Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Work & Glucose Levels

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  naynay 
#1 ·
Is it safe to go to work when your glucose levels are high? At what levels should you stay home and rest? Sometimes I am at work and my levels are high. I feel a little lightheaded and just a little disoriented. It does not happen all the time but it has happened. Do any one know at what level you should stay home and rest? Please advise. Thanks in advance.:confused:

#5 ·
Be careful should you leave work during a high or, like me, you could end up experiencing a reactive hypoglycemia low in the car on the way home.

Everyone is different in terms of how highs and lows feel to them. For some it matters most what their bodies are accustomed to most recently. For some going down to 100 feels like a hypo. Others are completely hypo and hyper unaware.

I'd say if you're questioning your judgement at a given time it probably is impaired and not a good time to be running machinery or making important business decisions. On the other hand it isn't a good time to be driving home either.

#6 ·
My boss took the team out to eat. At a pizza joint at that. I did eat and my levels were high. So I took my meds and I had a big drop, so I ate something sweet to bring it up and I guess I went to high. Since I lost about 30 pounds, seems like I cannot get my levels right. I will either have a big drop, if I take my meds or if I don't take them my levels will rise again.

#7 ·
Brand, I hate to say this, but you've been around this forum long enough to realize you cannot eat regular pizza! If the boss took the group out to a pizza joint for food, you can always order an anti-pasta salad with italian dressing...skip any bread or croutons! So you ate pizza, numbers went high, corrected with meds (I'm assuming insulin?), and then went too low so you ate sweets to bring it back up and you ended up overshooting and went right back to high. Do you see the rollercoaster effect you are doing here? This is why you are not stable with your blood sugars. You would have even been okay if you just ate the toppings off the pizza and left the crust. I know, no fun but this is safest for a diabetic. You must accept the fact that your body does not digest and deal with those simple carbs the way a non-diabetics body does! Then, you overcorrected and went low. You should carry glucose tabs or glucose gel with you to correct a hypo. You do not need to eat sweets that are absolutely no good for a diabetic! Again!

I'm sorry if I sound like a witch (with a b?) right now, but I eat correctly and struggle with getting my bg's down. When those diabetics who have been here and see how others are handling their blood sugars with low carb high fat options just ignore it, it makes me wonder why you come here to find a better option and then just ignore it? I'm like an overprotective Mom, and you are not doing your body any favors by rollercoastering this way. You need to fully accept that you cannot and must not eat those types of carbs, and then try to correct low's with sweets. There are proper ways to correct lows without jeapordizing those huge swings.

Now, hug it out with me (((((((hugs))))))). I'm not intending to be mean, just get frustrated. Take care of yourself. If you don't, no one else will.

#8 ·
I've experienced that too, to a lesser extent since I'm pre-D. I went to a work lunch meeting and the lunch was pizza. I didn't have any backup plan so I ate some (there were almost no toppings, I would have had to eat an entire pizza myself if I ate just the toppings). I felt horrible later during the high, then had cravings when I hit the low. Now I will take some low-carb bars or nuts with me to a work lunch in case it turns out to be something carberiffic again.

#10 ·
NayNay you are absolutely right! And no worries. You are not saying anything my mom has not told me. I need the truth and don't get frustrated with the answers I receive. I need feedback from this site. I know not all feedback is going to be sweet but is going to be the truth as you know it and I want to hear the truth. Thanks.

#12 ·
I'm glad you did not take offense to what I had to say Brand. I do care about everyone here, and it is just so difficult sometimes to keep those bg's down, even when you are doing everything right. It is easy to give in to those temptations and the "just a little won't hurt". But, even a little does hurt and that's what you have to always keep in mind. You may think that it's just easier to go with what everyone else is doing, but everyone else is not a diabetic. Eat what you can til your hearts content, but keep it in the boundaries of what you know is safe for you and your blood sugars.

Reactions: Shanny
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.