The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning: read at your own risk; may cause DKA

For giggles I downloaded a sample for a diabetic cookbook to my Kindle, ironically titled _Take Time to Care Diabetes Recipes_ by S. Mills, who seems to throw together zillions of ebooks on various subjects.

So ingredients for the Pina Colada Cream Pie are:

1/2 cup pineapple juice
4 oz crushed pineapple, drained
8 oz sweetened condensed milk
3 cups whipped topping
4 oz cream cheese
2 9-in chocolate cookie pie crusts
4 oz shredded coconut

Hey S. Mills - I have a recipe for you: dissolve 2 cups sugar in 1/2 cup apple juice, inject with syringe.

You can't make this stuff up.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Aiiiiii-yeeee! Where'd that insulin kit run off to?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So y'think adding cream cheese to it makes it diabetic-friendly? That's the only thing there that I could eat . . . :confused: Incredible!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You can't make this stuff up.

It's always been fun to know that the truth is WAY wackier than fiction...

Some people MIGHT be OK with pineapple juice and pineapple ... but Sweetened condensed milk??? Cookie pie crusts??? OMG.

Reminds me of seeing the big "FAT-FREE!" label on a bag of ... JELLY BEANS at WalMart... had to laugh at that, too... I told my wife that day the sugar refiners associations should start labeling refined sugar as "Fat Free" ...

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
718 Posts
My parents gave me a diabetic cookbook once... it got donated. Nothing in there even remotely suitable for a diabetic, unless it was the recipe for how to grill a steak. LOL

·
Registered
460 Posts
So y'think adding cream cheese to it makes it diabetic-friendly? That's the only thing there that I could eat . . . :confused: Incredible!
It might do but they'd probably recommend low-fat cream cheese :rolleyes:

So long as fat is still the enemy, we can expect this nonsense to continue.

Reactions: foxl and Shanny

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
My Bg level just rose from reading that recipe! I have many "diabetic" recipe books with similar recipes.

Here's a similar recipe from "Delicious Desserts When You Have Diabetes"

4 98% fat-free 8-inch flour tortillas
Butter-flavored vegetable oil cooking spray
2tbsp Flaked sweetened coconut, toasted without fat
1/2 cup Block-style fat-free cream cheese
1/4 cup 100%-fruit strawberry spread
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 cup Fresh ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup Halved seedless green grapes
1/2 cupFresh ripe blueberries

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Oooooooohhhhh, where is that 700u syringe when I need it???

I don't do diabetes cookbooks, but my low-carb collection is growing.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reminds me of seeing the big "FAT-FREE!" label on a bag of ... JELLY BEANS at WalMart... had to laugh at that, too...
<hanging head sheepishly> This sort of marketing worked on me. Jellybeans were my go-to sweet for that very reason - no fat. I bought huge containers of Jelly Belly's at Costco - seriously. I also ate the Entenmann's fat-free danish twists when they made them, the fat-free version of this: Raspberry Danish Twist . They were way gooier than the pic shows, awesome for my fat-restricted WOE :rolleyes:

All I cared about was avoiding fat, eating veggies and fruit, and keeping calories as in check as possible. The last few years I sorta gave up on the calorie-in-check thing though as my hunger and cravings got a tad (pffft!) out of control.

·
Registered
718 Posts
<hanging head sheepishly> This sort of marketing worked on me. Jellybeans were my go-to sweet for that very reason - no fat. I bought huge containers of Jelly Belly's at Costco - seriously.
Worked on my mom too... she used to buy me bags of gummy bears when I was growing up because they were fat free... :eek:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was worried that moon had paid money for that product. I reread the post carefully and it was nice that it was just a downloaded sample.

I think you can leave comments about any of the Kindle books. Maybe copy and paste a few from this topic into the review section for it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My first year of diabetes before I learned to Eat to my meter, I made the mistake of buying way too many diabetic friendly cookbooks. When I read them I thought well this won't be too bad I can still have all these great desserts. I even subscribed to the magazine Diabetic Living. The pictures on each month's cover are to die for. I couldn't figure out why my fasting wouldn't go down. I was eating the ADA diet and keeping my bgs under 180 or so after meals. That is when I discovered these cookbooks and magazines were designed to kill us all. I discovered my old Low Carb cookbooks were so much better and actually kept my bg within a semi normal range most times. The one warning to all newbies should be avoid anything with the word "Diabetic" in the title. I'm not sure if these recipes are for people on Insulin and they can cover all these carbs or what but the majority of us could never handle that many carbs. The other trick they do is to make the portion size so small to make it appear like it is under 30 carbs a serving. Many of the Cake Recipes have 16 servings.

Reactions: ShottleBop

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
My first year of diabetes before I learned to Eat to my meter, I made the mistake of buying way too many diabetic friendly cookbooks. When I read them I thought well this won't be too bad I can still have all these great desserts. I even subscribed to the magazine Diabetic Living. The pictures on each month's cover are to die for. I couldn't figure out why my fasting wouldn't go down. I was eating the ADA diet and keeping my bgs under 180 or so after meals. That is when I discovered these cookbooks and magazines were designed to kill us all. I discovered my old Low Carb cookbooks were so much better and actually kept my bg within a semi normal range most times. The one warning to all newbies should be avoid anything with the word "Diabetic" in the title. I'm not sure if these recipes are for people on Insulin and they can cover all these carbs or what but the majority of us could never handle that many carbs. The other trick they do is to make the portion size so small to make it appear like it is under 30 carbs a serving. Many of the Cake Recipes have 16 servings.
Yup. And the ingredients, especially sweeteners, tend to be expensive. That's fine, I've bought all that stuff. But my goal is to avoid spikes.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Glad that I just eat whatever I feel like eating. Always have and always will.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Glad that I just eat whatever I feel like eating. Always have and always will.
Glad you can, too!

I can't, nor can lots of others. But knowing some diabetics can does give me some hope.

·
Registered
633 Posts
When you have to take insulin for whatever you eat why not eat what you like.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
When you have to take insulin for whatever you eat why not eat what you like.
I have high insulin resistance plus high carb intolerance (current insulin-carb ratio 1:4), and am overweight -- not morbidly so, but stubbornly so. I try to use as little insulin as possible, on a very low-carb diet, so I can lose the weight -- or at least keep from ballooning -- and hopefully keep the resistance from getting worse.

When I try to branch out, my BGLs are unpredictable, at best.

I think the carb issue may be a bit tougher for Type 2s in general, and for Type1s with insulin resistance. (Finally confirmed that I really am a Type 2. Most likely.)

Reactions: fgummett

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yep and my insulin to carb ratio is also 1:4 but I have to take steroids to stay alive. Makes a huge impact on insulin usage and weight gain.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts