The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a type 2 diabetic and nowhere near needing a pump but I was wondering how you decide what pump is right for you? I have heard of the OmniPod and thought if I ever needed a pump that would be the one I want. But I really don't know anything about them and I wondered how those pumping decided which pump they wanted. Thanks for educating me. :D

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Ruby, the decision was made for me. I wanted a Cosmo pump but my endo said she dealt with Minimed pumps and no others. The pump trainer knew how to train with Minimed pumps but not other types. Now I hear Cosmo pumps are being discontinued so I feel lucky it has worked out this way.

I know many people who use the Minimed pumps. It is the leading company. I also know quite a few using the Omnipod. They seem very happy with their choice. The Animas pump is used for children and some adults too. It is especially appropriate for children because they are usually very sensitive to insulin and need very small unit increases in their basals or boluses. The Animas allows for 0.025 unit increments. My Minimed allows 0.05 increments which is fine for me. There are not really many choices now that the Cosmo pumps are no longer available. Well, actually, I think the deadline is yet to come but it will be very soon.

Accuchek, the meter company, makes a pump but I have never read about anyone using one on the websites.

Any other questions?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Richard. I could see how dosage amounts would matter. I had no clue the different meters had different dosage amounts. *sigh* So many things I don't know!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey Ruby:

I thought that you were doing Good on the Byetta? Pumps are only for Insulin.

My Endo made an appointment for me with the Pump Educator. I was showed all the pumps at my appointment with the Pump Educator. She explained all of them and let me and my Hubby play with them and we asked all our questions. (Yes, I dragged my Hubby with me since he's the Techno saavy one). We both agreed on the Animas 2020(tubing), if I wanted one. Since the Omnipod(no tubing) isn't approved in Canada yet. People do have problems with the sensors sometimes. They still like it though since they do not have the tubing getting caught on things. The Ping(no tubing) isn't approved here yet either. Many like the MiniMed Paradigm(has the tubing) also but it is up to the Person who uses it. There is also the Acu-chek Spirit(tubing). Not many use it but the ones that do seem Happy with it.

Some People go from one pump to another if they are not Happy with the one they are using and if their Insurance allows them to. If you don't get a lemon pump or supplies, and tech is easy to you or your SO, then any could work for you(if you don't get a lemon). Some People just get fed up with pumps because they can't get their sugars down or hate being attached to a pump 24/7, so they go back to multiple daily injections(MDI).

Pumping Insulin is a Good book to read, whether you pump or not.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Actually John Walsh wrote two books. He wrote "Using Insulin" for people who inject and "Pumping Insulin" for pumpers. He is a great author.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, Terrie, I am in no way needing a pump. I am not even on insulin or really anywhere near needing insulin. I take metformin and Byetta and am doing well on those. I think I did state in my original post I was no where near needing a pump! Sorry for the confusion. I was just wondering about pumps as I am learning so much about diabetes from everyone. I watched a couple youtube videos on the omnipod pump. One, I think, was the daughter of a member here another was of a man demonstrating how the omnipod works and he made a video of putting it on himself. It was very interesting. I just wondered how people decided which pump they needed/wanted.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Oh okay Ruby. I'm so Glad that you are doing okay then. A Person really should see and play with the pumps in order to choose one.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Sam, use the information on this site. You should look at each type available and use Google to find more information. Ask all the questions you want here too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts