The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up with a fbg of 107, which is a little higher than I usually run, but not crazyterrible, and from that starting point I ate the breakfast I always eat: a hard-boiled egg on a piece of buttered toast. An hour later I'm feeling shaky and I measure my bg: 155! Thirty minutes later I measure it again: 165! Not liking the say this is heading -- and hating the way I'm feeling -- I leave my desk and run to the gym to work out. An hour later, my bg is down to a happy and healthy 102.

So what happened? Clearly the toast caused a spike, but why? Why did my body react so differently to a breakfast that, until today, had never given me any trouble? (My usual after-breakfast high is in the 120s.)

Could it be holdover from yesterday, when I went to Starbucks and had a small hot chocolate (with sugar-free syrup) and half a cranberry bliss bar (32 carbs total)? They didn't cause a spike when I ate them, but could they have somehow "primed" me for trouble today?

If I have to give up my daily piece of toast, I will. But I'd sure like to know what happened so I can avoid it in the future.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Could it be an adrenal rush increasing your insulin resistance? What were your emotions at the time like?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
First off Diabetes is unpredictable, what is safe one day may spike you the next. I do find though if I indulge in a treat that it does make my bgs higher for several days if not more. I think this is because when I eat more than 15 carbs at a time some of it gets stored in my liver and muscles as glycogen. So for several days there is extra glycogen to switch back to glucose whenever my body wants to.

Reactions: skb and MCS

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Every molecule of glucose produced by your digestive tract shows up sooner or later. It might show up directly - in 30 minutes to several hours depending on what else was eaten and how the whole meal affected digestion - or later after being stored as glycogen in either muscles or liver when some hormone signal or other tells the liver to "dump away" (or if/when the liver stops listening to insulin whose job it is to tell the liver to "grab and hold" when insulin is present).

But appear it must and it will.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could it be an adrenal rush increasing your insulin resistance? What were your emotions at the time like?
I felt emotionally relaxed, but not physically relaxed, because I was having, errr, digestive issues. Can that affect bg?

I do find though if I indulge in a treat that it does make my bgs higher for several days if not more. I think this is because when I eat more than 15 carbs at a time some of it gets stored in my liver and muscles as glycogen. So for several days there is extra glycogen to switch back to glucose whenever my body wants to.
I wondered about this. It sort of feels like what happened. It was so apparent that something was going on. Is that shaky feeling what people mean when they talk about a liver dump?

Reactions: foxl

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I wouldn't give up the toast after one day, I would try it again, 3 times gives better data to make a decision.

Some T2's pancreas's produces X amount of insulin, if you use more than what it can produce the out come means higher BGs

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dadnabbit! Another huge swing today. Breakfast sent me from 85 to 180 justlikethat. I know why. I needed fiber, so I took a chance and ate Wheaties for breakfast. Can't do that. :(

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Most days BG is pretty predictable, but on certain days I can throw my anticipation out of the window. Most of the times, it is the glycogen reserves coming into play, but there are times when the rise is completely unexplained. I usually attribute it to internal inflammation.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most days BG is pretty predictable, but on certain days I can throw my anticipation out of the window. Most of the times, it is the glycogen reserves coming into play, but there are times when the rise is completely unexplained. I usually attribute it to internal inflammation.
If it's the glycogen reserves, and those are high because I had a carb-y Christmas, it could take awhile for those to lower again. Is that right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts