The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days before her 13th birthday Syd was diagnosed with Level One Diabetes. I have lots of questions:
Syd pricking her fingers (which are very sore). Is there any other different pricking solutions?
We measure all her food and she also is giving herself shots. The Dr. is currently having problems getting her levels down. Her mother checks her levels at midnight and 3:00am.
I need info on the insulin pump. Any issues with it.
Syd went back to school today and it was very upsetting. She told her mother she wanted to be normal again.
If you have anything to help us please let me know. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
299 Posts
As the grandmother of a 13 year old girl, I know how you must feel - we'd so much rather have something like this happen to us then to them. I'm so sorry both of you are going through this.

On the other hand, there are worse things that can happen. I think the more you treat her the same as you did before and don't baby her, the more normal she will feel. It's best for her if she can accept it as a fact and move on, if she feels normal she can pretty much be normal.

Vicky

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just be honest with her and tell her that it is never going to go away. The sooner she realizes that life is not always fair the better off she will be. As far as a pump goes I would wait for at least a year. Her numbers will come down but she has be honest about what she eats and when she is eating it for her Drs. to help her.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I hope she is using the side of her finger tips, much less pain (fewer nerve endings on the side of the finger).

Many meeter's can be used on blood from the fore arm or base of the thumb. Meeter owners manual should tell you where you can get blood from.

I know the new test strips with the freestyle lite meeter (made by Abbott) use very Little blood (smaller poke). And with the free style I know you can use the fore arm.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thirteen is a tough age to start being dramatically different from most of the rest of the student body, but depending on where you live, there may be other young diabetics unbeknownst to you. It seems like most large schools have a few who have to check in with the school nurse for their tests etc. I expect the school nurse was brought in on this before she returned to school, right?

Syd does need to accept that this is not going to change, and that she can be gracious and take responsibility for controlling it or she can rebel and resist and make her own life & health miserable. What she eats is going to make a major difference in how hard it is to bring her numbers down, so I hope she has given up sugary sodas and other carby foods.

Stay in touch and ask all the questions you want . . . some of us are grandparents too, and you can fill a great need for her by treating her like you always have and letting her know she's the same great kid she always was - she just happens to have diabetes. She shouldn't be defined by this disorder - she is still Syd.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I feel very fortunate to not have been dx'd until I was in my twenties. That being said, we can all appreciate the longing to "just be normal again"! I certainly hope that she does get it.
I would get on the pump as soon as possible. I am working with my insurance to get on one and I have only been Type 1 since the end of May.
I would also direct her to this forum if she is willing. It is a great place to vent. I know for me it seems like the only place I can honestly talk. I know my family is behind me 100% and that they have empathy for my situation, but they do not *understand* how it is to live with diabetes. Just today I had a low blood glucose reaction which made me a little grumpy. My dad made a joke, totally in love and not offensive at all, that this diabetes thing sucks and is getting on his nerves. I joked back that he could have it for a week and then he would really have some choice words to say about it. But here everyone knows what it is like and we can all share our stories. I know it sounds crazy but diabetes is much easier to live with thanks to the wonderful people on this forum.
And come back and visit us often yourself. Your granddaughter needs you and no matter how she shows it, your concern and support means a lot to her.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
(just a note - there's a minimum age requirement for membership here, and that is 18) :(
That is why we make a good team Shanny. Sorry about that. Maybe it is something she can do with her mother?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello grandmother, welcome! You have been given good advice. I recommend that you join the site especially created for parents of diabetic children, including teens. Here is the link for that site:

children with DIABETES Online Community

I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. There was no device for testing blood sugar back then. Urine testing was all I had back then, but it is not reliable at all. Your grandaughter was diagnosed at a time that has so much better information, better doctors and wonderful technology. There are many very young children who use a pump. I love my pump.The parents on the site I recommended can answer all your questions about testing and pumping.

Good luck to you and your grandaughter!

Richard

·
Registered
221 Posts
I agree with Richard. The Children with Diabetes Website is an awesome place. They even have a forum for children your granddaughter's age. Also they have awesome conferences throughout the year where one can meet other families dealing with Diabetes and make some awesome friendships along the way. The big one is the Friends for Life Conference in Florida every year. I go to the mini-conferences in Seattle every 2 years and wouldn't miss them for anything.
Also I really encourage your granddaughter to start looking at using an insulin pump as soon as possible. Yes it is still a lot of hard work, but it is so worth it. If she gets an opportunity to go to a CWD Conference with her parents and you she will get to see a ton of pumps and even try the different ones out using saline solution. Even the parents can try them out.
Also your granddaughter will make friendships with other kids her age who are going through the same thing. She will be able to meet others who get it. Being a teen is hard enough but being a teen with D is even harder. She will learn that D should not hold her back but she can do anything she wants to be as long as she takes care of her D. Right now things are overwhelming but it will become a new kind of normal. Again your granddaughter is so blest to have you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Two days before her 13th birthday Syd was diagnosed with Level One Diabetes. I have lots of questions:
Syd pricking her fingers (which are very sore). Is there any other different pricking solutions?
We measure all her food and she also is giving herself shots. The Dr. is currently having problems getting her levels down. Her mother checks her levels at midnight and 3:00am.
I need info on the insulin pump. Any issues with it.
Syd went back to school today and it was very upsetting. She told her mother she wanted to be normal again.
If you have anything to help us please let me know. Thanks so much!

Hi,

That's regrettable but I suggest you seek for all the specialized help you can get because 13 is very young and that means settling a very strict plan in a lot of ways for her future...Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts