The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do y'all deal with the stress of employers putting limitations on what they allow you to do because they think you can't do much cause you're a diabetic.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
While I can't be certain, I think I lost an Adjunct Professor position this summer because the university I work for thought I wouldnt be able to do the job after my heart attack this past spring where I also was dxed with diabetes. It has been very hard for me to accept since the job was exactly what I have been helping students with for the past 3 years (voluntarily). Everyone in the dept knows that I'm the best person to do the job but it went to a friend instead (whom I'm happy for but still!).

·
Registered
206 Posts
A few years back, I was purely and simply discriminated against by certain staff members and one manager. Not only some duties were taken away from me but I was not considered for a promotion. Funny because I never called in sick, and I did a really good job. In fact, I worked harder than anyone else. Oh! There was age discrimination too as most workers were in their early 20s. There was no way to educate them. It was an awful place. I left. Some battles are worth fighting. Some aren't.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is nice to know that I'm not alone. I'm in law enforcement and their is alot of jobs that I get passed over for cause they think I'm not capable of doing it. What makes it easier to handle is new way of looking at it. Thank you

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Would it be possible for you to get a doctor's statement that details what you are capable of doing? (A simple statement of "no limitations" might suffice.) Hopefully, your employer would accept that.

Since you're in law enforcement, I'm assuming it's a public agency. But private firms have Human Resources departments too.

Human Resources Your direct boss(es) may not have a clue about dealing with employees' medical conditions. But Human Resources should be familiar with situations like yours, and be able to provide guidelines for them. There may even be a division or a staffer that specializes in employee disability. HR -- or the office dealing with disability -- may even have a sample form for your doc to fill out.

I'm in civil service, and have been a union steward. Often, employee services do exist, but may not be easy to find. (Even with my background, I almost lost a lot of pay when I broke my leg, just because I didn't know my temporary disability rights.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done that and that helped a little but when special Ops opportunities open up other unqualified individuals are selected over me. When I ask why that is when all the stories begin to flow

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I've done that and that helped a little but when special Ops opportunities open up other unqualified individuals are selected over me. When I ask why that is when all the stories begin to flow
Yuck. I've seen that sort of thing in my workplace, too. Are you in a union?

·
Registered
554 Posts
One of my "bosses" is a newly diagnosed Type 1 so no problems with that here.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Nope federal they wont allow it
Sorry, I don't understand. What's not allowed?

And, uhh, if you weren't replying to me at all ... please excuse!

·
Registered
322 Posts
wether its out right discrimination or just lack of knowing, the preception of our employers can greatly effect how we move up through the work place.

even if we had a doc's note that said we could do any job, if the employer has a concern they might choose another person. even if they are less qualified.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
wether its out right discrimination or just lack of knowing, the preception of our employers can greatly effect how we move up through the work place.

even if we had a doc's note that said we could do any job, if the employer has a concern they might choose another person. even if they are less qualified.
Yup. I'd start by assuming lack of knowledge. After all, dealing with disability -- perceived or actual -- is not part of normal operations for most employers.

Even so, an advocate (e.g., union rep or attorney) may be vital for educating the employer and securing an employee's rights, to the benefit of both.

I served as a union steward while working in a federal agency (Social Security). At that time, all federal agencies had unions (though some of those unions were weak, or worse). Has this changed? Federal employees cannot strike, but our local was pretty effective in resolving grievances. We also had some success in mediating between employees and management to resolve conflicts before they reached the grievance stage.

To the OP ... you deserve some answers, not just a series of stories. Hopefully your Chief can bring that about. But if I lacked union protection, I'd still look into Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) rights on my own.

The link above is for the federal employee complaint process.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I definitely feel Im getting treated differently since I have been diagnosed.. i wish I didnt have to tell them at all, but I had to pull FMLA papers.

They wont let me travel for business anymore.. they keep saying its not needed but its pretty funny that have trained 3 people to go out and do what I used to.. you tell me?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts