The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on here for "legs hurt," and nothing came back. So, I wanted to ask everyone what ya'll think.
My wife has been a type1 since the age of 3. Her legs and feet have hurt on and off in the past, but have gotten "steady" here lately. Now we look for days where she DOESNT hurt. She went to the dr. a few weeks ago for an ultrasound on her thighs (where it hurts the most), and they told her that her legs are heavily calcified, but not "dangerous" yet.
Although I am sure this is most likely the problem, when her thighs hurt, her quadriceps tighten up and feel like charlie horses.
Does this muscle problem sound like it can be caused by the lack of ciculation in her legs? I know her legs are always pretty warm, so they ARE getting good circulation. (I know its not the best circulation, but it's getting there.)
Does anyone have any insight to this? Anything that might make her legs feel a little better?
Also, I just read somewhere that someone that drinks a lot of sodas can have acidic blood, causing peripheral pain like this. She drinks DIET Coke a LOT. I would say about a 2-liter a day. Pretty much has done that her whole life. Think there may be anything linked to this as well?
Thanks a lot ya'll, in advance!

Sean

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Pain in her legs and feet could come from almost anything. With diabetics the first thing that comes to mind is the beginning of neuropathy. How is her bg control and HbA1c? Higher bgs over time may lead to nerve damage that leads to neuropathy. Even pre diabetics sometime get neuropathy before they even get a D diagnosis. The other thing that causes cramps in muscles is dehydration or lack of essential minerals lke potassium and magnesium. Also is she on any other medication like statins. I had terrible muscle pain last summer and it turned out the statins were dissolving my muscles. Another thing might be the start of Fibromyalgia. A lot of D's seem prone to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She HAS recently been diagnosed with a SEVERE vitamin D deficiency. I'm hoping, in a weird way, that her new meds will clear that up. I know I am new to nursing (currently enrolled in an RN program. Actually getting ready to go to class now, so I hafta hurry! lol), but it seems to ME like if there is a circulation process, it is most likely to cause muscle weakness, not cramping. Again, to ME, it seems that if there is cramping and pain, it is most likely a muscle and /or nerve issue.
Again, I am getting ready to leav, so I cant provide all of the latest test results. I am mainly just trying to get a basic idea of things, you know?
And thank you for respondding so quick!

Sean

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
has your wife seen a neurologist? A test can be given there yo see if she had neuropathy. I used to have that problem. It bothered me most when i was having high blood sugar. After using tighter control for a few months, and having much less high blood sugar, my pain improved so much, and now I don't have the pain at all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Also, I just read somewhere that someone that drinks a lot of sodas can have acidic blood, causing peripheral pain like this. She drinks DIET Coke a LOT. I would say about a 2-liter a day. Pretty much has done that her whole life. Think there may be anything linked to this as well?

Sean

Get her off of the diet soda's. In fact all soda's. There is so many articles out there against the diet soda's and so many articles saying nothing is wrong with the soda's. My opinion is drink water or green tea that I have substituted for my soda's. I still have one for lunch but I cut back on my two for breakfast, my one for morning break, my two afternoon ones, my two dinner ones and my before bedtime one.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I know a young type 1 diabetic In Boston who drinks a case of diet coke each week. She knows it is not good for her, but she says she cannot stop. Is it possible that cola is addictive? I don't think it is, at least not for me. I drink one aluminum can of diet soda each day, but I prefer Mt Dew, fruit flavored soda, or Sprite Zero.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's all, thcri? lol
I guess you came in here and asked for opinions. And you also mentioned the soda and if it could be a problem. My experience is every doctor that I have been dealing with and every dietician have told me to get away from the sodas. There was no reason to laugh in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Easy killer. I meant the amount of sodas that you USED to drink. There's no reason to take offense to everything everyone says. Lighten up man, geez!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Richard...she says she has always drank Diet Coke, and would absolutely HATE to give it up. She has slacked up on it before, and can do it again. If it means being healthier, I don't think she really has any kind of a choice, ya know?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did a search on here for "legs hurt," and nothing came back. So, I wanted to ask everyone what ya'll think.
My wife has been a type1 since the age of 3. Her legs and feet have hurt on and off in the past, but have gotten "steady" here lately. Now we look for days where she DOESNT hurt. She went to the dr. a few weeks ago for an ultrasound on her thighs (where it hurts the most), and they told her that her legs are heavily calcified, but not "dangerous" yet.
Although I am sure this is most likely the problem, when her thighs hurt, her quadriceps tighten up and feel like charlie horses.
Does this muscle problem sound like it can be caused by the lack of ciculation in her legs? I know her legs are always pretty warm, so they ARE getting good circulation. (I know its not the best circulation, but it's getting there.)
Does anyone have any insight to this? Anything that might make her legs feel a little better?

Sean

Sorry to hear about your wife's leg pains. It could be that she is dehydrated without realizing it and losing valuable minerals such as magnesium due to all of the Diet Coke she is drinking. Since she is drinking close to 2 liters a day, you don't want her to stop drinking Diet Coke altogether but to gradually decrease the amount she drinks. If she stops all at once she could end up having rebound symptoms with her body coming off the caffeine, etc. Magnesium and Potassium are really good for preventing leg cramps but before your wife proceeds taking supplements she should have her levels checked and then go from there. If your wife has poor circulation that can also contribute to the problem. For now your wife needs to gradually decrease the amount of Diet Coke she drinks and replace that amount with plain water or even flavored water instead. I think she will find herself starting to feel better and her legs will bother her less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts