The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
This is why I always have a back up meter. I carry one in my purse and have one upstairs. Many times companies will offer free meters, I have got several free this way. If your meter uses batteries have a spare on hand. I now use the USB Contour meter which you recharge in a wall outlet or a computer.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Nosugarforme, are you okay now? Did you eat something to raise blood sugar? It sounds like you were hypoglycemic. You must not allow your meter to run out of battery or test strips. As jwags suggested, have a back up meter for this reason.

Please respond on the forum so we know you are okay....please?

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thanks for responding. I'm glad you are better. You must not be without a working meter for that exact reason as to what happened to you. I know how scary those feelings are, but if you don't know whether you are high or low with your bg's, you cannot take the proper action to correct it.

Take care. Glad you are alright.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If you dont have a meter and feeling like getting a hypo (dizzy or lost or headaches, trembling etc) just have something sweet. Like a glass of coke or juice.

A higher BG for a few minutes or hours will not do any significant harm but extremely low BG can be very very dangerous

Tony

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Glad you are feeling better. I have to admit I don't carry a meter everywhere with me. But I always have some type of 15 gram carb snack with me to munch on when I feel that "low feeling". If you go to the home page of most meter companies you will usually find free offers. Sometimes I get the free meters just to get the 25 free strips. But it is good to have backup meters and batteries. Also most meter companies will send you free batteries if you call the 1-800 number.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Glad you are feeling better. I have to admit I don't carry a meter everywhere with me. But I always have some type of 15 gram carb snack with me to munch on when I feel that "low feeling". If you go to the home page of most meter companies you will usually find free offers. Sometimes I get the free meters just to get the 25 free strips. But it is good to have backup meters and batteries. Also most meter companies will send you free batteries if you call the 1-800 number.
With just metformin, do you still feel low sometimes ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts