The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,
Im still waiting for my bloods to confirm if im type 2 or not , can someone tell me please , is it natural to feel weak and heavy legged even when my bloods are pretty much ok ????
Also i have brown bread today And it pushed my bloods upto 154 within ten minutes of eating it , which made me feel very weak and lightheaded , can brown bread push up bloods and is it normal to feel that bad at that bg level ???

·
Registered
344 Posts
Everybody is different but you would be surprised at what can raise BS. Even a packet of Equal Sugar Substitute can in some people. Caffeine can in some people.

Explain to me; waiting for your bloods to determine if you are type 2 or not? Have you gone to a doctor and your just waiting for the results? When I was diagnosed I was told within twenty minutes of my blood test.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hard to tell . . . I haven't experienced weakness like that . . . but it's possible. And anything made with grain can and often does raise our bloods.

O

·
0 Posts
hi Jo... the most common symptoms of hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) is generally feeling very hungry or thirsty, urinating alot, blurred vision, fatigue, weight loss. There are other symptoms less common such as dry or itchy skin, dry mouth, tingling in feet, recurrent infections, poor wound healing.... even stupor and coma. From what you are describing it sounds more like hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) symptoms which generally is shakiness/anxiety, sweating, palpitations, clamminess, even pins & needles. But you get a lot of other symptoms and one of them is weakness. If you look it up on the net you will find better description than what I'm trying to tell you. But I guess what I'm thinking is perhaps your BGLs are fluctuating? eg. dropping quite low and then suddenly rising... by the time you test you may be actually coming out of a hypo... possibly having the "liver dump" happening (this is your body responding to the low). But because you are new to all this.... your body may be used to functioning on high BGLs and you may be dropping to a level your body isn't tolerating (not necessarily low as such). Too low is usually <4 (<72)... but I'm one of those people where I can have a hypo at <4.5... so I need to be careful to keep BGL above 4.5 to be safe. FYI, brown bread is actually a high GI carb which means it releases sugar into your blood quickly and then you get a spike and then a sudden drop in your BGL. This could be what is making your feel unwell too. Try as much as possible to stick to low GI carbs which are generally wholegrain natural foods. Eg. if eating bread get 'wholegrain' and not 'wholemeal'. Low GI carbs basically release sugar in your blood slowly over a longer period of time so you don't get the BGL spikes and sudden drops. That's why endos advise that if having a hypo to first take a quick acting carb (high GI.. usually pure sugar), and then a low GI carb (eg. glass of milk, museli bar, wholegrain bread/crackers, apples or other low GI fruits, etc) 15 mins later to keep you going if you're not due a meal as yet. To give you an idea I always carry jelly baby type lollies and museli bars in my handbag at all times.... but I'm on insulin. You may not be prone to hypos right now? Use your glucometer regularly throughout the day to get an idea what your BGLs are doing. I hope this helps a little. :dance:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks mep , yes i know about hypos , but wot is puzzling me is that before i ate i checked bloods and they were 93.6, after eating i started to feel heavy legged i checked bloods with gloucometer and they were reading 120.6 . And 30min later they were 158.4 , so they were climbing very fast after eating , so that led me to think that it was a hyper , but were is the weakness coming from with hyper is that normal ???
Or was 93 to low before eating as i had not eaten in 4 hours without snack , sorry for seeming so stupid but im new to this and still learning .

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
93 isn't too low to be eating, Jo, it's a very good reading. I don't know if there's any accounting for the weak heavy-legged feeling you experienced, but if it persists, do mention it to your doctor. Some people are symptomatic when their bloods change rapidly, which is why Mep advises against the high GI/high carb foods which can be more volatile.

There are absolutely no "stupid" questions . . . please ask anything you want - that's why we're here for you!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi Joregan,

Shanny is right, there is no stupid question. If there is, we have all asked a lot of them.

I am concerned about your heavy leggedness. You definetly need to see your doctor about that. It might not have anything to do with your diabetes.

I am on the GI index diet. You can pick up a book at your library or local book store. I got mine from Borders. It is an excellent diet.

When I feel weak, it is because I have strayed a little bit from my diet. To high or too low BG readings can cause it. I hope I have helped you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts