The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No offense, but I really wish I never had a reason to be on this site. I was diagnosed last week with T2 (fasting 154, A1c 8.9). It came totally out of the blue. No symptoms, no family history, felt great - just had bloodwork done for an insurance application and got back those results. Confirmed them with my GP last week, she started me on Metformin and now here I am. I see the diabetes educator next week to go over diet and get my meter, but until then I'm trying to reduce carbs. Ugh.

I'm totally still in the "anger" stage of dealing with this, with a little denial and depression thrown in. I absolutely HATE having to think about what I can and cannot eat and now I have to do it for the rest of my life. Of course, ever since my diagnosis, all I can think about are the foods that I shouldn't have. I feel like having a tantrum like my 3 year old does and yell about how much this sucks and is unfair. I know this dx isn't the end of the world and there could be alot worse news to deal with, but right now, where I am, it feels unbearable.

When does it get better?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It does get better, Maggie, but hard to say how long it might take. You are surely not alone with these feelings - we've all battled our way through it & are only slightly worse for the wear. It makes all the difference in the world having other diabetics to talk to, because they're the only ones who really understand. This forum has helped me more than I can ever give back. Sometimes we say 'welcome to the club none of us ever wanted to join'.

Just come visit us & rant/rave until you're tired of ranting & raving . . . then we can get on with helping you with a few tips/tricks to make it easier.

Take care & visit often.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Maggie, glad you've found us. I concur with Shanny: It will get easier, but everyone adjusts in their own time. Let us know how you do. There's always someone around here to answer questions or just let you know that you're not alone.

Jen

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Wish you didn't have to be here ... now that we've got that out of the way: Welcome!

I'd say nearly everyone is stunned when they get a diabetes dx, mostly for the same reason you cite. It's an invisible disease until it isn't, and you can be grateful it was caught before more damage was done.

I've said often that I was blessed to have been very sick when I got my diagnosis, so flipping my diet on a dime was easier. Was it fun? No. Did I pout? Yes. Since I've been on a number of diets in my life, and always failed, I thought: Terrific! Now my life depends on success - good luck with that!

Well, oddly, it hasn't been as difficult as I feared. There was an adjustment (close to zero fruit was the toughest - I accepted that kickin' 'n screamin'), but focusing on the new things I could eat that had not been in my largely low-fat diet for many years (butter in more than scant quantities, bacon, lots of brie, etc) gave me so relief from the mourning.

What made the adjustment easiest though was losing my carb cravings. Since my diet was so high-carb, I was hungry =a lot=. Eating low carb has freed me from that, so diabetes has been a (mostly) get-of-jail-free card.

Go over to the recipe section and browse. You'll find some new ways of preparing things, twists on some of your favorite foods, and discover your food-enjoyment life doesn't have to be over, just different.

This is a great resource - hope you get as much out of it as I have.

Reactions: Tiggletaggle

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Oh, how I know how you feel...I guess I am lucky since I found it by myself by accident, but I was so disappointed and do even now feel some anger!

Two important things:

You DID NOT cause this to happen to you...some of us may have perhaps helped it happen (I'm not even sure of that).

It is a very treatable condition if you put your mind to it.

I've lost 50 lbs since last July 1 and now have an A1C of 5.2 at last testing. I'm on no meds so far and I have some other health problems, but have faith, this is doable. Others will come along to aid you, but in the short term I'd go read the site, BloodSugar101 and then also read our recipe section and look for a note Beefy wrote and I believe it's a sticky on this site. The archives are also good reading if you are curious.

Ask all you need to and remember the only 'dumb' question is the one you didn't ask!

Good luck,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. It does help to know that I'm not alone and that I'm not the only one to have these feelings. None of my family or friends (or even friends of friends) have T2, so I don't feel like any of them really "get it." It will be good to have this place to come to.

Two quick questions -
1 - Any good book recommendations? There's so much out there, I don't know where to start.

2 - Should I be seeing an Endo in addition to my GP (or instead of)? I asked my GP about it and she basically said that it was up to me.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
The best place to start for solid information (with cited studies) is Blood Sugar 101

I chose to go to an endo, but it depends on how happy you are with your doc, how knowledgeable you think s/he is, etc. If cost/insurance is not a factor, my feeling is it couldn't hurt to try and find a good endo for long-term care.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to DF

Does it get better? Sadly diabetes has no cure, so the easy answer is 'no'

Does it get easier? Is probably a better question. I'd love to answer 'yes' to this, but for each of us, it's different.

Some days are better then others. Some days absolutely suck.

The best thing you can do right now as a newbie is to try to break yourself free of your (most likely) carbohydrate addiction.

I was a fat man when diagnosed and breaking my carb addiction has lead me to have little use for eating altogether. It's different for everyone though

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome, you have come to the right place. Everyone has great tips and ideas.
Good Luck,
Crystal

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Boy, do I know how you feel. I had absolutely no family history, I exercised a ton every day, I lifted weights, I ate a vegetarian low fat diet, I ate fruit and whole grains. I had never been sick or in the hospital except childbirth. I had put on weight starting in my early 40's after my last daughter was born, but I had taken most of that weight off by the age of 56. That is when I was surprised with my diagnosis. I had to totally rethink what healthy eating was. I now am back to eating meat, fat and don't eat whole grains or fruit. My diet is totally different but my bgs are almost normal now. So it is worth it. Beware of the dietician she may have you eating way too many carbs .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maggie, I am so there. Just diagnosed a couple of months ago, and I still go through the anger/depression/denial. I am 38, and I am pissed that I have to deal with this for the rest of my life. I have an almost three year old, and I only wish throwing a tantrum like she does would work. But, I don't let it work for her, and I know it won't work for me.
It sucks to be here, diabetes sucks, and I wish none of us had to be here. But, if I have to deal with it, at least I don't have to go it alone. And you don't, either.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Maggie ...

I am very glad you found us, and am equally sorry you had to!

Things do get better. (I didn't believe that for awhile, either.) But I believe all of us must rant now and then, regardless.

Please come often!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Maggie! I guess I'm different than most in that my diagnosis didn't phase me in the slightest. I wasn't expecting to get diabetes even though both my mother and sister have Type 2. Living with it still doesn't bother me…although the diet that I now need to adhere to bothers the heck outta me lol.

The way I see it, I was doing some very unhealthy things (sitting all day at the university, eating junk food/fast food everyday, smoking and not ever exercising. The heart attack/diabetes diagnosis woke me up and made me see how poorly I was taking care of myself. Now, three months later, i feel much healthier and know i have done something that will help me live longer.

Nobody deserves to have this disease put on them but getting control of it now means you will have a much better future.

·
Registered
90 Posts
HI Maggie

Just wanted to welcome you to the site :)

G

·
welcome Maggie :) I remember the feeling of being newly diagnosed and getting diagnosed with a chronic condition of any kind is not something you want to hear or put up with really. I have a few chronic conditions now apparently. I've had diabetes for 13 years now and you have those "wish I didn't have this thing" moments on and off all the time. It does interfere with your life a lot I find. People I know still don't understand what I have to deal with really and even what it is exactly. The best advice is to just stay positive no matter what as you will have your ups and downs. We're here and understand as we're all in the same boat. One or more of us is bound to have experienced something you have or we know someone who has. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Maggie....and welcome

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Maggie,

I found out on 5/22 I'm type 2. I agree it does get easier to deal with. L've known less then a month and the anger and fear has lessened a great deal. I'm sure you will experience the same. The support is here use it.

nerrad33

1 - 17 of 17 Posts