The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is VERY sweet and I am sure it will spike me, but ...

1 bunch leeks, cleaned, cut up from the bottom until it gets tough ...
2T Coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 winter squash (I used a hubbard) roasted until soft ca 1 hr at 350
I threw in 1/2 a (HUGE) red pepper, as well.
stock or water salt to taste if water, of course)
Goat or parmesan cheese or something else for garnish

Saute leeks in oil, add spices. Add squash, water, and cook down.

Run through blender or use an immersion blender. Serve sprinkled with cheese or squash or pumpkin seeds, if you like.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Leeks are so expensive in this part of the world! I saw some last week for $2.99 for 2. I love them, but????????

What do they cost where y'all live?????? I'm curious as to prices.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$2.50 for four. -- Not so bad.

You could substitute onions or shallots or part of each ... the original recipe called for onions.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The last winter squash we had was very sweet too - must be a good year for winter squash. I better try this soup - thanks!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sounds terrific. I use a lot of winter squash, especially butternut or acorn and it doesn't spike me too much.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My husband polished off the pot! LOL, that does not happen too often. My son liked it, too.

My meal consisted of a generous serving of the soup, a fake sausage (2g), and a LOT of pumpkin pie ... I controlled my BG effectively with my insulin (seems difficult at supper), and my morning numbers were not even so bad! This soup is a go!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Sounds delish. I'm going to make this - am on a leek soup kick. Had a hankering for the leek soup I used to make using potatoes as thickener. Then I realized - whoa! I don't eat low-fat anymore. So I made it the way I always wished I could: leeks sauteed in gobs of butter, simmered in water w/ some bouillon, run though blender, lots of heavy cream added to taste. Heaven.

Huzzah! Don't have to work around fat anymore. Julia Childs would be so proud.

Reactions: Shanny and foxl
1 - 7 of 7 Posts