The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have a case of the winter time blues. It is very cold in the Columbus Ohio area. We have had almost 12" of snow this week. For some folks, the sun is shining and everyone is wearing shorts and teashirts this time of the year. Cabin fever is setting in quickly. Does anyone have a a good joke? Does anyone have a funny story about their diabetes despite the fact that it is a terrible disease. You know diabetes is a full-time job. There are no days off. Just think how diabetes affects our everyday lives. From the time our eyes open in the morning until the last yawn of the night. I get tired of pricking my fingers, counting carbs, preparing my insulin shots, giving myself shots, taking my Actos & Glucotrol. And the cost of being diabetic is costly, ugh! I guess the only good thing I can say about my diabetes is that my blood sugar is under control. I have to work very hard every day. I like tight control. I feel happy when my meter readings are under 85 in the morning. I remember when my fasting blood sugar readings were above 170 and how frustrated I would feel. I have spent the last 6-9 months researching everything on diabetes and taking insulin. I did not know that diabetes would affect my life like it has. When I was diagnosed my diabetes was very mild. 10 years have gone by and my diabetes is much worse, but it is under control. Come into the lounge and say hi! Have a good day and night ;)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well kiddo, I've about had it with Ma Nature and her wintertime shenanigans too! We aren't getting much new snow, but it's colder than heck & the wind is blowing like fury. You know what THAT means! Chill index drops like a rock!

Y'know, you're right & I think it just hit me recently . . . the thing about this disorder is that there's never a break. No letup. Constant vigilance required. That's what wears us down. I don't mind the altered diet, I don't even mind poking my fingers, but to just always have to REMEMBER gets to me sometimes. No telling how I'll be ten years down the road like you are! If I'm a cranky old granny now, I'll prob'ly be hell-on-wheels by then!

I'm glad you came in & posted tonight . . . I guess I needed to get this off my chest too! :D :D :D

And since our resident llama has moved right up against my message box again, I guess I'll take a page out of isisagate's book & go . . .

Rama :llama: ding-dong!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You made me laugh for the first time today! I also have insomnia and can't sleep. I have been hanging out in the lounge for the last couple of hours. I am glad that this forum is open all day and night. I will probably write to everyone on here. LOL

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Weather Woes

The Becky and Shanny show, Lol! The weather is so strange this winter. We used to have snows that would be three feet deep back in the 1970s and early 1980s here in SE NY. Now there are winter days that the tems ar in the 40s so one snow melts before the next one smalls. We have had no more than 8 inches on the ground at any one time. My sister in Virginia has two feet of snow now. They are getting much more snow than we are in NY.

Becky, I was diagnosed when I was 6 and cannot remember what it was like brfore my diabetes started. I think that helps me. I don't feel like diabetes affects my life in a negative way because it is the only way I have ever known. I am comfortable with it. I am lucky that I can feel that way.

Sorry to hear about the bad weather there Shanny. Spring is just 39 days away. Something to look forward to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts