The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see you guys talking about snacks and stuff all the time. How do you guys keep up the weight loss while eating all that stuff?

·
Registered
741 Posts
All my snacks are zero-carb, that's how. Deviled eggs, hot wings, cheese crisps . . .
that is an excellent question...Im finding thats how I have to go also...no carb snacks!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. Lost nearly 75 lbs now. Exercising for anywhere from 1 to 3hrs a day at a madman's pace will do that. I'm probably a little over-the-top that way.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've gained 20 lbs since being diagnosed :( I think it's from the insulin and the food I have to eat at work... Hope to lose some weight over summer vacation.

Reactions: foxl

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I'm losing weight with plenty of snacks, but they're small (a handful of almonds)and my meals are modest. Once I stop losing, I'll need to see what I'm eating in calories - but in the meantime I'm enjoying not worrying about anything but carbs.

Reactions: RedPeony

·
Registered
716 Posts
moon said:
I'm losing weight with plenty of snacks, but they're small (a handful of almonds)and my meals are modest. Once I stop losing, I'll need to see what I'm eating in calories - but in the meantime I'm enjoying not worrying about anything but carbs.
What does Senior member mean. Are you a senior citizen like over 70 :) I am really curious where my weight loss will end as I am feeling like I am too skinny already. Have not been at this weight for 30 years

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Same as everybody else. Zero- or very low-carb snacks.

Also, my snacks are pretty small, and my meals are about the size my snacks used to be!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What does Senior member mean. Are you a senior citizen like over 70 :) I am really curious where my weight loss will end as I am feeling like I am too skinny already. Have not been at this weight for 30 years
You can always add more fat & protein to your meals/snacks, and it won't mess up your BGL. Eric (thosebackpages) started eating more cheese awhile back to try & stop HIS weight loss. You guys be careful - we can't have you dry up & blow away!

The different member designations are based on number of posts I think . . . although there ARE plenty of us drawing our Social Security, now that you mention it.
:D

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I eat low carb and to minimize insulin use, eat 2 meals per day -- blunch at 10 am, and after-school snack about 4:30 pm! And lots of fat.

Works for me.

I DO snack on weekends ... but then I skip blunch. Does not work soooo well ... but still keep it low carb.

O

·
0 Posts
well I eat regularly throughout the day and I don't over indulge. I keep my snacks small. I didn't actually start losing weight to be honest until I increased my food intake... I was really bad at skipping meals prior to diabetes. Since having diabetes I've lost weight and I've been eating on average every 4 hours or so. It makes sense though as when you don't eat you are slowing down your metabolism. :D If cautious of calories (and fat has plenty of that) then basically you snack on non starchy vegetables and things like that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can't be certain if it is due to my stomach surgery or my changed diet but I honestly feel I can now trust my own body to let me know when it needs nutrition or not. I am convinced that this is an innate ability we share with all other animals and although practises such as encouraging children to clean their plates may dull this ability, I do think we can learn to rely on it again.

I am pretty confident about my "safe" real whole food, low-carb choices so I don't count anything these days... least of all calories. Snacks are raw almonds, dark chocolate or a heaping teaspoon of peanut butter straight off the spoon usually.

According to my BMI I still have excess fat mass to lose and although my weight was stable (but comfortable) for several months, I recently dropped another 8lbs or so and appear to have stabilised again. It is great to feel I am working with my body instead of fighting against it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I eat at least 6 times a day... it's just better for my metabolism and blood sugar, and I loose weight better that way. Dinner is probably my only real "meal" and the others are more of a snack... a plate of veggies and dip here, or some cheese and nuts there, a salad for lunch... as long as I avoid the carbs, I still see weight loss, regardless of fat intake. Not sure what the calorie intake is.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think we are all different. I remember reading in Dr Bernstein's book if you are having problem with losing weight cut back on portions of nuts and cheese. I tend to eat a lot of those things and have been able to keep my weight in a 2-3 pound range for the past year. I think the trick is to keep the carbs low. The only time I go above my weight range is when I have started to add more carbs back in my diet. Whenever I go above 40 carbs a day, I gain weight. Also I think many of us don't calculate really well. If you are eating 2 or 3 CarbSmart Bars a day at 4 carbs each , you will gain weight. So you do have to snack smart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another reason it is possible to snack throughout the day and still loose weight is that eating regularly increase the metabolism for the whole day. It is recommended to eat a lot of small meals throughout the day to help loose weight. I don't think the exact number of calories is the whole story behind weight lose or gain. If you diet, and let yourself get hungry too often, your body will try to hold onto calories, as it begins to think it might not get food again soon and goes into a sort of starvation mode where it conserves energy.

So, lots of small meals / snacks are good for those who need to loose some weight. Healthy, low carb snacks of course.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I eat a steady stream of very low carb (and often high fat) food all day long. I'm typically in ketosis. The first couple months of eating like a pig this way I lost 45 pounds without trying. They just melted away. Ironically now that I've started exercising I've only lost a few more. I don't care. I've gone from obese on the BMI scale to within normal range and I'm getting stronger.

There's an old saying we always find things in the last place we look. For me the last place was low carb. It was the last thing I hadn't tried. Wish I'd have tried it years earlier.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
...I've gone from obese on the BMI scale to within normal range ...
Losing weight is great, but don't put too much stock in the BMI...

The BMI says I'm obese. And I'm 74.5" tall with a 36" waist. The BMI says anything over about 195 is 'overweight' at my height.

I'm nearly 230. I'd look pretty sickly at 195.

Rather than BMI, body-fat analysis is a much better indicator of proper weight. Alternately, look at yourself naked in a mirror... that NEVER lies.

Reactions: wdmama

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know if this is true for other male T2 Ds but for me the excess weight was nearly all belly. Dropped 6 inches of waistline. Digging my old skinny pants out of the closet is all the info I really need. :)

Losing weight is great, but don't put too much stock in the BMI...

The BMI says I'm obese. And I'm 74.5" tall with a 36" waist. The BMI says anything over about 195 is 'overweight' at my height.

I'm nearly 230. I'd look pretty sickly at 195.

Rather than BMI, body-fat analysis is a much better indicator of proper weight. Alternately, look at yourself naked in a mirror... that NEVER lies.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know if this is true for other male T2 Ds but for me the excess weight was nearly all belly. Dropped 6 inches of waistline. Digging my old skinny pants out of the closet is all the info I really need. :)
Yea, this is true for me as well. I still have my belly fat and it's why I still see myself as a fat man.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There are lots of people saying that coconut oil took off the belly fat, even people who weren't overweight, but had the spare tire. Have either of you tried adding coconut oil to your diets?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts