The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
There are many people that live close to the poverty level in this country that have health problems....increasingly diabetes. Diabetes is not selective as to who it attacks. While a bad diet can certainly exacerbate the condition, genetics plays a large role in both types. Type 1 will be diabetic no matter what. I think the same is true for many Type 2's. The tendency for insulin resistance is either there....or it isnt. Not all overweight people are Type 2 diabetics. Not all Type 2 diabetics are over weight. I am Type 2 and was diagnosed when I was only 16. I was young, active and fit.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Maybe

Diabetes used to be 100% fatal. Then at the turn of the century they started to learn about it, and people not only survived but reproduced passing on the bad genes.

Used to be diabetes usually skipped a generation then as more people passed on the genes...

·
Registered
148 Posts
There may even be other links besides diet and genetics that are still to be discovered as to why type 2 diabetes is on the rise.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
this forum to share our experiences right? be valid only for the legitimate user with an experience right?
Yes, we share experiences with other and support each other as much as possible :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
So...are you diabetic? How do you manage from day to day?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do not believe that diabetes is more prominent in the wealthy. Most aboriginal communities are far from wealthy (except perhaps in wisdom), but yet diabetes is very prevalent there.

Although I do agree that diabetes is generally more prevalent throughout all levels of society today I believe that this is not only due to a combination of poor eating habits such as overindulgence and overprocessing by manufacturers, but also simply that with current medical advances and the spread of information about diabetes it is simply more readily diagnosed than ever before.

Diabetes has always been here, as with many other...maybe even all other illnesses, it just never had a name and many people lived and died never having heard of it or knowing they had it. Perhaps if it were as familiar 75 years ago as it is today my great grandfather would have lived a long and happy life as my great grandmother does still at 105 years old.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not wanting to get myself banned for saying this, but I have actually read about sugar as a treatment for diabetes before, but it could be very easily misinterpreted that it is as simple as using the sugar you buy in your local grocery store. If I recall correctly what I had read, this misconception is simply not the case. the treatment refers to pure unrefined unprocessed sugar or a specific type of sugar that is not readily available or accessible in all parts of the world.

I'm sure if someones curiosity were piqued enough they could find more valid research about it on the internet, but they could also do themselves great harm by following information that is fabricated. I believe the term "snake oil" should be close to mind should anyone look into it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts