The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been drinking less, mostly because I don't always feel like a glass of wine, but it is undeniably good for my bs when in moderation.

One of my favorite fast foods bd (before diabetes) was the tofu/eggplant at Panda Express. I was a rice fanatic, so I would get the tofu/eggplant for both my entrees and the rice. Heaven. I've not been in a Panda Express this year until tonight.

Was passing by and could.not.resist - eh, I'm going for it and calling it research.

Got the tofu/eggplant for 1 entree and asked him please to go heavy on the eggplant. He obliged. Got some innocent-looking (though figured cornstarch) chicken w/ string beans, and mixed veggies for the side.

Took a bite of the eggplant and I hadn't remembered it's sweet! Uh oh. My taste buds have surely changed. I mean, it was seriously sweet, sweet-and-sour sweet, but no turning back. I ate and savored.

My bs was like this:

3:08 PM - 104
5:30 PM - first bite
5:57 PM - 136
<home now and scramble to drink a glass of red wine>
6:15 PM - first sip
6:24 PM - 142
7:13 PM - 96
9:18 PM - 85

Now, my bs does not come down like this so quickly, though does behave better w/ a glass of red, which is why I cracked open a bottle when I got home. My bs also has not been hanging in the 80's! - more like upper 90's, low 100's.

I know I can't eat like that very often, but now know I can have my eggplant/tofu on occasion. With wine!

Way cool.

Reactions: Patdart and Shanny

·
Registered
741 Posts
the old girl across the road swears by her glass of wine to lower her blood glucose...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Since the liver has to clear the toxins from the alcohol it will shut down converting carbs to glucose. That is why you see an initial bg drop. I normally do drink a glass or two of wine several times a week. Since I eat low carb I really haven't seen a big difference. Maybe I need to try a high carb meal. What I do find though when I do a highr carb meal when I eat out, my bgs are still pretty good that day but the next 2-3 days I see a small bg increase. I think it may be from an increase of stored glycogen in the liver.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have no references but...I can remember being told that people used to drink an apéritif before the evening meal to prepare the stomach for eating...I could be wayyyyy off base here but ummm to start the bile duct?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts