The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had always assumed it's only fair :) but just saw a study that is a bit of a shock. Seems like it's because men have higher smoking and drinking rates :eek:

Smoking linked to earlier male deaths

I do know 2 men who have died of lung cancer in the last couple of years. Both were long time smokers. I hadn't even thought of the gender thing until this article.

Do you happen to know of any smokers dying of lung cancer, and which way did they dress? (I wanted to throw a smilie in right there, but maybe it doesn't go well with dying.)

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have known 2 smokers that died of lung cancer - both were men.

Be careful of these types of smoking statistics. They lump everyone who dies of certain causes as a smoking death and I know for a fact it's not always true. My grandmother died of emphysema - she never smoked, never worked outside the home, no one in her home ever smoked. She had an allergy to smoke and totally avoided it her whole life. She is classified as a smoke related death. Guess again.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't tell you how disillusioning this was to me. I had always thought it was because of police work, dangerous machinery, military service, the fist fights behind the bar, the gun fights in the kitchen, etc.

And here it's just because their dum buddies are smoking and they wanna look like them. (sob)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts