The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still experimenting and learning how to "eat to my meter". Tonight I had a lollipop at 9pm. By 10pm, my BG had gone to 8.9. At 11:30pm it was 4.7, one of my lowest readings! I have been on Metformin for 2 weeks now, did that kick in? Anyone have an explanation? I didn't exercise or eat anything else. I did drink a glass of Nestea Splenda-sweetened drink at about 9pm as well.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Sure, you kicked yourself in the pancreas with the lollipop. It can still produce insulin and so it did so. That's the very rollercoaster you have been on and need to get off. Halloween's over, but I hope you can find some other place to LOSE those lillipops and everything else like them!

For us: Sugar = Kryptonite.

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's called reactive hypoglycemia. You eat something that sends your blood sugar soaring, and then your ailing pancreas helps out as best it can but erratically, & sends you crashing. Listen to Salim - ditch the lollipops & all the rest of their sugar & starch relatives.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am still experimenting and learning how to "eat to my meter". Tonight I had a lollipop at 9pm. By 10pm, my BG had gone to 8.9. At 11:30pm it was 4.7, one of my lowest readings! I have been on Metformin for 2 weeks now, did that kick in? Anyone have an explanation? I didn't exercise or eat anything else. I did drink a glass of Nestea Splenda-sweetened drink at about 9pm as well.
Lollipops hit the bloodstream pretty fast. For me such things often impact the numbers most greatly at the 1/2 hour mark where I'd otherwise check the 1 and 2 hour marks. If your bg was 8.9 at the 1 hour mark there's a good chance it was much higher at the 1/2 hour mark.

And yes, as others said, this is a classic example of pancreas pounding reactive hypoglycemia. Not sure how long we can keep that up.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You have got some good explanations. Metformin will make you more sensitive to your own insulin but it doesn't really allow us to eat sweets and carbs without a spike. When you eat carbs, especially fast acting ones like lolliepops our bgs spike quite high initially. In response our pancreas has to work overtime producing insulin. All the insulin kicks in at onces sending you crashing. Then usually your liver will kick in as you fall and add even more glucose sending you on a bg roller coaster. As diabetics there are better snacks to choose to avoid bg swings. Metformin can take a few weeks to kick to build up . But it tends to work best when we eat lower carb and exercise.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

No worries about that kind of eating continuing, I had to go out and buy a lollipop specifically for this. Maybe it was part of the "denial" phase for me... does sugar really do that to me? YES. I feel silly now.

Since it was an experiment, I was testing my blood every 15 minutes from when I started eating it, so that was definitely my peak.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tests like that kill people dont want that to happen be very carefull
I'm prediabetic and only taking Metformin, not on insulin, so the chances of me dying from eating a candy this week aren't that much more than me dying from eating a candy a month ago... still not a good idea for long term health of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts