is a question that doesn't occur to me - at least not in this way. Of course there are a few things I might change in my life, but if you gave me the option of living closer to my kids or being non-diabetic, I'd have to choose closer to my kids. (Actually, I'd choose to have all 15 kids move in with us! Then I could do all the cookin' & they could do the cleanin'! ;))
that's a lovely desire to have Shanny :D Kids are a big blessing!
In my family, kids are rare. In fact we only have 1 of them right now (that we all see)... my nephew, who is almost 14 months old and he is the sweetest lil fella... and quite the little charmer. He gets lots of cuddles and kisses from me and he has these big brown eyes and the cutest smile that just melts my heart. lol. He's talking a little and almost at stage of walking anytime now.

O

·
0 Posts
I feel for your friend. My husband had Chrohn's so bad that 15 years ago they were forced to surgically remove his entire large intestine. It was completely ulcerated. Now he deals daily with the issues that having an ilieostomy brings to his life. Funny thing...when I first went on the insulin pump, I loved the control it gave me but I did feel sort of unattractive I guess having this thing connected to me all the time (total vanity I know). When I told my hubby that I felt less attractive to him because of it he just pointed to his ilieostomy and looked at me and said...Seriously??? I could see his point and realized then that no matter how bad I thought my situation was...there are people living with situations that are just as bad if not worse than mine.
now that's putting it in perspective isn't it! lol.
My friend isn't at that stage... thankfully. She's currently managing using anti-inflammitories rather than the steroids. Although she has had to use steroids before and her hair tends to fall out when she takes it... plus puts on weight. She's had some embarrassing moments with it... I had no idea it got so bad!
I also have a colleague who has it also... and I just found out they also have functional dyspepsia (like myself) on top of it... must be very painful... ouch!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I never doubted it would happen someday... I think I kept ignoring it and hoped it wouldn't though.

Most of my family is diabetic on BOTH sides of the tree. My Dad's side of the family has ridiculous amounts of heart disease. My Father has had three MI's (Heart Attacks) and this year had his fourth heart surgery. Several male members of my family have died prior to age 50 from heart disease.

I'm a genetic time bomb, which is why I take it TOO seriously at times.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is What I was Getting At

I don't really ask the why me. I do get very tired of the whole situation at times though.
You hit the nail on the head with your answer. That is how I feel so frustrated at times, and if it was not for my faith, and wife, I'd probably quit trying to stay ahead of the inevitable. This disease has way to many twist and turns that simply put, catch up with me and tire me out at times. :boom:

I'm in a valley right now, and I know I'll get out, just how long and when, is yet to be determined!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here's a rope brother. Hold on and we'll help pull you out.

You hit the nail on the head with your answer. That is how I feel so frustrated at times, and if it was not for my faith, and wife, I'd probably quit trying to stay ahead of the inevitable. This disease has way to many twist and turns that simply put, catch up with me and tire me out at times. :boom:

I'm in a valley right now, and I know I'll get out, just how long and when, is yet to be determined!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

Here's a rope brother. Hold on and we'll help pull you out.
Like they say, tomorrow is another day, and my sun came up today, and with that I'm feeling more like the fighter I've been in the past. I appreciate all the love and concern sent my way on this forum, it was helpful, and the cyber rope did the trick.

Pastor Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts