The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question I have had to ask, as my Diabetes Nurse told me that if my BS spikes after a meal, I just need to drink several glasses of ice cold water.

This directive from her came about when I called her and asked if I should take another shot of Novolog when my numbers spike after meals. She told me that two or three glasses of ice water would lower the numbers. And while I have found this to work most times, it seemed like a strange response to getting my spike in BS down.

Has anyone else heard of this approach? And if you drink ice water, does it work for you?

Your feedback and comments will be appreciated. Furthermore, any other methods to lower a spike would be appreciated.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :amen:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I dont know about drinking it, but I have noticed if my fingers are cold (like they usually are) and I warm them up to get the blood flowing then the number is higher than if I just let the lancet plunge into my bone to get enough sample and it be a "cold sample". I always wondered what made the heat increase the reading

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That Response in Itself, is INTERESTING

I dont know about drinking it, but I have noticed if my fingers are cold (like they usually are) and I warm them up to get the blood flowing then the number is higher than if I just let the lancet plunge into my bone to get enough sample and it be a "cold sample". I always wondered what made the heat increase the reading
I will have to check that out the next few times I test. I've always washed my hands in warmer water to get the blood vessels closer to the skin, so I didn't have to squeeze the blood up to the surface. :eek:

It would be interesting to see if others have found this to be true, too!

Thanks,

Pastor Paul

G

·
I've heard that too... and I've tried it and I can't say I've really noticed a big difference. Theoritically I think it's supposed to water down your blood or something? I do notice though that my BGLs are higher when I haven't had enough water intake during the day. Last time I had a spike I got our my Apidra... and I was still spiking an hour later. This disease does strange things at times. :confused:
In regard to whether hands are hot or cold... I notice if I have hot hands I have trouble stopping the bleeding. I prefer my hands to be a bit cooler (not too cold). I haven't noticed a difference with BGLs.... although I can't say I've experimented with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts